Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the dealer has had the X since monday (3 days now!) However I got lucky this time!

So back story here. Bought the X used a year ago, so far have only added an aftermarket alarm/remote start, stereo and HIDs as well as did a complete LED swap with aux LED back lights.

So when the temp drops below 40 and my truck sits. and gets cold it won't start it will just crank and crank and crank till the battery dies. So normally when this happens I have it towed, they show up and try it and it doesn't start and they tow it. Then a few hours later I get a phone call saying hey we got in your truck and it started. There was nothing wrong with it.

Well Monday I shipped it up because it wouldn't start and guess what. They couldn't get it started either! They let it sit in the garage for a little and it fired right up! Then they said the the cam shaft sensor was bad, and the RPM sensor was bad because there was no signal going to the ECU. So they replaced the Cam sensor put it outside and it wouldn't start after sitting in the cold.

They called Nissan Tech and were given a list of part to remove one by one and put in the fridge and put back in, started up every time with no problem. So now they have no idea whats wrong and they don't want to give it back for me to have it towed back in a few days with the same problem.

They claim that its my alarm causing the problem, it has been to the alarm shop and he had it for 2 days. Trusting place has worked on my stuff for YEARS! I have had the same alarm for years as well (obviously new vehicle new alarm) and it has never given me any problems. I doubt that the stereo would be giving me a starting problem as well.

So now since no one at Nissan has any idea what is wrong with my truck.....I was hoping that someone on here would. There are no codes that are thrown at any time, the vehicle with crank and it will crank strong, it also recognizes the key so thats not the problem either.

So now I am at a loss, do I continue to deal with this until the problem is figured out or do I get read of it and get a new X. Its honestly the only SUV that suits my needs and wants. And the only thing that makes me mad about the whole getting a new X is that I literally JUST put new tires on they only have 250 miles on them!!!! I am sure I can work out a deal with the dealer to have the tires swapped out if I chose to do that! I would much rather keep this one I already have so many hours of my own work put into it!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Haven't you posted this before? I feel like explained thoroughly to you about looking at what temperatures were showing in the ECM PIDs and comparing IAT temp and Coolant Temp etc... Pretty sure I was trying to help you and you blew me off and never responded...

edit: maybe that was a different guy... you were this guy:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62115

Get someone with a scan tool that can get access to ecm data and look at the IAT temp and Coolant temp and compare both with the actual temp outside. Let me know what you find.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Happened with my last vehicle, not a nissan, I needed a tune up. Mid day it would fire up just fine but when it was cold it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't you posted this before? I feel like explained thoroughly to you about looking at what temperatures were showing in the ECM PIDs and comparing IAT temp and Coolant Temp etc... Pretty sure I was trying to help you and you blew me off and never responded...

edit: maybe that was a different guy... you were this guy:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62115

Get someone with a scan tool that can get access to ecm data and look at the IAT temp and Coolant temp and compare both with the actual temp outside. Let me know what you find.

Posted via Mobile Device
Surf, that is me wasn't blowing you off, had no issues at all since we last talked I will have them check it I don't know anyone that would have that type of equipment.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
40 F is not cold at all. I have started min at -40 C , not plugged in because I forgot to, and it started, didn't want to but it did.

I was recently looking at getting a car starter and when I was calling around one of the places asked what kind of vehicle I had. They then told me that certain manufacturers like Nissan vehicles are kinda funny when adding aftermarket alarms and starters. They need a extra module to be added to the vehicle to make it work properly.

So there might be some truth and what the dealer told you. I can't see what year you have but I would call the place you had it done and see if they had to add anything extra when they installed it.

But I assume everything was working before and it's was just the low temp.

Also at that temp in the morning you might have condensation in a wire harness. Vehicle is warm all day then it cools down and sweats at night. I know I had 3 mazdas and in the late spring and early fall I would get a idiot light .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've had this happen twice to me. Once on a '97 Civic and again on a '00 4Runner, both with "upgraded" security/auto start systems. My money is on the super expensive to you, super cheap for them to make unit stuffed under your dash. Put a hair dryer to it for two min, verify it is a crap module and be done with it man.

Nobody could ever figure out what exactly was wrong in either of my vehicles but as soon as it warmed up (or was forcibly heated), they worked fine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not sure if this has any play to the problem. When I am in the X and she wants to start its about a 2-3 second crank and a strong start. After starting its an immediate idle to 1500-2000rpm and will sit there for a few minutes.

While driving and sitting at a light the RPMs will sometimes drop down to just above 500 and I literally mean just above and will sound like its running rough (asked about this before was told its normal).

While driving if I let off of the throttle to coast to a stop the RPMs will drop like they should and then will shoot up 1000-1500 RPM and then immediately drop back down.

I don't know whats going on but I am not happy. Truck has been in for 3 days now still no problem. However at least this time it went up there and it wouldn't start for the first 2 days either. Now after them removing parts putting them in the fridge, and testing "8-10" other components it is starting with out a problem.

I dont notice anything out of the usual on the dash, the key light and the security light are both out while attempting to start. I am posting a video the night that it would not start (sunday night).

So fuel pump clicks on I can hear it, key light out immediately, no theft light and strong cranking????? Missing anything???

Surf. I called them to have them check those items as well. I was doing some googling and was reading about a IPDM relay that had a recall and was causing a problem like this as well. Intermittent no start, would crank and crank but wouldn't start. Also seen something about someone that out the ECM Relay with the Fog light relay and swapped the starter relay with the window heater relay and their problem was fixed as well. So maybe I have a bunch of bad relays???

I was also looking at the new wrangler unlimited......

·
Registered
822 Posts
Complete shot in the dark but on my 95 Pathfinder I had starting issues and weird idling in really cold weather. Had it to a couple different places and they found nothing wrong. I dealt with it all winter deciding when it would start and when it wouldn't. The next spring I redid all the grounds(uneducated attempt to remedy the headlights dimming when the subs hit) and in the process all new battery terminals. The next winter it started every single time. No idea if that WAS the fix or just a random stroke of luck but thought I'd toss it out there. Good luck figuring it out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't start looking at Jeeps till the day before the post. I would hate to get ready of my X its set up how I like it and its coming along great! The last thing I want to do is to see it go!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surf to answer your question. He said that all the temps were with in a few degrees with each other. They parked it outside last night as it was 33F through out the night and a bit of snow. Since it was starting all day yesterday they figured they would try my luck. Parked it outside last night, came in this morning and no start. Thought maybe it was something inside the truck getting cold so they took a small space heat ran a cord let it sit in the truck went back out, no start. Unplugged my alarm, no start, plugged it back in no start. Now they are thinking that something inside the fuel pump might be freezing so they are ripping that out, sucks for them I filled it up 2 days before it died. I don't see how something would be freezing since the freezing temp of normal unleaded is way below 30F.

At a loss no ideas....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Complete shot in the dark but on my 95 Pathfinder I had starting issues and weird idling in really cold weather. Had it to a couple different places and they found nothing wrong. I dealt with it all winter deciding when it would start and when it wouldn't. The next spring I redid all the grounds(uneducated attempt to remedy the headlights dimming when the subs hit) and in the process all new battery terminals. The next winter it started every single time. No idea if that WAS the fix or just a random stroke of luck but thought I'd toss it out there. Good luck figuring it out.
This is on the list of "things to do" if all else fails...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am guessing there are no more suggestions?

·
on line
266 Posts
May not be worth much but I've dealt with a problem like this for 2 years on a Subaru SVX. Every time that I would leave the night shift the Subbie would not start, it just cranked. Once it warmed up, there were no problems. From that case I found that there was water in the fuel lines, probably from the heat build up every where when the car was warm. But when the cold struck the lines would freeze, hence no fuel traveling through them. Once the temps got warm, or the car sat in a warm spot and the lines unfroze, everything went back to normal until next time. Essentially, I had no time to repair the problem before the car got wrecked. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts