Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When reading through my manual I noticed these two statements:

Do not use with accessories that exceed a 12 volt, 120W (10A) power draw.

Avoid using power outlets when the air conditioner, headlights or rear window defroster is on.

First off all, 120W power draw, in my jeep I regularly ran a 300w heater (one of those small barely any heat kind) with not apparent problems. I am not sure how much wattage it pulled for sure but. would the X have a problem if I hooked this up? I doubt I ever will need to but would like to be able to. I am getting a power inverter that is 200W, would this be an issue, I assume so?

Can the X not support the AC, headlights and rear defroster on while having an accessory plugged in, I would think this shouldn’t be a problem?

I normally run an IPOD on a charger and when I go camping I will have IPOD, rechargeable lantern, a cell phone to hook up (really roughing it huh).

Let me know your opinions or experiences or if this has been discussed can you please link me I couldn’t find any thing in my search. (feel free to post the you suck at the internet pic)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
If your heater draws less then 120W, then it will run. Go over 120W and your fuse will blow.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Although i don't have an answer, it's a good question that i don't think has really been discussed so i'm sure some of these guys will be more than willing to help you out!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I can tell you this.

I have run a spotlight, air compressor, and Koolatron 12 Volt Freezer all at the same time with no problems. I admit it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but no fuses burned.
________
Vapor bros vaporizer

·
on line
335 Posts
its probably a liability thing...so when you run stuff, and one of the outlets doesn't work...

Nissan can just say "look! i told you so!" ....

·
on line
376 Posts
Last time I went camping we drained the batt. and no one could get to us unless they had a good 4X4 so we had to push it down to a spot where some one could jump us........Long story

Batt isnt as strong as it should be so be careful!!!!!!11

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XterraOverload said:
Last time I went camping we drained the batt. and no one could get to us unless they had a good 4X4 so we had to push it down to a spot where some one could jump us........Long story

Batt isnt as strong as it should be so be careful!!!!!!11
I have read that the bat dies quickly, but if she is running it should hold a charge. My old battery in my jeep I could leave the head lights on all night and it would start right up (only happened 2 or 3 times). It was a monster though with 900 cold crankin' amps to start it on those cold Minnesota mornings.

So really then the 120 seems like a Nissan precaution and maybe so you don't run the battery out, but the system itself can handle a larger load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts