Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case you guys were wondering, the Visible Light Transmission % (VLT%), which is used as a measure to tint percentage, for the front windows are 73%.

For the rears, it's 22%.

It's mainly for those wanting to know what percentage to get in order to match the rears.

·
on line
631 Posts
Hey thats what Utah Highway Patrol used on my Xterra... and gave me a ticket!! Damn you UHP! According to them I now have 47% up front and 4% in the rears :cheers:

Thanks for the info tho... I've always wanted to know what the factory fronts were.

·
on line
245 Posts
hollywoodstylin said:
For the rears, it's 22%.
Thanks for getting that information out there, but i'm not sure that tool was being completely accurate. I only say this because i read up on the tint laws for Oregon, and it says that neither the front or rear windows can be below 35% light transmission. So unless the car is coming out of the factory with legality issues in some states, that reading is wrong. But then again if the UHP was using it then i guess i'm a little confused?
:drunken:

·
on line
631 Posts
CHurt said:
hollywoodstylin said:
For the rears, it's 22%.
So unless the car is coming out of the factory with legality issues in some states, that reading is wrong. But then again if the UHP was using it then i guess i'm a little confused?
:drunken:
I think UHP is confused. I was driving thru the state of Utah with Nevada plates and I still got a ticket. $50!! I have many run-ins with UHP for things that they just feel like pulling you over for, but this isnt the thread for it. And I always get pulled over by the UHP traveling the opposite direction!

But I agree with you on the state laws regarding window tint. If the factory is selling vehicles with 22%, why have the state law at 35% or 47%. Clark County (Las Vegas), Nevada has the window tint law also but doesn't enforce it. The undercover and unmarked cars here have 5% limo tint front and rear.

·
on line
245 Posts
driver X said:
I think UHP is confused. I was driving thru the state of Utah with Nevada plates and I still got a ticket. $50!! I have many run-ins with UHP for things that they just feel like pulling you over for, but this isnt the thread for it. And I always get pulled over by the UHP traveling the opposite direction!

But I agree with you on the state laws regarding window tint. If the factory is selling vehicles with 22%, why have the state law at 35% or 47%. Clark County (Las Vegas), Nevada has the window tint law also but doesn't enforce it. The undercover and unmarked cars here have 5% limo tint front and rear.
I think the HP, no matter what state you're in, is just looking to hand out tickets. But back to the topic of tinting, well, i am still confused... haha
:scratch:

·
on line
1,420 Posts
There "use to be" nothing illegal with the Nissan BACK windows being 22%...that reading means only 22 percent of light is getting through per that VLT% meter.....

See most states didnt care about the BACK windows..except i have seen that Texas/Oregon and others now have the back roll up windows as 25% and 35%, when it used to be like Utah and say "any darkness can be used"......

That being said - it is a concern now because i myself am having issues getting a plain jane state inspection.....i have been to a few places and they don't want to inspect my Nissan because they say my tint is too dark -

-im like "look dude, there is no tint at all" its factory smoke glass"...

-either way they tell me NO and one guy at one place said, you may wanna look into having that glass replaced with clear" i was like "WTF"....

---AND, given that the front is 73% from the factory, you have to find a tint guy that will install tint onto the already 73% smoke factory glass that wont fall under the 25% mark, so, essentially you have to find a tint guy with a very light 48% or higher tint instock to install on your car, and nearly all tint shops only carry 35% tint....(meaning 35% legal compliant not light vlt%, so who knows its actual vlt unless i get some tint and put it on clear glass and use a vlt% meter to test it)......

So for example, my 35% tint Xterra and Nissan Titan on my factory 73% front windows still somehow yields under 25% VLT% on their dammn meters for my fronts too......its silly becuase i have the legal decal saying its 35% compliant..

TEXAS:
How dark can window tint be in Texas?
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Back Side Windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in. - FACTORY is 22% so now what???!??!?
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Sticker Requirements: The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window. - i have the damn sticker!!

UTAH:
How dark can window tint be in Utah?
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows: Must allow more than 43% of light in.
Back Side Windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

OREGON:
How dark can window tint be in Oregon?
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread, but its a legit bump....

Texas changed its law on the rear windows...22% from factory fails the 25% rule they have now for the rear roll ups...

-J

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The fact that a lot of Police Dept. use 5% tint on the unmarked cars, even though it violates the state law for everyone else is a give away they are a cop. Just seems ironic if you think about it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Idk how the laws pertain to law enforcement in your state, however, being a police officer myself I can tell you that 99.9% of vehicle codes are written to exclude an emergency vehicle (I.e. police car, ambulance, fire truck, etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts