Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I was cruising through the entire interior forum and noticed that there was only one or two threads about sleeping in your truck. Also the last post was in like, 2012 or something, thanks killswitch for the heads up. I sleep in my truck a ton. (surf trips, sled skiing, 4 wheeling etc). Last winter I spent a day and about 30 bucks and built a jackknife bed for the back of my X. Basically it's a 2 fold, 3 piece bed that fits behind the back seats and flips open to a 7'6" long sleeping platform with gear storage underneath. It leaves most of the cargo area open for gear, and folds in/out in about 30 seconds.
Been taking info and advice off this site for quite a while, just thought i'd post something for everyone to chew on. slept in this in the summer and down to minus 20 in the winter with a window cracked, works just dandy. all the gear you could pile in the back seat fits under the bed when it's folded down, and it's also possible to drive with it folded down 90% if you only have 2 people going on a trip, which is nice.

The bed folded out:

Mandatory picture of truck getting at least one wheel off the ground:

This is where the bed sits when folded. completely unhindered usage of back seats, cargo area, nets and even the compartment under the back when you don't have your sub box sitting on top of it!

Detail of the construction of the frame. basically is two rectangular sections cut to wedge in between the sides of the cargo area. if you cut them so they are about 1/8th inch longer than the area is wide, they wedge really nicely and the whole system won't make a sound

The front of the bed and linen closet:

Spacing for the seats (if you want it to not squeak, just like everything else, make it a tad too long so when the back of the seat is clicked in, it's pushing against the bed frame):

fold your front seats forward (no need to move them on the tracks). also another note, if you have the newer models with the fold flat front seats you could make a full 8 foot bed)

Hinge system for Bi fold halfway unfolded, underside view. basically just 2x4, 3/8 inch plywood and door hinges. the legs unfold and hang so they auto deploy to provide support for your bed.

legs fully extended, bed laying flat:

Cutout detail to fit the roof, so you can unfold the bed:

once again, bed folded and stowed.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep I JUST found that thread. ah well. mine sleeps two comfortably and three in a pinch... add some mosquito nets and stuff like I saw in the other thread and I dont think it can get much better... curtains maybe.. Also would like to add that I have a biolite stove that I use to heat the place. kinda sketch but it works really well once it's hot.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Its cool, but its big, heavy takes up space and restricts being able to sit up and get changed, move around, work several fun sexual positions etc...

The old fashioned Action packer method gives you the same amount of of flat sleeping space, takes up very little space, also acts as storage, is very easily changed to allow all passengers or other cargo arrangements, etc... Not knocking, just putting this method out there in case you missed it, which you might have since you missed the big sleeping in the xterra thread.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one's pretty decent but for me in the winter it meant moving 90% of my gear out side into the snow, and getting my legs all bunged up in my sub box. I used to use it for my old pathfinder, before I had speakers. I should've snapped some photos when my truck was filled up with stuff. that bungie cord thing is cool for curtains!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
That one's pretty decent but for me in the winter it meant moving 90% of my gear out side into the snow, and getting my legs all bunged up in my sub box. I used to use it for my old pathfinder, before I had speakers. I should've snapped some photos when my truck was filled up with stuff. that bungie cord thing is cool for curtains!
I hear ya. Times like those, I use a rack in the back that holds all me gear, still allows me to sleep (feet under the rack) and allows all seats to be used or other cargo arrangements etc... My wife and I used this setup on a two month long 10,000mi on/off road expo trip all the way across Canada, down the east coast and all the way across America and back up to Oregon. It was pretty amazing. There's a link in my signature if you ever get bored.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that looks rad! will think about a rack like that forsure

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting method you have posted. Mine is simply the truck bedz mattress with the seats folded flat. I have a cooler on one side (where I am since I am longer), but thinking about going with the action pack type setup for stability on both sides. But I have gone camping several times this way and for someone with major back issues, it has been nice. But it requires the ability to sit up in the vehicle - thus the method I have.

I do want to get (maybe when this furlough stuff goes away) a hatch tent so that when the entire family goes camping, I am not separated with the main tent. Just opens up other options.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great ideas!!

Surf, do you have a link to those totes you have in between the seats are? They seem to fit perfectly.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in another thread. I wonder if they've been discontinued, they're crazy expensive online. Amazon sells them for $40!!
REI has 'em for $24 if there's one near you.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Great ideas!!

Surf, do you have a link to those totes you have in between the seats are? They seem to fit perfectly.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in another thread. I wonder if they've been discontinued, they're crazy expensive online. Amazon sells them for $40!!
8 gal RubberMaid Action Packers. They are only expensive on Amazon because they are big and shipping cost hurts. They are in most stores for $20-25. I own 5x 8 gals and 1x 24 gal. They are great.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use and recommend the ActionPackers too. You have to carry your gear anyway and these are a perfect fit for a sleeping arrangement.

I don't currently have a rear shelf to put stuff on to clear the sleeping area and I don't like having to shift things either outside or piled into the front seats. I like the Garvin/Mountaineer rack like Surf's but I needed something easily removable and stowable so I've ordered a custom Raingler net to attach to the C & D pillars to use as a soft shelf.

Instead of curtains, I went out to a plastics shop (TAP Plastics) and got some dark cling vinyl and cut to the shape of the windows.

I also wired my power windows to work without the key having to be in the ignition. It's really nice not having to climb up to the front seat to put the key in just to crack or close a window.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I also wired my power windows to work without the key having to be in the ignition. It's really nice not having to climb up to the front seat to put the key in just to crack or close a window.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves! How did you wire them to do that?

Also, not sure if I missed this..But with the action packer method. Are you removing the bottom of the rear seats and just leaving them out of the X while on the trip?

I'm going to be doing yet another road trip in a few weeks and thinking of sleeping in the X. The only problem is, I'm going to be stopping at some point to visit friends and will probably have passengers that will need to sit in the back at that time.

I wonder where I could stash the bottom seat cushions..

·
on line
845 Posts
I use the Action Packers. Sleeping bag/air mattress goes in the Action Packer until needed.

I also have a DIY cargo rack in the back that lets me put my feet under it as Surf-n-Snow describes. I can sit up, etc. Shoes, clothes go on the rack for easy access. Easy to get into/out of the sleeping bag by just using the rear door.

Works for me.

Toy Man

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That's a great setup, but I'm with Surf and Snow. Last spring I built a similar rack for the cargo area and put 2" foam down and used the action packer method.
It mounts to where the rear seat clicks in in front and has legs in the recess behind the wheels for the rear so there is no restriction in sleeping width. Works amazing.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54386

Gear on top, sleeping stuff on bottom. It looks a little restricting but that's because the 2" foam and feather topper which are compressed when you lay on it. There was plenty of leg room.

Updated it with tie downs, expanded metal and bedliner. Also you can see where it's bolted into the rails here with flat stock extending to the legs.

Used it driving to NY and back from Alaska and will be doing it again next month.

As for the seat cushions we removed them and put them in the front seats. It was a pain when it was cold and snowing because we couldn't just crawl back there but leaving them in Alaska for the summer wasn't an option. Even with the seats pushed all the way forward and the back vertically you can still get both seat cushions in the passenger seat carefully. We also put bungees up to hang a curtain separating the front seats from the back and cover the side and rear windows and used magnetic window screens when it was hot. My X came with crank windows and I only converted the front to power so no problems rolling them up or down at night :)

Definite pros and cons of both setups tho, just showing another setup :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's one of my biggest pet peeves! How did you wire them to do that?
I ran a 20A fused line from my Blue Sea fuse box to an OTRATTW switch and then on to BCM pin 68 on harness M20. The switch is only there to disable the functionality if I want/need to. The 20A fuse is good for rolling down 2 windows simultaneously.

@NUTSgoWEEE - I like your rack solution and how it doesn't impede floor space. Nice work!

Here's another clever way of sleeping in the X but without having to use the ActionPackers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So I thought about making a rack like these. I have zero welding ability but a creative mind. I decided to make it out of threaded galvanized steel. Once I drew it up, I priced out the measurements based on Home Depots prices. The total cost of materials was $192.04 + tax. Needless to say I'm considering other options. I'm now looking at EMT conduit for the materials ($1.99 for 10 feet? YES!) and possibly CPVC for the joints. I don't plan on putting anything too heavy in it and I'm reluctant to use the CPVC joints but I'm pretty sure they will be plenty strong enough for this build. Ill let you all know Monday if it worked or now. :-|

·
Registered
107 Posts
so i thought about making a rack like these. I have zero welding ability but a creative mind. I decided to make it out of threaded galvanized steel. Once i drew it up, i priced out the measurements based on home depots prices. The total cost of materials was $192.04 + tax. Needless to say i'm considering other options. I'm now looking at emt conduit for the materials ($1.99 for 10 feet? Yes!) and possibly cpvc for the joints. I don't plan on putting anything too heavy in it and i'm reluctant to use the cpvc joints but i'm pretty sure they will be plenty strong enough for this build. Ill let you all know monday if it worked or now. :-|

well?!?!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts