Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
What kind of hammock did you get. I always use eno double, and use the extensions that you can buy separately. I use the extension when I need to, and paracord when the gap isn't wide enough to need the extensions. A simple figure 8 follow through around the hammock and a clove hitch around a tree does the trick for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
561 Posts
I also use ENO double nest. Some people don't like the slapstraps that ENO makes, but I think they make putting the hammock up pretty darn easy. So regardless of hammock, maybe look into the slapstraps?
What kind of hammock is it?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Yukon Outfitters double wide and single w/ bug net (the ones that were just for sale on Woot). I bought slap straps on eBay last night. I've heard good things about those so I figured I'd give them a try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have an eno doublenest - got a pair of whoopie slings and made a pair of tree straps out of some ratchet straps... whole setup is light - used for backpacking, but could also serve car camping, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have pix, but the 2 person hammock by Grand Trunk is pretty awesome. Strings up in under a minute, is very comfortable and dries quickly if wet. Holds up to 400 pounds as well in case you have company!

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Hammocks are the Cream of sleeping... Will not be a Dirt Sleeper again. A great Benefit is do not have to move rocks or logs.. Just two tree's hang.. add tarp.. Done.

I have the eagle pro Single ( It's okay).. First thing I did, was throw the rope & Straps out. Installed Whoopies & Climbing Strap With Climbing Rated Biners. The Eagle Straps they seem to fix the issue of drift stretch.. But the Biners are still junk. They will fail.
ENO hooked up to Roof Rack & Tree. With kelty tarp. ( Used the full Roof rack, for support. so no stress on rack or Roof)

Pistol holster fits nice on the Ridge line

Made a Double layer 11" hammock. With 12 foot Whoopies, and climbing rated Biners/straps.
Plus, warbonnet Superfly, with doors. Now, its rated for 4 season use.
With a Down underquilt and Therm-a-rest inside layers. Coldest i slept in was 24 degree's and slept really warm with that set up. Using Cold Weather Sleeping bag, as a top Quilt.

My Tarp set up in the woods, for a Sneak & Peek camp

Blends in well.

All Sprayed down with Permethrin For keeping Ticks & Skeeters away.. It's now my GOTO sleeping system.. Tree's or No tree's.. I can hang.

will get some photos up.

High ground camp, Enjoying Hydration device. ;-)

Eastern Orygun camp. Did not take many photos.

When one does not have Tree's.. I use the T-dog stand. for hanging.

yep, I Hang.. & love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have pix, but the 2 person hammock by Grand Trunk is pretty awesome. Strings up in under a minute, is very comfortable and dries quickly if wet. Holds up to 400 pounds as well in case you have company!
I use the Grand Trunk Double as well. I have always used tree to tree. WA, ID and MT have never failed to provide an acceptable spot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I also use a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater with a Eno HouseFly tarp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
HH Explorer Asym Zip

Shout out to http:// hammockforums.net / to elevate your perspective on all things hammock.

Personally I own 5 hammocks, two for lounging around in the backyard, a TEXsport lightweight/nylon for the kid to use camping, thisthis thing that I'm awaiting delivery of. My mainline is a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Asym Zip, with the Hex Tarp, collapsible/adjustable ridgeline, and python straps.

I'm looking forward to figuring out if the X is long enough for this bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28D3HFlSeR8

This is my rig from this May

In June I decided that I could use the 5x7 tarp from wallyworld as a gear hammock, so I tried it out in my backyard, and is now how I set it up.

Detail of the hookup

·
Registered
580 Posts
Check out Sierra Madre Research.
http://www.smrgearme.com/#itemId=52c350b2e4b0dc4fdbc783d6

The owner/creator is a friend, and I promise you you will not find a nicer hammock system. He worked for years prototyping and improving (with input from hikers, climbers, and outdoor enthusiasts) his products before he started production. The company was started to fund water well drilling in remote towns in Central America.

Even if you alread have an Eno, check out his "Nube". It will work with an Eno, and make it usable in all weather conditions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hammocks are the Cream of sleeping... Will not be a Dirt Sleeper again. A great Benefit is do not have to move rocks or logs.. Just two tree's hang.. add tarp.. Done.
Right-o!

Pistol holster fits nice on the Ridge line
nice suspension for the UQ. I'm going to try something similar but with the 5x7 nylon tarp and reflectix for when it gets colder here in FL, instead of storing gear.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I was always afraid of tying the hammock to the xterra rack. not sure if it could take the sideways pull...

·
on line
3,592 Posts
I was always afraid of tying the hammock to the xterra rack. not sure if it could take the sideways pull...
IF yea run your Strap to combine both Rails, and the Cross member for added support should be okay. The shear load, would be even out Vs. Hanging on one Rail alone. Unless you weight 400 pounds, then Might need to resort to a Tri-pod style hanging Or back to the Trees.

Some fancy Shear loads. for yea
Weight 160 LBs
Hang angle 30 Degrees' ( Best Angle For all hammocks)

Shear force if tied up 6.3 feet up. =138.6 LBS
Cord Tension 160 LBS

400 pounds
Shear 346.6 Lbs
Cord Tenstion 400 Lbs

20 Degree hang Angle
Weight- 400 Lbs
Shear force 549.5 LBS
Cord Tension 584.8 Lbs.

Those numbers are pretty accurate. From Hammock Apps.

Xterra should be okay for hanging using both rails With 30 Degree angle

·
on line
3,592 Posts
how do you tie off using both rails? tie it coming off the back?
I run a 15 foot Strap with a loop on one end. I take that and Slip it over both rails, Then Run it once or twice across the cross bars. and one lap over my Roof Rack, to dangle out the back end over the lift Gate. Then I just secure a toggle & add a Whoopie to it.

The pulling is across all the rails and roof rack. to avoid stress on one rail only.

the side hang, I do same thing tie on far rail, while lining up the cross bar as my center point. With 15 foot one can make sure not to pull one bar only.

No issues yet.. But I'm only 160.. Plus or a beer or two for hydration.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I guess my fear is if it did damage something it could get pretty ugly and expensive very quickly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
plan to do the trucks farther apart next time, or on a tree if i'm near one (obviously wasnt here by the ocean). I dont have any fancy shmancy hammock, it's a $5 one from FiveBelow :) and i bought tree straps on amazon.

·
on line
2,165 Posts
Chug, What are you using that looks like a tripod in the picture:

Looks like it is metal and pretty sturdy

1 - 20 of 112 Posts