Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 752 Posts

·
on line
14,613 Posts

I have been researching the trip and the mileage to the town of Deadhorse AK via the Dalton highway.

Connects: Elliott Hwy to Deadhorse, AK
Route#: Alaska Route 11
Length: 415 miles
Road Surface: 25% Paved, 75% Gravel
Season: Open all year
Highest Pass: Atigun Pass, elev. 4,800 feet

MILE 0 Junction with Elliott Highway .
MILE 56 Yukon River Camp; food, gas, lodging. BLM Visitor Contact Station and Yukon River viewpoint.
MILE 60.3 Hot Spot Café and Arctic Circle Gifts (email); food, lodging, gift shop. Mile 60 BLM campground and dump station.
MILE 98.1 Finger Mountain BLM Wayside; day-use only rest area with walking path to tors.
MILE 115.5 Arctic Circle BLM Wayside; picnicking, Arctic Circle monument, camping.
MILE 135.7 F 219.7 D 279.3 Prospect Camp, turnout with informal camping.
MILE 150.2 Grayling Lake Wayside; day-use only rest area.
MILE 174.8 COLDFOOT (pop. 12); gas, diesel, food, lodging at Coldfoot Camp. Arctic Inter-agency Visitor Center.
MILE 175 Coldfoot Airport. Alaska State Troopers and Dept. of Transportation to the west.
MILE 179.7 Marion Creek BLM Campground.
MILE 188.6 Turnoff for WISEMAN (pop. 16); Wiseman Historical Museum. Lodging at Arctic Getaway Cabin & Breakfast, Boreal Lodging (Boreal Coffee & Gifts) and Wiseman Gold Rush Camp B&B.
MILE 244.7 Atigun Pass, elev. 4,800 feet, in the Brooks Range, highest highway pass in Alaska.
MILE 274.7 Galbraith Camp (no services); undeveloped public campground with outhouse.
MILE 354.6 Last Chance Wayside; day-use only rest area.
MILE 412.8 Deadhorse Camp; lodging, restaurant, gas, tire repair. Arctic Ocean tours (24-hour advance reservation and ID required).
MILE 414 End of Dalton Highway at DEADHORSE/PRUDHOE BAY; food, gas, lodging. Deadhorse Camp offers lodging, restaurant and Arctic Ocean tours.

it is 3500 miles one way from San Jose CA to Deadhorse.

here are some of the resources I have found.
The milepost magazine Dalton Highway - The MILEPOST
The magazine comes out yearly and list all mile post along the Alaskan highway.
I bought an older copy from eBay just for planning/dreaming purposes.

Great PDF's of the Dalton Highway can be found here.

It breaks the map onto two sections that are large.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ak/fdo/maps_and_documents.Par.65162.File.dat/Daltonmaps.pdf

Here is a smaller map of the complete Dalton Highway.

Good driving tips for driving a rock and gravel Dalton Highway BLM Alaska: Dalton Highway - Tips for hunters

What is the best time to drive the Dalton Highway?

June:
a lot of mosquitoes, muddy and slick sections due to late breakup make it a little more challenging in May and June; long daylight is a plus already early in the season.

July: the road is drier, long daylight hours make driving easy; there are less mosquitoes by the end of July

August: less mosquitoes, it can be dry or rainy (August generally has more rainy days than July); fog in the early morning hours around Atigun Pass can be very thick be the end of August. Always check the road conditions before you drive.

September: conditions are usually pretty good until mid of September, although snow storms are possible, especially around Atigun Pass. Almost no mosquitoes anymore but it gets dark at night

October - April:
winter conditions

2017 Calendar

23 days total
15 business days
mosquito's are on the wain.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Current List.
No code has to be inserted here.

This is a proposed route.
I am still working on daily destinations but generally I want to do between 300-350 miles per day.
The proposed route has a length of 4516 miles total(excluding your access mileage to start and finish points).
4516 miles / 15 days = 301 ish...../ per day.....

MEETING PLACE: Dawson Creek, British Columbia. Canada
NorthernDestination: Deadhorse Alaska USA
Southern Destination: Anchorage Alaska USA
Finish point: Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Dawson Creek starts the Alaskan highway and offers highway access from mid to south central United States of America.
Prince George as a finish point offers some new vistas while still offering access to the mid to south central routes that accessed Dawson creek, namely CA16 access to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Daily destinations in rough form look like this.
First table is four days to get to Dawson Creek From my locati of San Jose California.
Your mileage may vary
:)

Second table is the trip itself.

Last four days is get back home time, for me this is to San Jose California.
Your mileage may vary

another good read..
The Alaska Canada Highway | Guide | Road Trip Planner | AlCan | Photos

Alaska's Dalton Highway Road Trip | Fairbanks | Deadhorse | Driving

2017 Calendar

23 days total
15 business days

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Awesome, I want to do this as well ... good info/background here, nice work Chris. Thanks for compiling it!

Also worth considering (at least for one leg, either up or back) is a ferry ride up the BC coast ... kinda spendy, but maybe not when you add up the cost of gas, and certainly cheaper than the cost of an equivalent cruise trip.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

This is a proposed route.
I am still working on daily destinations but generally I want to do between 300-350 miles per day.
The proposed route has a length of 4516 miles total(excluding your access mileage to start and finish points).
4516 miles / 15 days = 301 ish...../ per day.....

MEETING PLACE: Dawson Creek, British Columbia. Canada
NorthernDestination: Deadhorse Alaska USA
Southern Destination: Anchorage Alaska USA
Finish point: Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Dawson Creek starts the Alaskan highway and offers highway access from mid to south central United States of America.
Prince George as a finish point offers some new vistas while still offering access to the mid to south central routes that accessed Dawson creek, namely CA16 access to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Daily destinations in rough form look like this.
First table is four days to get to Dawson Creek From my locati of San Jose California.
Your mileage may vary

Second table is the trip itself.

Last four days is get back home time, for me this is to San Jose California.
Your mileage may vary

I am also contemplating shipping rifles/guns to Tok AK for the trip up and shipping them home from Anchorage.

2017 Calendar

23 days total
15 business days

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Great list of resources. This has been on my bucket list for quite a while. Someday, when I either win the lottery or I find a Sugar Daddy, I will do this.

Till then, I will live vicariously through you. :)

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great list of resources. This has been on my bucket list for quite a while. Someday, when I either win the lottery or I find a Sugar Daddy, I will do this.

Till then, I will live vicariously through you. :)
that should be exciting!!!

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
I had my .38 and my 10/22 the same day.

Dont know the wait if you were looking for an Uzi or Rocket Launcher. Id say at least 2 days for those. :)

I drove from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle in July one year. Sunlight the whole way but I will warn you, there is no such thing as "less mosquitos" in Alaska.

·
on line
4,593 Posts

You're gonna do what?

·
Registered
317 Posts
if there isn't a wait, i'd be tempted to buy up there and then either resell at the end or only ship one way. there's not a real need for big-ass grizzly guns down here in Cali. it's just more fun:)

Batman should carry a S&W 500.

-SM-

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Buddy of mine has a Marlin 45-70.
Fantastic handling, quick to point, fun fun fun.

But stay away from the Buffalo Bore 405s, they'll rattle your teeth.

Now, this is a 45-70:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Hardly ... perhaps unweildy for use as a "truck gun", or impractical if there's risk of complication from shipping/border crossing (that's a pretty spendy pea-shooter, if I'm not mistaken ... quite a bit more so than the lever gun, is what I'm assuming).

Would certainly have the distance advantage ... no doubt.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was just up there in Sept. My brother lives just outside of Fairbanks. We drove up to the Arctic Circle in his Rav 4. It was hardly an adventure that perfect blue sky day :)

The road can be rough, but it's not that bad. Of course in the dead of winter it would be a challenge.

We didn't see one damn animal the entire day except for a dead porcupine. I was going to bring my gun but my brother told me not to bother. He's lived there for 15 years and hunts every year.

Don't forget to stop at the Yukon River visitor center and get your certificate and fill up on expensive ass gas :laughing3:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I think I can laugh about it now, but I did this trip back in 98. I drove a 89 Firebird with around 255k miles on it. The firebird came back with 268k. I was incredibly lucky, and probably incredibly stupid. I drove from Phoenix, AZ to Lincoln, NE to pick up my sister. We then drove 3 straight days to Fairbanks. We did do a couple of detours along the way. (Like driving to NorthWest Territory.) From Fairbanks we drove to Deadhorse. We then drove to Anchorage and Portage Glacier. We stayed a couple of days then headed to Hungington Beach, California to visit family. If I remember right my sister flew out of HB or Phoenix, I cant remember.
We did our trip early in the season. (May) We still saw some wildlife along our trip, including 2 different bears.

This was an awesome trip. Good luck making this happen.

Im having some issues with my internet, I cant tell if these links are working.
I uploaded a few pics from the trip. Sorry for the quality, the pics are from a disposable camera.
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/FD_Addicted/slideshow/35 Alaska
Here are a couple quick pics.
Crossing back from the NW Territory, Canada.

This pic was taken at 2am. It never got dark. so we made good time driving.

Alaska Pipe line, with the Brooks Range in the background.

Deadhorse!!!

My sister and I standing on the Arctic Ocean.(1998)

16 Years later.(2014).... Mt Elbert, CO

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
I wont disagree with you regarding stupidity or luck in trying to drive to the furthest Northern point in the US with a car on its last legs of mobility.

with age comes wisdom (hopefully :) )

·
Registered
240 Posts
I priced a couple different ferry companies from WA to AK and they all come in around $2,000 on the low end. This price includes one car and a cabin with facilities on the vessel for the week long float (one way). I'd budget 5k for transportation cost alone if you plan to go the ferry route and fuel up to and from the northern most tip of the US.

7000 miles round trip from SOCAL
250 miles a tank (35s)
$60/tank (average)
30 total fill ups (rounded up from 28)
$1800 fuel costs

The above fuel costs are complete estimates used to compare the ferry expenses.

·
on line
7,141 Posts
Nice math, I would round up the fuel cost to 2K one way.
And call it even.
I'll do the trip with ya Batman. We can hit all the hole in the wall places along the way.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll do the trip with ya Batman. We can hit all the hole in the wall places along the way.
how does summer of 2017 sound Bill?
I want to do this in three weeks.
I could meet you in Vancouver Canada.
you can show me all the Trucker hole in the wall places
and
I can show you all the Sailor hole in the wall places :)

1 - 20 of 752 Posts