Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1387 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2015 Xterra and have owned since Tuesday evening.

I absolutely love the Xterra but having come from a base model 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (heavily modified but base model) there are a few features I'm surprised the 2015 Xterra lacks that my 2005 Jeep had. Is it possible I'm overlooking some of these things and these were once options mine didn't come from the factory with?

1) Power Driver's Seat: My 2005 base model Jeep had a 6 way adjustable seat as standard equipment.
2) Courtesy lights / map lights on the roof of the interior for both rear passengers: These were awesome when loading up after work in a dim lit parking garage.
3) Adjustable (dim / bright) dashboard instrument lights: I'm hopeful this is possible in the Xterra. They are awfully bright having driven it since only Tuesday. I'd find it surprising if this is not possible. I hope I'm overlooking this.
4) Below the ignition (where you put the key to start the vehicle) there is what looks like a 3 x 5 inch panel where switches of some sort could reside. What purpose does that panel serve? What OEM option / package goodies would have resided there?
5) There is no easily reachable trip button on the lever stocks of the steering column. I find that rather odd there is only a...what would you call it? "lever" near the gas gauge to cycle thru your various trip calculators. Is it possible turning this lever clockwise / counter clockwise adjusts the instrument lights?
6) There are no lights on the sun visor...not even passenger side. It's not an issue for me but my fiancé who insists on touching up every single time before we get out of the vehicle took note of this. Yes the map lights exist but not on the mirror. Was this an option in 2015?
7) What is the purpose of that small panel near the sun glasses cubby on of the overhead map light console. This small panel looks like it is also removable. Was there OEM equipment offered...possibly a moon roof (switches) or memory garage door buttons?

Some of the above may make it sound like I'm complaining. I'm not. It's just different having driven one vehicle for 12 years and then switching to something new and it lacking a few features I relied on.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,002 (Edited)

I absolutely love the Xterra but having come from a base model 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (heavily modified but base model) there are a few features I'm surprised the 2015 Xterra lacks that my 2005 Jeep had. Is it possible I'm overlooking some of these things and these were once options mine didn't come from the factory with?

1) Power Driver's Seat: My 2005 base model Jeep had a 6 way adjustable seat as standard equipment.
2) Courtesy lights / map lights on the roof of the interior for both rear passengers: These were awesome when loading up after work in a dim lit parking garage.
3) Adjustable (dim / bright) dashboard instrument lights: I'm hopeful this is possible in the Xterra. They are awfully bright having driven it since only Tuesday. I'd find it surprising if this is not possible. I hope I'm overlooking this.
4) Below the ignition (where you put the key to start the vehicle) there is what looks like a 3 x 5 inch panel where switches of some sort could reside. What purpose does that panel serve? What OEM option / package goodies would have resided there?
5) There is no easily reachable trip button on the lever stocks of the steering column. I find that rather odd there is only a...what would you call it? "lever" near the gas gauge to cycle thru your various trip calculators. Is it possible turning this lever clockwise / counter clockwise adjusts the instrument lights?
6) There are no lights on the sun visor...not even passenger side. It's not an issue for me but my fiancé who insists on touching up every single time before we get out of the vehicle took note of this. Yes the map lights exist but not on the mirror. Was this an option in 2015?
7) What is the purpose of that small panel near the sun glasses cubby on of the overhead map light console. This small panel looks like it is also removable. Was there OEM equipment offered...possibly a moon roof (switches) or memory garage door buttons?

Some of the above may make it sound like I'm complaining. I'm not. It's just different having driven one vehicle for 12 years and then switching to something new and it lacking a few features I relied on.
You can dim the dash lights by rotating the trip reset.

The pad below the key is to keep the other keys on the ring from making a racket.

The Xterra was marketed as everything you need and nothing you don't. It was also long in the tooth long before yours came down the assembly line. It is what it is...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You can dim the dash lights by rotating the trip reset.

The pad below the key is to keep the other keys on the ring from making a racket.

The Xterra was marketed as everything you need and nothing you don't. It was also long in the tooth long before yours came down the assembly line. It is what it is...
Well said, exactly what I was thinking. Not a lot of fancy extra stuff in Xterras.

The only thing I would add is @15GreyGoose re question #7... are you talking about the panel with the small hole in it?

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/305-wanted-items/225097-wtb-bluetooth-mic-panel.html

That's the bluetooth mic. AFAIK there were never any additional features utilized there. But, it's a great place to add things like aftermarket switches for lights and other accessories.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I think what your finding is that the xterra was a rugged, no frills kinda only what you need kinda truck, where as the jeep was more of a luxed up version of the same thing, even the base model jeep Grand Cherokee was marketed as more of an upscale vehicle over the basic cherokee.

also depends on the model of X you got, the SE will have much more modern comforts than say a base X model.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

The X was to be a basic, capable, low cost off road or adventure vehicle, which was how it was designed and marketed - for what little marketing was done. The Pathfinder was the next step up if you wanted the fancy stuff. Many interior parts from a <2012 pathfinder can be easily made to fit or in some cases bolt right in to the X, if you want to get creative on the interior appointments.

·
TNX Veteran
3,539 Posts
Haha wow I didn't realize how "lacking" the Xterra was until you put out what I thought was a pretty basic/standard list. That being said, hopefully you'll grow to like it. I enjoy having the "absolute basics" and nothing else.

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Kind of a caveat off of the "lacking" theme of the X. The other day I was at the pick your part with a friend and spied the ONLY X in all of the yards in SoCal. Needless to say it was stripped pretty barren already. I did however manage to get the rearview that has the built in compass/direction indicator and autodimmer (mine is simply a mirror, go figure SE trim).

Anyone every change these out? Is there wiring already in the X for it? I'm about to tear into it, but if anyone has done it before it'd be nice to have some pointers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'm not sure I'd even compare the grand cherokee to the old pathfinder. The JGC is basically a crossover, a unibody with only 8" of ground clearance from the factory.
I had a 2002 GC and it was unibody, but also had solid axle in front and was just as capable, maybe more so, in stock form as my 2008 S model X. It was a great vehicle to drive. Unfortunately it was falling apart around itself by 180K miles. My X, driven and maintained the same way, is at 330K miles and still in much better shape than the GC when I sold it. I do miss the GC v8 however.

Yes, the new GC's are glorified mini vans like everything else for sale these days.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011
Kind of a caveat off of the "lacking" theme of the X. The other day I was at the pick your part with a friend and spied the ONLY X in all of the yards in SoCal. Needless to say it was stripped pretty barren already. I did however manage to get the rearview that has the built in compass/direction indicator and autodimmer (mine is simply a mirror, go figure SE trim).

Anyone every change these out? Is there wiring already in the X for it? I'm about to tear into it, but if anyone has done it before it'd be nice to have some pointers.

I used a fuse tap and ran the wires up the A pillar and on top of the headliner, pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

start here.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/13-interior/40378-oem-rear-view-mirror-temp-compass.html

·
Registered
793 Posts
What is the purpose of that small panel near the sun glasses cubby on of the overhead map light console. This small panel looks like it is also removable.
That's the bluetooth mic. AFAIK there were never any additional features utilized there. But, it's a great place to add things like aftermarket switches for lights and other accessories.
Pops right out and there is a lot of room up there. If you leave the BT mic there, you can cut your OEM cover and add 3, maybe 4 switches. Relocating the BT mic should let you fit up to 6 switches with an insert, possibly 7 with careful cutting. I made a new cover that fits 7 switches and can be 3D printed for a more rigid switch mounting option than cutting 7 holes in the stock one.

I would really recommend relocating the BT mic as that location was an awful choice by Nissan.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
Link doesn't work for me, but I copied and pasted and found it! Thanks! I'll be splicing it into the dome lights, since they have an auto shut off as well. I tore apart the A pillar passenger side and didn't find a single wire.

I did however jerryrig it to a cigarette lighter adapter I have and it indeed does do temp AND direction! As well as autodimming. Neat!

·
Some random dude
351 Posts
Link doesn't work for me, but I copied and pasted and found it! Thanks! I'll be splicing it into the dome lights, since they have an auto shut off as well. I tore apart the A pillar passenger side and didn't find a single wire.

I did however jerryrig it to a cigarette lighter adapter I have and it indeed does do temp AND direction! As well as autodimming. Neat!

Not sure if it needs constant power or not. The one I had in my Altima had to be coordinated for offset from magnetic North based on my longitude, and I had to reset it ever time I pulled battery power. Just a consideration before you wire it into the dome lights that turn themselves off...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 2002 GC and it was unibody, but also had solid axle in front and was just as capable, maybe more so, in stock form as my 2008 S model X. It was a great vehicle to drive. Unfortunately it was falling apart around itself by 180K miles. My X, driven and maintained the same way, is at 330K miles and still in much better shape than the GC when I sold it. I do miss the GC v8 however.

Yes, the new GC's are glorified mini vans like everything else for sale these days.
The wheel base of the 2005 to 2010 JGC was I believe just as short if not shorter than the Xterra with great approach and departure geometry right from the factory. The traction control system was pretty impressive from my experience, too. With some wheel spacers, 275/70/16 M/T's and 2.5 inch lift - even the base model 3.7 Laredo was pretty capable off road.

With all the above I'm still positive the Xterra with the same lift would vastly outperform it. I do think GC's get a rap sheet of being weak or soccer mom haulers though since that's what they were marketed for. Since their price is starting to drop you're starting to see them get heavily modified. I was one of the first doing that back in '07/'08...pretty far ahead of the curve.

Don't get me wrong. The Xterra is a step up; several really. I mean I even have Navigation, bluetooth, xm radio, locking rear diff. and a back up camera...come on now! Much of what it lacks in one area versus my JGC, it outperforms in many others. It's really rather lopsided overall towards the Xterra.

I think the only feature the Xterra lacks that I wish it had was a 6 way adjustable seat. I can overlook everything else. I'm 6'1 and love sitting high up with the seat all the way back with my seat reclined pretty far back when commuting, long legs. I guess I became pretty accustomed to that particular position having been there for 12 years haha.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I think the only feature the Xterra lacks that I wish it had was a 6 way adjustable seat. I can overlook everything else. I'm 6'1 and love sitting high up with the seat all the way back with my seat reclined pretty far back when commuting, long legs. I guess I became pretty accustomed to that particular position having been there for 12 years haha.
Agree with you 100% on that. I wish Nissan had made the driving position more like the Land Rover style with the gauges up high in front of you and the steering wheel further out. It's been 12 years and I still can't get used to it, probably too much part sharing across models by Nissan. The most comfortable position I can find is with the seat down low like a sedan but of course then I can't see out very well so instead I just sit up high and just deal with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If replacing symmetrical parts (meaning mirror part on opposite site - LCA/UCA/etc.) how important is it to use the same aftermarket (OE replacement, not upgrade) brand?

1001 - 1020 of 1387 Posts
About this Discussion
1.4K Replies
150 Participants
MeHere!
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing