Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, thats right. I was having issues with the locking rear diff... basically, when I would be driving along in 2WD, the DIFF LOCK light would start flashing like crazy, and then would start staying on longer and longer until it stayed on for good. Then would I would take a sharp turn, the diff lock light would turn off and the "SLIP" and "ABS" lights would come on, disabling my ABS and ABLS. Then it would reset when I shut the truck off, and would happen all over again the next time I drove.

So I took it in and told them what was going on, and they gave me my loaner xterra and have had my truck for almost a week now with no call. So I call them today to see what's up, and they said that they are replacing the whole rear end because of the solenoid for the locker. They said they couldn't replace just the solenoid. They had one of the head techs or some **** from nissan come look at it to determine what caused it to fail so they could correct the problem, but couldn't come up with a reason. So they are replacing the whole rear end, which is a $3,000 part.

I haven't read of others having similar problems, so hopefully it's an isolated problem, but it's sure something for you OR owners to look out for before that warranty is up.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine does that occasionally. Typically during long trips. Then it won't appear again for weeks.

Hmm. But my locker works fine.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
BioMan said:
Somewhere in Ohio I hit a hole on the interstate and my diff lock and VDC lights came on. Flickered for about the next couple hundred miles then we stopped for gas outside of KC. Leaving the parking lot the the diff light went out and but the VDC, ABS and Slip lights were all on. Hit the dealer in Wichita who checked things out and found that the diff lock controller was only putting out 4V when it should have been at 12V. They are overnighting the part (I'll post the part number later when I get it) which is nice since we are headed to ID on Thursday (2 days). More to follow....

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They replaced the diff lock control unit the first time I took it in, but then the problem started again a couple months later, so back in it went. So now this is what they are doing.

·
on line
232 Posts
The rear end had to be replaced on our 2 week old truck too. It was fixed after 3 weeks. At that point, we had it for 5 weeks so it was only working for the first 2 weeks. It's been working fine for the last month... knock on wood.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JAdams said:
That sucks...so how do you like the loaner? JK :blackeye:
I like it... looks just like yours. But it's obviously an auto and not an OR. I do like it though. I said in my intro thread that I might look into the cost of switching to a 6spd OR xterra, since you can't get the crew cab nismo frontier in a 6 speed.

They said that the rear end is in, and that the head tech at the dealership was going to start it tomorrow, but I have no idea how long it will end up taking. Hopefully not too long... i miss my truck.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
The MT is a PITA. I am tired of mine.

·
on line
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kokopop said:
The MT is a PITA. I am tired of mine.
i learned to drive on a stick, and my fist car was a 5-speed. I miss shifting. But it may have been more fun in a sporty car (mitsu eclipse) than it would be in a truck/suv. I think I would like it though. But I would hate to give up my sunroof.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
All my previous MT cars where sports cars.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
IanIanBoBian said:
wanna trade cars? my truck is auto. lol
No thanks. My brother in-law is looking at fronties and wants the MT. However, he cannot find one. I advised against it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts