Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1541 - 1557 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
@SledheadX

Makes sense. Now I better understand your original post. Your cooling fluid IS the blue OEM stuff -- the same stuff I put in when I just recently switched in a new Koyorad A2807 Radiator. Shows up nicely in the reservoir tank.

Did the pale green stuff smell like soap or detergent?

This would have made a great separate thread. Many of us are hyper aware of stuff going on with our vehicles. Example: if a vehicle does not idle steadily I notice -- and it bugs me -- when nobody else would notice.
The drippings didn’t smell like anything. Maybe from dilution cuz everything at the car wash smells like roses or lavender or cherry blossom or lemon oil or strawberry shortcake or... threw me for a loop that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Does anyone know what the part number for the lower condenser mount is? This one shows the picture of the lower - but lists it as an upper. Perhaps there the same? I assume I will be able to change these when I change the rad. I have changed my rad before, but it was so many years ago I can't remember/

·
Registered
985 Posts
Any thoughts on adding a "secret switch" to disable ignition or something important like that? As I put more time and effort into my X, I'd like to make it harder to steal.. especially if we go backpacking for a day or 5. I'm thinking even a single toggle switch somewhere unobtrusive will prove too much work for some ahole. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
Any thoughts on adding a "secret switch" to disable ignition or something important like that? As I put more time and effort into my X, I'd like to make it harder to steal.. especially if we go backpacking for a day or 5. I'm thinking even a single toggle switch somewhere unobtrusive will prove too much work for some ahole. Thoughts?
With so many computer controls and integration with these you risk stranding yourself more than thieves with added disabling switches. Lock your car and take the keys with you is the best thing you can do. If a thief really wants it they are going to get it no matter what you do.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I actually have been thinking about this for all my cars also. I haven't gotten to far along but I was thinking of a simple mechanical switch that either breaks the starter solenoid wire, or the neutral safety switch. Should be simple enough, and obvious if for some reason it defeats you from using the car. If you do something let us know!

·
Registered
985 Posts
If I take a VK56 out of a titan, and stuff it into a lighter vehicle like an X, will I get better MPGs than the titan?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If I take a VK56 out of a titan, and stuff it into a lighter vehicle like an X, will I get better MPGs than the titan?
I wouldn’t consider that a dumb question, and I second the motion. You should have asked, “if I take a Titan VK56 and stuff it into a vehicle like an X, will a bear still sh!t in the woods?” But still a good question tho

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well..... Yes, and here is why. The Titan won't have an engine so it can't move no matter how much gas you put into it. So it will get 0 (zero) MPG. The X will have an engine and thus burn the gas that you put into it and even if it only goes 1 mile and burns 1 gallon of gas that is better than what the Titan can do. ;) 😁

Now on the serious side, the X may start off as a lighter vehicle but what will the weight difference be once the engine from the Titan is installed?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok, been looking at a 1st gen X to get as a graduation gift for my son. For starters, prices are lower, had a ‘01 and loved it, track record in here is worthy. Since living in NY, I’m digging further south for cancer free prospects. During my search, I’m seeing a bunch on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. One in particular on Facebook is a supercharged ‘02 SE for $3900 near Weatherly, Pa. I won’t mention the owners name, but I bring it up because of the supercharger. Is that package something I should avoid for its age and that it’d be driven by my 18 yr old? Anyone here who checked out my ‘12 since I bought it knows what I did to it. No assistance, so I’m comfortable with mechanicals with the exception of a garage lift or engine hoist. Any key aspects I should look at first besides fluids, timing belt, water pump as I’ve read elsewhere so far? Funds aren’t bottomless, so I’m balancing a better X for more $ that’s negotiable for maintenance repairs and TLC. Ooooor, anyone here knows someone in Pa parting with one of these 1st gen X’s that I could be leaned towards before I start my 4-7 hr treks?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ok, been looking at a 1st gen X to get as a graduation gift for my son. For starters, prices are lower, had a ‘01 and loved it, track record in here is worthy. Since living in NY, I’m digging further south for cancer free prospects. During my search, I’m seeing a bunch on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. One in particular on Facebook is a supercharged ‘02 SE for $3900 near Weatherly, Pa. I won’t mention the owners name, but I bring it up because of the supercharger. Is that package something I should avoid for its age and that it’d be driven by my 18 yr old? Anyone here who checked out my ‘12 since I bought it knows what I did to it. No assistance, so I’m comfortable with mechanicals with the exception of a garage lift or engine hoist. Any key aspects I should look at first besides fluids, timing belt, water pump as I’ve read elsewhere so far? Funds aren’t bottomless, so I’m balancing a better X for more $ that’s negotiable for maintenance repairs and TLC. Ooooor, anyone here knows someone in Pa parting with one of these 1st gen X’s that I could be leaned towards before I start my 4-7 hr treks?

I am not sure why you would look at a first gen when you can get a early 2nd gen for a couple thousand more at most. Since you have one already have one you will know what to look for regarding smod and the timing chains - although the VG33 has a timing belt so you might as well just change a timing chain if you need to - at least its one and done. The 2nd gen was a huge leap forward in a lot of ways, and since they shared parts with the fronty until they changed its drivetrain in 2019 - your going to have a lot of years of parts service.

Either way i would go much further south than PA. I see rust free first gen specimens here in the carolina's in your price range that have never seen salt.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am not sure why you would look at a first gen when you can get a early 2nd gen for a couple thousand more at most. Since you have one already have one you will know what to look for regarding smod and the timing chains - although the VG33 has a timing belt so you might as well just change a timing chain if you need to - at least its one and done. The 2nd gen was a huge leap forward in a lot of ways, and since they shared parts with the fronty until they changed its drivetrain in 2019 - your going to have a lot of years of parts service.

Either way i would go much further south than PA. I see rust free first gen specimens here in the carolina's in your price range that have never seen salt.
I figured the 1st gen was gonna save some $ over a 2nd gen where some of that could go into repairs/upgrades/mods or whatever right off the bat. Was trying unto keep it under $5k. Although that didn’t work with my $16k Pro-4X either. That’s why I’m asking the dumb questions. Questioning myself at the same time. As far as Pa, the farther south, the harder for me to travel. I can make a Pa run in a day and not miss a beat. I need to poke and prod to be satisfied. I was lucky with my Pitt X purchase. Family also originated from Allentown area so I’ve seen a lot of Pa vehicles. It’s hit n miss I know. Also heading to Florida in April to visit family. I’ll be looking down there and in Georgia too. Who knows, maybe I won’t be flying back north.

·
Registered
377 Posts
@idn88 ; and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I figured the 1st gen was gonna save some $ over a 2nd gen where some of that could go into repairs/upgrades/mods or whatever right off the bat. Was trying unto keep it under $5k. Although that didn’t work with my $16k Pro-4X either. That’s why I’m asking the dumb questions. Questioning myself at the same time. As far as Pa, the farther south, the harder for me to travel. I can make a Pa run in a day and not miss a beat. I need to poke and prod to be satisfied. I was lucky with my Pitt X purchase. Family also originated from Allentown area so I’ve seen a lot of Pa vehicles. It’s hit n miss I know. Also heading to Florida in April to visit family. I’ll be looking down there and in Georgia too. Who knows, maybe I won’t be flying back north.

Not many of us have owned a first gen. Try clubfrontier.org They have a first gen fronty forum that is pretty active - the mechanical issues should be about the same. Although the supercharged version was rarer in the fronty - only the desert runner version I think.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

if you can find a good deal in fl or ga i'd strongly consider it. remember though, just beucase thats where it isnow, doenst mean i always lived there!

I bought my X in fl, it was sold in ca, lived most of its like in tx before moving to fl wher ei got it.

1541 - 1557 of 1557 Posts