Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
on line
22,508 Posts
So should I be ordering the new bolts before I do my install?
I would highly recommend it. Go through this thread to hear about what happens when using the stock bolts, and look at the photos including those I just posted. That's what you might be expecting if you use the stock bolts. All the answers and background and even photos of the bolt necking and spacer to bolt clearances are there. Even the info about the bolts you need are all in this thread. Take 10 minutes to read it. It will be worth it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Think our local fastenal will have them? I could probably go there and have them order them to the store so I don't have to pay shipping. I also need new UCA and LCA bolts (I'm going to replace the LCAs, and I'm sure at least one of those bolts is gonna be seized up).

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Think our local fastenal will have them? I could probably go there and have them order them to the store so I don't have to pay shipping. I also need new UCA and LCA bolts (I'm going to replace the LCAs, and I'm sure at least one of those bolts is gonna be seized up).
I bought mine at Fastenal. In store was much cheaper than online.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Well, I see there are 2 fastenal stores here in Vegas so I have no reason not to do this. My 2.0 coilovers are over 4 years old now so I expect that the spacers will likely not be happy though the shop that changed my springs didn't say anything about them when they made the change. Looking at Surf's pictures, his spacers look more like the ones for the 2.5" coils than the 2" ones on Radflo's site.

the 2.5"

The 2"

or are those the spacers for the rear shock, not the coils?

They also say 4 spacers are included. Enough to replace spacers on one shock. I only remember using 2 on each coil so these likely are for the rears.

I want to get the right parts, and remember someone saying at one point there are 2 different sizes for these depending on the age of your coils so I guess I need to take some pictures and measurments but would have prefered to not have to take them off until I had the new parts to put it. Why can it never be easy?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well, I see there are 2 fastenal stores here in Vegas so I have no reason not to do this. My 2.0 coilovers are over 4 years old now so I expect that the spacers will likely not be happy though the shop that changed my springs didn't say anything about them when they made the change. Looking at Surf's pictures, his spacers look more like the ones for the 2.5" coils than the 2" ones on Radflo's site.

the 2.5"

The 2"

They also say 4 spacers are included. Enough to replace spacers on one shock. I only remember using 2 on each coil so these likely are for the rears.

I want to get the right parts, and remember someone saying at one point there are 2 different sizes for these depending on the age of your coils so I guess I need to take some pictures and measurments but would have prefered to not have to take them off until I had the new parts to put it. Why can it never be easy?
The bottom spacers go in the top mount bearings .

·
on line
22,508 Posts

They are from my front Radflo 2.0s. Mine had 4 per shock. I had the older steel top mounts. They required them. The new aluminum mounts use different spacers.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have the steel ones too. I don't think we need to replace the top spacers for the bolt problem so do I need the spacers that they say are for the 2.5's for the bottom of the 2.0's or is it something they don't have on the site and I need to call and ask for them?

Thanks in advance.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I have the steel ones too. I don't think we need to replace the top spacers for the bolt problem so do I need the spacers that they say are for the 2.5's for the bottom of the 2.0's or is it something they don't have on the site and I need to call and ask for them?

Thanks in advance.
Last time I bought them I just called Radflo and they knew what I needed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So to sum up the updated materials needed for one side:

Yellow Zinc
(1) 14-1.5 x80mm bolt DIN 960 Class 10.9
(2) 14mm Washers DIN 125 (or just one washer per side since going with 80mm vs 90mm?)
(1) 14-1.5 DIN 934 Class 8 hex nut

Torque to 155 ft/lbs
If clunking persists, look into replacing the spacer.

Edit: Yes. 1 washer should do it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Any advice on how to get the lower shock bolt out? The nut came loose and can come off but the bolt won't budge from its position .. it'll spin freely with the bushing when the nut is off but won't back out at all

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Heat. Try and get some needle nose vise grips in there to hold on to each bushing piece and rotate them. Hopefully with the heat you could get it to free up. Otherwise sawzall and order new bushings.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Swapped lcas in August .. testament to Antiseize that I forgot about back then. Just picked up a heat gun and will tackle again when checking torques on newly installed wheel adapters in about a week. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey guys I'm pretty positive I'm experiencing the RadFlo clunk. I've got the stock bolts on my RadFlos, and both sides have a clunk to them, identical on both sides of the vehicle.

I can't think that we left the same thing loose on both sides of the vehicle, as we double-checked everything while we were reassembling the front end, plus a visual inspection (including pulling and shaking parts) reveals nothing else to be loose (tie rod ends are nice and tight, CVs are good, ball joints are good and the control arm bolts are all tight).

I mentioned it previously and someone shot it down, but I'm pretty positive it's the RadFlo clunk, it occurs mostly when going downhill over bumps, but will occur all the time over bumpy roads where the vehicle's suspension is experiencing downtravel, seems uptravel doesn't really cause the clunk (which makes sense, considering that if the bolt is too small inside the eyelet of the shock, the vehicle's weight will be resting on it, so when it's compressed we wouldn't hear a clunk, only during extension and downtravel would it 'clank' as the shock moves that 0.5-1mm).

I don't think it's Coil bucket contact, as it occurs over minor bumps like washboard, and there has been no marks on the UCAs or the coil bucket. I do have torn boots, but they are leaking at pinholes in the seams which to me is kind of discouraging as far as SPC's boot quality goes.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts