Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know a ton of people have to go through a process to get their trucks to shift into and out of 4x4, I wanna hear what you have to do.

Mine is stubborn as hell. I have to take it to Mcdonalds and get her 17 big macs, then do three left hand turns humming the sound track to mission impossible, do one PERFECT backwards 180, drive 78.6 feet exactly forward in a straight line, then I gotta run two laps around the truck, jump back in, turn the radio to 102.1AM, beep the horn 2.5 times, stick it in natural, and put the switch into 2wd.

Thats just for 4H to 2wd....4Low is even more involved. I almost got arrested last time......silly X.

Whats your technique?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I miss the good'ol day when turning the switch worked mosta of the time. As it has gotten older and lifted the longer it takes to shift. Going into 4lo is such a pain in the ass.

Would a new t-case actuator/motor solve this? Im afraid ill get stuck, want to go into 4lo and it wont switch cause I cant roll around.

·
TNX Administrator
20,476 Posts
Turn Switch to 4lo and go until it engages.
Turn Switch to 2wd and back up a few feet, which disengages it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how are you going when it needs to be in neutural when going in/out of 4low?

·
on line
951 Posts
181000 miles, mine is a little finicky coming out of 4hi. Sometimes I have to turn a bit, sometimes I have to downshift, sometimes a quick yank on the e brake does the trick. I think its a woman and very moody at times.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Mine sometimes works perfect and sometimes not. When not I usually back up a little. If that doesn't work I go back or forward a little and throw it into neutral and let it coast a little. One of those usually works.

·
on line
515 Posts
The system is looking (oddly enough) for the same conditions that would make you engage 4wd to begin with...slip! Or a difference in front/rear axle speeds. Any demand on the system for both axles that is equal will keep the system engaged.

All of these have worked for me:
Hard right or left turn.
Downshift by auto kick down (5 to 4 or 4 to 3) at speeds less than 40 MPH.
Reverse
Driving on a slippery surface and blipping throttle.

I've never seen it disengage on dry pavement going straight at any speed. We encounter this a lot between the Pathy and the X in winter. One road will be 3-4 inches of packed snow and the main road you turn onto is dry as a bone. Disengaging early always does the trick. Waiting until you are fully on dry pavement and it blinks forever.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was in and out of 4hi a few times with the snow we had over the weekend and getting out of 4hi while driving with my manual is as simple as turning knob to 2wd, depressing clutch, pull out of gear(leave clutch in and coast for a second), it blinks once then into 2wd,put it back in gear and release clutch(matching RPMs of course). Its never been an issue going in or out. I got used to the old "switch on the fly" system in my bronco IIs that needed to go into neutral to disengage.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I miss the good'ol day when turning the switch worked mosta of the time. As it has gotten older and lifted the longer it takes to shift. Going into 4lo is such a pain in the ass.

Would a new t-case actuator/motor solve this? Im afraid ill get stuck, want to go into 4lo and it wont switch cause I cant roll around.
Lift has nothing to do with getting in and out of 4WD. ....when was the last time you changed the oil in the transfer case?

Preventive maintenance goes a long way.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
I kind of miss the days of having manual hubs and a manual transfer case. My Isuzu had automagic hubs, but I swapped them out for Warn manual hubs. If there was a question about traction, lock them in and drive around. If you needed 4x4, then shift the transfer case lever. If you wanted out, then shift it back out. As it got older (150K miles or so) it started being more stubborn coming out, but a quick blip of the throttle always managed to persuade it.....none of this flip the switch and hope it comes out nonsense that I've put up with since day one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have issue getting into 4lo? I can not seem to ever get my truck into 4low when I need it.

What is the motor unit called on the T-case doing all this switching? I want a new one.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lift has nothing to do with getting in and out of 4WD. ....when was the last time you changed the oil in the transfer case?

Preventive maintenance goes a long way.
Well after lifting, it has gotten much more sensitive. Drive shaft angle....I dont know, lifting has made it worse though.

Oil has been changed. For sure not the issue. This problem plagues xterras.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts