Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had forgotten about this thread, so here's some of the fun we've been up to.

First off, added some horsepower:

The I got to ride her from Parachute into Moab. Somewhere along that ride, my AGV Sport sticker decided to give up the ghost. Sad times.

Then we went riding through Arches one day instead of wheeling.

Next up: Riding from Mordor to the Outer Banks, via 555 and the Midland Trail.

On Deck: IBA SS ride - going around the lower great lakes, little over 1,000 miles in one day.

Past that: Another ride down to NC, this purely for motorcycle fun.

I love this.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
StormTrooper1 aka Gretchen (Big,fat,ugly,white,and German:laugh:)

2015 BMW R1200GS (purchased new 10/2015 now has 48k and climbing)

Factory options
-quick shifter (no clutch needed)
-GPS
-electronic adjustable suspension
-engine modes - electronic adjustable
-elec cruise control
-LED headlight
-heated handgrips

Add on's
-Custom desert pin stripping!:laughing3:
- Bumont pannier system with toolbox
-on board tire inflator
-SW crash bars with "A little patina...":blackeye:
-pivot pegs
-MotoArt valve cover protectors with custom rock engravings (saved my bacon countless times):bootyshake:
-BMW headlight guard
-ROX risers
-DIY custom foam seat retaining original seat pan and cover. Keeps "the giblets happy!:blob7:
-Altrider rear rack with water and gas RotoPax (delete rear seat)
-Altrider sidestand ext
-BMW duffel bag
-BMW tank bag
-BarkBuster hand guards (white)
-Grip Puppies!
-Stickers for more HP.:toothy3:

Currently on 5th front (it's time again) and 10th rear (newish) tire.

Bike as been = As far north as Dalton highway Alaska - As far south has Cabo San Lucas - As far east has Detroit(I'm originally from GA. No need to do the east coast again on this bike). Entire Idaho BDR to Calgary

Parks visited - Glacier NP(both sides), Mesa Verde NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone NP,The Pig Trail, Mt. Rushmore/Sturgis, Moab, Victoria Island, Grand Tetons NP, The CA NPs, Columbia river trail,

Attachments

Reactions: MistressOfMayhem

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
The K bike (silver)

2007 BMW K1200R Sport

- Leo Vine full system
- BMW saddle bags
- elec adjustable suspension
- air box mod
- dyno tuned with power commander (160hp at wheel close to 200 at flywheel)
- bar risers

Don't ride her much anymore. Keep it in storage. I refuse to sell it fearing it would be way to hard to find another.

Other pic is another GS oppsie for good measure

Attachments

·
on line
6,543 Posts
AdventureRider81 - seems like you're doing many of the things I have in mind since I bought mine. I've not had it for a year and am racking up decent miles, but not in the 24k/year range that you're up to.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I did an Advanced Rider Training last week. Classroom instruction, parking lot drills on an autocross-type course, and finally getting out on the racetrack.

My 18 year old VFR was the oldest bike there, but I think I did okay. Technique was my focus, but I was doing just as well, if not better than our local "Track Day, Bro!" who was talking himself up the whole day. Not bad for an old heavy bike ridden by an old fart to keep up with (and sometimes be slowed down by) a younger guy on a modern R6.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I did an Advanced Rider Training last week. Classroom instruction, parking lot drills on an autocross-type course, and finally getting out on the racetrack.

My 18 year old VFR was the oldest bike there, but I think I did okay. Technique was my focus, but I was doing just as well, if not better than our local "Track Day, Bro!" who was talking himself up the whole day. Not bad for an old heavy bike ridden by an old fart to keep up with (and sometimes be slowed down by) a younger guy on a modern R6.
Nice!

I did it backwards, a two day track day and then a parking lot training. Wish I could go back and swap the order.

I read the book and then took the Total Control course, I recommend both.

When I did the track days on the FZ1 (the big couch) I was keeping up with the other noobs on the straights but didn't know the technique for hanging off in the corners. The Control Riders were trying to be helpful but telling me to "just hang off" wasn't quite enough info :)

Here's a video of the Control Riders doing their own session at the end of the day Saturday. They should be hitting close to 180 at the end of the straight iirc.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
I have a training/track day on my list of wants. My fiance's done a few and is a better rider than me. I also want to do one of the off-road training for big and heavy adventure bikes, too.

Dammitalltohell, I need to win the lottery.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Track days and parking lot training helped me immensely. I'd been bombing the local back roads for years solo but I learned more in two weekends than I ever would have on my own, and it's tons safer than learning the hard way on the streets.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Stupid forum failed on when I was replying...

Try the second:

When I first learned to ride, it was with the girlfriend (now fiance). Took it slow, got used to things, listened to her input. Then I took the MSF, which I found to be instructive but pretty easy by then. I did learn a few things and had fun, but luckily I had been well-prepared. Past that, it's been me following her on the twisties, which is kind of a monkey see, monkey do thing. I've got some of the theory, but not all of it.

Because of that and how much I enjoy it, I think a track training day would be a great help, plus be lots of fun. I do waffle on what to ride for it, though. This September, I think I'll have a chance to do it with my local BMW dealership, so it'll be more of a relaxed riding day with control riders helping along and I'd be on my bike. However, I could also find one of the local course where I ride their sport bikes and it's an official training - or maybe get an official training on my bike.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
AdventureRider81 - seems like you're doing many of the things I have in mind since I bought mine. I've not had it for a year and am racking up decent miles, but not in the 24k/year range that you're up to.
My mid life crisis :laughing6: I think they call it the long way down bug. LMAO!

It's is also my daily driver. That's kinda like cheating. This kind of millage is somewhat common in SoCal. My buds 2013 Vstrom he bought in 2014 has 140k+ last time I saw it.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Mine is mostly my daily driver, too. Unless it's raining - not that I can't ride in the rain, but more that I don't trust everyone else (plus, I work in an office and don't want to come in wet if I can help it).

Long Way Around bug for me. I've got LWD, but I've not watched it yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts

It's less about the bike and more about the rider. I've seen people on 250s blow by people on 1000s like they are standing still. I've also met women who didn't get into racing until their 50s and they are among the fastest people out there. I don't boast a lot about my own skills because to me, riding is an ever evolving journey so I'm never as fast or as skilled as I want to be but I've held my own on my 04 636 against some folks who are way more boisterous. It's all about having fun. It always makes me happy to hear of people getting out on the track no matter how old they or their bikes are, and no matter how much experience they have. It's really the best place to refine your skills on a road bike. I will never have the money, the talent, or the competitive viciousness to race but there is something unbelievably liberating about getting lost at 100+mph with your knee out in a corner. There's nothing like it... except maybe flying.

Those structured courses are amazing, too. I did California Superbike School out here, and CLASS (Reg Pridmore) and I saw immediate improvements. I always encourage people in that direction when they are on sport bikes and want advice on how to improve their skills.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Seen the post over the Advance Riders course. I did one on post here at Fort Bragg, NC last year. I gave confidence in my ride and had a blast. I’m the motorcycle mentor for my company and looking at getting MSF Instructor qualifies sometime this year.

·
on line
6,543 Posts

Tail of the Dragon

Reactions: AdventureRider81

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Cool, did you hit it on a good day? I really enjoyed that area of NC for riding but the Dragon was full of pirates going painfully slow on their cruisers and cops making sure I didn't pass them.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Yeah - we did it on a Friday that's not associated with a holiday weekend, which seemed to work very well. That allowed us to blast through up until mile 7 (south to north) where we got stuck behind a local in a work truck that would NOT pull over. After that, we stopped at mile 8 and chilled for a few minutes, then blasted the rest of it out.

Personally, I like the Cherahala Skyway better. Swoopy turns that aren't as tight, really letting you stay on the throttle, select your line and lean, the roll on out accelerating.

One ride that was rather fun was the Blue Ridge and then turning off on 215. That's a great state route with no traffic.

141 - 160 of 164 Posts