Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1501 - 1520 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
I have been using the regular SilverStars, not the Ultra in a lot of my vehicles with good results and no shorter life than anything else but haven't tried them in the X yet.
The Philips I have are the 60% pink package.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering a small impact driver. Is 150ft/lb sufficient? I know wheel torque is 110 ft/lb for instance.. up till now i've been using hand tools. It's tedious.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering a small impact driver. Is 150ft/lb sufficient? I know wheel torque is 110 ft/lb for instance.. up till now i've been using hand tools. It's tedious.
Depends on what you are using it for? A 1/4" drive will not break the lug nuts free and you should never be tightening them without a torque wrench. The tightening force might be 110 ft/lbs but the breaking force to free them will be more. I would suggest about 250 ft/lbs breaking force for removing most light duty lug nuts. I can't recommend the Milwaukee High Torque 3/8 impacts enough as I use them for almost everything. Most of the time I think I will need the 1/2' impact and the little 3/8 Milwaukee gets it done instead. Be careful though as they make about 20 3/8 impacts and only a few are high torque and worth buying.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
IN this case bigger is always better, so get the most torque you can afford. Also there are a bunch of youtube videos testing these things, and they almost never pull the torque they say they do.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not sure where you’ll end up with this but I purchased the Kobalt 24V max 1/2” impact driver with their impact driver socket set from Lowe’s and love it. May be over your price tag but just the input that I found it worthy of everything I could throw at it, including overtightened lugs. Used it also for my suspension lift where it would fit. I tried the 1/2” impacts from HF first and they didn’t get the job done.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Not sure where you’ll end up with this but I purchased the Kobalt 24V max 1/2” impact driver with their impact driver socket set from Lowe’s and love it. May be over your price tag but just the input that I found it worthy of everything I could throw at it, including overtightened lugs. Used it also for my suspension lift where it would fit. I tried the 1/2” impacts from HF first and they didn’t get the job done.
We don’t have Kobalt in Canada. I ended up getting a 1/4” dewalt. It’s not enough, couldn’t break the bolts on the hitch. Gonna return it and get the 1/2” inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
We don’t have Kobalt in Canada. I ended up getting a 1/4” dewalt. It’s not enough, couldn’t break the bolts on the hitch. Gonna return it and get the 1/2” inch.

Hate to say I told you so but....

Most 3/8 max out around 250 ft/lbs but some like the Milwaukee M18 Fuel max out at 450 Ft/lbs. and will do pretty much anything.
If you want to go big the 1/2” Milwaukee M18 2767-20 maxes out at 1,400 ft/lbs and is on sale at Home Depot for $349 with battery and charger.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hate to say I told you so but....

Most 3/8 max out around 250 ft/lbs but some like the Milwaukee M18 Fuel max out at 450 Ft/lbs. and will do pretty much anything.
If you want to go big the 1/2” Milwaukee M18 2767-20 maxes out at 1,400 ft/lbs and is on sale at Home Depot for $349 with battery and charger.
What can I say, you were right! I didnt feel like I could justify another $100 for a 1/2" impact.. I'm kinda all in on dewalt tools, how do you feel about them? Dont want to have mulitple battery/charger systems if I can help it.. in the end I just used a ratchet + extension to break the hitch bolt. But I gotta say when the little impact was enough it was effortless.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
886 Posts
What can I say, you were right! I didnt feel like I could justify another $100 for a 1/2" impact.. I'm kinda all in on dewalt tools, how do you feel about them? Dont want to have mulitple battery/charger systems if I can help it.. in the end I just used a ratchet + extension to break the hitch bolt. But I gotta say when the little impact was enough it was effortless.
DeWalt is just as good but like you I invested it the Milwaukee platform instead of DeWalt.

I don’t see any torque rating on the DeWalt website but most 3/8 impacts are pretty good for common automotive stuff now without the weight and expense of 1/2”.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
$349 is crazy. I paid about $200 for my Kobalt 1/2 inch impact and it has a 1400 ft/lb breakaway. I’ve removed every single heavy duty bolt on the truck with no issue. Wheel lugs take about 20 seconds to remove per wheel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
$349 is crazy. I paid about $200 for my Kobalt 1/2 inch impact and it has a 1400 ft/lb breakaway. I’ve removed every single heavy duty bolt on the truck with no issue. Wheel lugs take about 20 seconds to remove per wheel.
I think I paid $180 or so on sale for the same gun, battery, charger and bag as a kit. Awesome kit and I think the dewalt is about the same for performance and price. Add the big impact socket kit with case and it’s still less than the Milwaukee at $350.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not sure if it really needs saying but an impact wrench does not replace a torque wrench or a breaker bar for that matter.

I went with the Makita platform. The 1/2 inch brushless impact wrench works really well.

If I was a contractor, I would likely conform to the popular choice of contractors and trades people here in BC and buy Milwaukee. If inventory management is an issue, Milwaukee is the best.

But from experience building stage sets here in our village (prior to the pandemic), there are lots of great discount brand battery-operated tools that work just fine. The guys I volunteer with would complain loud and long if the tools were substandard. Needless to say, everybody owns a truck.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Not sure if it really needs saying but an impact wrench does not replace a torque wrench or a breaker bar for that matter.

I went with the Makita platform. The 1/2 inch brushless impact wrench works really well.

If I was a contractor, I would likely conform to popular choice of contractors and trades people here in BC and buy Milwaukee. If inventory management is an issue, Milwaukee is the best.

But from experience building stage sets here in our village (prior to the pandemic), there are lots of great discount brand battery-operated tools that work just fine. The guys I volunteer with would complain loud and long if the tools were substandard. Needless to say, everybody owns a truck.

I still carry a breaker bar with me just in case but I've never needed to use it since buying the impact. That said my truck has spent its life in an unsalted road environment so that obviously helps though.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I grew up here in NY. But for me it was marriage. Ex-wife didn’t want to move south.

Ha makes sense. I’m up in Ohio at my girlfriends place and adjusting to these temps. Really glad I didn’t wash the X prior to coming up here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ha makes sense. I’m up in Ohio at my girlfriends place and adjusting to these temps. Really glad I didn’t wash the X prior to coming up here.

So that brings us back to dumb questions. Who’s making the big move? Or did you already?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Has anyone measured the current our rigs pull when running? I am just curios - how overpowered (or not) is the 130A alternator - with fan, without fan on, etc?

1501 - 1520 of 1557 Posts