Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1521 - 1540 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
So I was at the junkyard and found a stalk from a 2011 Pathfinder that had both auto headlights and switch for the fog's. Does anyone know if the auto headlights might work? I assume that is a BCM funtion, so I am guessing this stalk will not fit either my 2008 X or 2011 Fronty?

·
Registered
985 Posts
So I was at the junkyard and found a stalk from a 2011 Pathfinder that had both auto headlights and switch for the fog's. Does anyone know if the auto headlights might work? I assume that is a BCM funtion, so I am guessing this stalk will not fit either my 2008 X or 2011 Fronty?
Don’t auto headlights need some sorta optical sensor to figure out when to kick in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
946 Posts
Won’t work.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok. Never expected to say this but my X pissed him/herself. No odor or slick feel so haven’t figured out what it is yet. Been snowing a lot today and the rig has water dripping all over underneath. Not driven in a couple of days. Looks like coming out the weep holes in the muffler. First thought is coolant but that’s the blue Nissan stuff. Any chance it’s just gunk in/on the muffler that’s dissolving with all the salt melt? Maybe in burned oil that’s diluted down with the water? And NO I didn’t taste it to check for oil. I don’t know where that snow came from. May have COVID. any takers?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
maybe an animal crawled under there and peed, now you're holding someone's cat pee haha There's a youtuber, "vice grip garage", he always taste his fluids. Did you taste it?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
912 Posts
Ok. Never expected to say this but my X pissed him/herself. No odor or slick feel so haven’t figured out what it is yet. Been snowing a lot today and the rig has water dripping all over underneath. Not driven in a couple of days. Looks like coming out the weep holes in the muffler. First thought is coolant but that’s the blue Nissan stuff. Any chance it’s just gunk in/on the muffler that’s dissolving with all the salt melt? Maybe in burned oil that’s diluted down with the water? And NO I didn’t taste it to check for oil. I don’t know where that snow came from. May have COVID. any takers?

coolant

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
There is a lot of water vapor in the exhaust and even more condenses in the cold. When you first start your car you will see a lot of water drip out of the weep hole in the muffler. Could just be condensation and crap dripping out of your muffler and would be perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts

Have you checked all the fluids yet to see if anything is down?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Haven’t checked fluids yet. Just saw it shoveling the driveway after work today and the truck sat since Saturday. I had too much to do this evening to get to it in daylight. I’m gonna try tomorrow right after work but figured I’d scratch a few heads in the mean time. If it is truck fluid, it can only be engine oil or coolant right? Nothing else could mix into the combustion chamber that I’m aware of. And no fluid lines run above the muffler that I remember.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Haven’t checked fluids yet. Just saw it shoveling the driveway after work today and the truck sat since Saturday. I had too much to do this evening to get to it in daylight. I’m gonna try tomorrow right after work but figured I’d scratch a few heads in the mean time. If it is truck fluid, it can only be engine oil or coolant right? Nothing else could mix into the combustion chamber that I’m aware of. And no fluid lines run above the muffler that I remember.

Some of the tranny lines run above that but the color off what you found makes me think it isn’t that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Some of the tranny lines run above that but the color off what you found makes me think it isn’t that.

I think I may even just pull a little coolant out of the reservoir and dribble it in the snow just to see what happens

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sure looks like coolant but that is one odd place for coolant to drip. AFAIK, none of the lubes typically used on the X are of that colour.

Careful with the experiments as anti-freeze fluid is highly toxic to domestic pets and children. They likely did not get the memo from Uncle Frank Zappa to not eat the yellow (green) snow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Careful with the experiments as anti-freeze fluid is highly toxic to domestic pets and children. They likely did not get the memo from Uncle Frank Zappa to not eat the yellow (green) snow.
Yeah. I moved the rig last night and wiped it up. I’m still trying to figure out how it was dripping there after sitting for 2 days. And I should have put a bucket under there after I cleaned up last night. (Sh!thead!!)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok everyone. I figured out what that yellow green crap was coming from the muffler. And it wasn’t actually IN the muffler but above it. It was the damned car wash spray they hit the undercarriage with. I had it dripping from my bumper and spare tire today. That was the last place I went to before coming home. Gotta keep the salt belt at bay somehow. Just never noticed it like that when sitting in snow for that long. Also just checked the coolant and it’s still blue. Oil is still brown (no... not black!! I changed it 2700 mi ago). Crisis averted

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
IDN88 said in another thread, "The current sensor on the negative cable feeds back to the BCM (or maybe the ECM, I can't remember?) how much current is in use and modulates the smart charging system. "

Which got me to thinking. IF adding something like a winch or inverter or even a second battery, and not only are you going to the positive post but also running a heavy ground wire maybe that wire needs to not go to the battery post (where it is in front of the sensor) but rather to a connecting point AFTER the sensor? That way any extra load on the battery is truly sensed via the negative cable and sensor.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
946 Posts
@Brunnie , that's the consensus, from what I’ve read in other posts, regarding the system.
Nothing more to offer, as I’m ignorant to the particulars of the design and function above what has been ingested to my headmeats.

My opinion is that it’s useless and should not be in our trucks. If I had bigger nuggets I’d cut it out of the loop. Alas, for some silly reason I’m reluctant to do so......

Reactions: Brunnie

·
Registered
377 Posts
^I still wanna know if you tasted it.:ROFLMAO:
Actually, that sample I had in my hand... I put in a glass brown and overnight it evaporated leaving just yellow crusty film. No chance to take a sip, but could have licked the bowl clean I guess. I guess that’s no different than ingesting disinfectants

·
Registered
501 Posts
@SledheadX

Makes sense. Now I better understand your original post. Your cooling fluid IS the blue OEM stuff -- the same stuff I put in when I just recently switched in a new Koyorad A2807 Radiator. Shows up nicely in the reservoir tank.

Did the pale green stuff smell like soap or detergent?

This would have made a great separate thread. Many of us are hyper aware of stuff going on with our vehicles. Example: if a vehicle does not idle steadily I notice -- and it bugs me -- when nobody else would notice.

In passing: in regards to radiator fluid choice, flushing or radiator replacement, either do it yourself or get the dealership to do it. Independents may have good intentions but are not necessarily informed as to the best matches for our vehicles. That lesson was not too costly. -hehe-

Reactions: SledheadX
1521 - 1540 of 1557 Posts