Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

481 - 500 of 521 Posts

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
HAHA whoops! Sorry Old Navy... nice to see this thread still going strong.

Might as well give you some more work :'D

223,000 currently broke down lol
Update for mine. Just Hit 177777. Had to replace the catalytic converters at 150000-ish
Update for mine. Up to 268,000 on a manual. Getting it ready to go on a 700 mile trek as I move South.
I'm at 160k.
No changes.
Have UpDated / Added to Thread Mileage Lists! ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
216K 2007 SE? 6MT

Just completed the ALCAN highway as part of a nearly 7000 mile between jobs road trip!!!!!!! Let me first say that this X sees more abuse than average for sure. Had water coming in the doors in the Florida swamp then turned around and drove to Alaska without a proper wash. This thing has been coast to coast multiple times and actually driven in both oceans as well as the gulf of mexico!

So getting down to business, here's the damage. Two big items, clutch and timing chain at around 206K. Could have been done sooner. Two failed coils. One primary cat as a consequence of the coil failure. One junkyard leaf spring (air bags do all the work so I didnt bother with new). One blower motor and resistor. One window motor. Master window switch. Struts, brakes, tires and other normal stuff as you would expect.

I do burn a little oil as a result of letting my bad CAT go too long... I can honestly say I have put this rig through hell and I am very thankful for what I got in return. If your reading this thread debating how long to run your X, my advice is forever. Keeping the car you got is better for the environment than buying a new hybrid!!

·
on line
281 Posts
216K 2007 SE? 6MT

Just completed the ALCAN highway as part of a nearly 7000 mile between jobs road trip!!!!!!! Let me first say that this X sees more abuse than average for sure. Had water coming in the doors in the Florida swamp then turned around and drove to Alaska without a proper wash. This thing has been coast to coast multiple times and actually driven in both oceans as well as the gulf of mexico!

So getting down to business, here's the damage. Two big items, clutch and timing chain at around 206K. Could have been done sooner. Two failed coils. One primary cat as a consequence of the coil failure. One junkyard leaf spring (air bags do all the work so I didnt bother with new). One blower motor and resistor. One window motor. Master window switch. Struts, brakes, tires and other normal stuff as you would expect.

I do burn a little oil as a result of letting my bad CAT go too long... I can honestly say I have put this rig through hell and I am very thankful for what I got in return. If your reading this thread debating how long to run your X, my advice is forever. Keeping the car you got is better for the environment than buying a new hybrid!!

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
216K 2007 SE? 6MT

So getting down to business, here's the damage. Two big items, clutch and timing chain at around 206K. Could have been done sooner. Two failed coils. One primary cat as a consequence of the coil failure. One junkyard leaf spring (air bags do all the work so I didn't bother with new). One blower motor and resistor. One window motor. Master window switch. Struts, brakes, tires and other normal stuff as you would expect.

Whoa! Lot's of Xterra's showing just how reliable this vehicle this is. Congrats to all over 200,000 miles. Stay on it and it will last. Still no leaks. No burning oil on original engine. 376,xxx miles.
Have UpDated / Added to Thread Mileage Lists! (y)

·
on line
188 Posts
2009 Off Road 6MT - 204K, just put on new BFG KO2s today. Only items throughout the ownership from Day 1 were a replacement clutch at 80K, new Bilsteins twice, cooling system, driver side window motor, and rear leaf springs along with normal wear & tear items. Going to have to do another 02 sensor. but other than that it has been such a reliable ride that it has become a game of how long I can keep this truck running.

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #488 (Edited)
2009 Off Road 6MT - 204K, just put on new BFG KO2s today. Only items throughout the ownership from Day 1 were a replacement clutch at 80K, new Bilsteins twice, cooling system, driver side window motor, and rear leaf springs along with normal wear & tear items. Going to have to do another 02 sensor. but other than that it has been such a reliable ride that it has become a game of how long I can keep this truck running.
... Not even worth mentioning with these Titans of the road.
Have UpDated / Added to Thread Mileage Lists! - (y)

·
Registered
704 Posts
145,000 no special break downs.. Drivers side window a bit slow to come up when car is wet.Nothing actionable yet. Burns not a drop of oil.
Car gets flogged at 150-160 km/h (90-100 mph) for nearly a full tank's worth about once a month (Stuttgart to Berlin and Back, 3/4s of the route have no speed limit.)
Suspension is really to soft for this level of driving so I take great care in curves and slow down to 120 km/h (70 mph) in the sweepers before i reaccelerate to 100 mph for the long (near) straights.
This powertrain is hard as nails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is another one of my inherited projects, because Polar Bear jumped ship and left it hanging. I've been swamped with the photobucket sh!t and running the site other general duties, (ie TOTY/TOTM, new members, etc...), that I haven't even got near this one... :D

I'm curious to see who on here is still going strong despite a lot of miles on your rig.

Mileage:

Year:

Trim:

Transmission:

And if you have nothing to do, regular maintenance info:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mileage | Year | Trim | Trans | Comments | Username
376,428 | 2005 | SE | 5AT | New Radiator after original failure back in 09. Poor Man's Tranny flush every 15,000 miles. Differential fluid changes every two years. Both Universal Joints R & R. Most reliable vehicle I have every owned! Oh yeah the roar in the Rear End has been there for over 250,000 miles. Just keep that Diff fluid R & R - still no leaks! Engine never burns a drop of oil. Tranny and engine have never been unbolted from vehicle. Timing Chain and Guides all changed at 300,000 miles, new Water Pump and converted from mechanical to Electric Cooling Fans. This baby is reliable - Happy Motoring ! No leaks. Engine never burns a drop of oil. New radiator back in 09. Tranny and engine have never been unbolted from vehicle. Poor man's flush every 15,000 miles. Timing chain and guides all changed at 300,000 miles, new water pump and converted from mechanical to electric cooling fans. This baby is reliable! Updated: (11/01/16) Just went over 350,000 miles on her today. That whine in the rear end has been there over 200,000 miles now. I just change out that diff fluid with Royal Purple every couple of years. Still no leaks! Updated: (11/30/19) Whoa! Lot's of Xterra's showing just how reliable this vehicle this is. Congrats to all over 200,000 miles. Stay on it and it will last. Still no leaks. No burning oil on original engine. 376,xxx miles. | Texterra

350,001 | 2008 | S | 5AT | Alternator replaced, pre-emptive replaced the Radiator with aftermarket. Replaced Heater Core at 210,000 - just replaced all the Timing Chains and Water Pump (they were just starting to whine, on removal the Guides had worn and they were just starting to touch the Tensioners.) Other than that just maintenance items - Spark Plugs, Filters, Shocks, Coil Overs, and fluids. Still going strong. Updated: (04/25/18) - My 340,000 well maintained VQ neither burns or leaks oil. I put 5.5 quarts in at every change (yes, I know that's 0.1 quart much) and leave it to the next oil change. In the Mantra of Everything you need and nothing you don't - If you maintain your VQ properly you can throw your dipstick away and plug the hole. Good on Nissan for not wasting any money designing an unneeded dipstick! Updated: (08/01/19) - Only additional maintenance since last update is I did the CAT's at about 320,000. That was the second one for drivers, first for passenger. | idn88

311,306 | 2005 |S | 5AT | I drive about 1000km a week for work. Haven't had to do a lot of stuff to her just the rad, control arms, fuel sending unit, cats, and just routine things like brakes, tires, ball joints, bearings, sway bar links, that's about it. Thinking I need to do the timing chain and rear bearing soon. I'm a sales rep so I drive a lot for work. Thinking I should be up over a half million Km (310 Miles) by the end of summer. Updated: (12/15/15) | Fog Ducker

306,333 | 2012 | S | 6MT | Replaced Leaf Springs, Front Struts, Spark Plugs, Radiator, Fan Clutch, Oil Cooler Gasket, Alternator, Brakes Rotors & Pads all the way around - twice, Rear Axle Shafts Assemblies - twice, Fluids, (Transmission, Coolant, Brake fluid, Synthetic oil changes), Drive Belts, Throttle Body, Sway Bar End Links Front-n-Rear, Rear Shocks, Air Filters, Clutch and Flywheel at 299,000 miles, Transmission and Engine Mounts. All parts cost has been about $6000 dollars and that's all that I can remember that I did as far as repairs go, but the Clutch. jiffy Lube did all the Oil Changes until I took over the Xterra | John Coppola

300,000 | 2005 | SE | 5AT | The X runs as strong as ever, and while I hate to jinx myself, few things have been done to it except for the transmission rebuild several years back (due to the design flaw / radiator fluid getting into the trans). Two days ago I replaced the hatch door struts, I'm on my second battery, I've had the brakes done once, on the 4th set of tires and no other work that I recall except routine maintenance. For all of the vehicles I've owned, the X surpasses them all for quality and durability. I've taken my X through some really tough terrain en route to hiking destinations, and without any mods to the suspension it's a testament to the original design. I am almost embarrassed to say that the plugs have been changed once, probably around 125k miles or so. Updated: (01/17/18) Since I retired in 2013 and having another vehicle, the miles on the X have slowed down considerably. Late last year it barely passed smog as the original cats are throwing codes and illuminating the check engine light. The cats cost way more than I would pay for here in California, so we'll see how it goes for the next year or two. The X has been the best auto I have ever owned. Most comfortable (for an SUV) and functional rig around, fitting my usage and lifestyle perfectly. Kind of kicking myself for not buying another instead of the other vehicle I have. Still running strong, no other issues to report since my last check in. Updated: (09/07/18) finally put over 300,000 on the odometer the other day. Almost didn't make it with a blown heater hose issue that I had come to believe was a blown head gasket after my initial repair (around 299,800 miles). Thankfully it wasn't a head gasket, just an air pocket in the coolant causing problems. | ShawnInPaso

287,000 | 2007 | S | 5AT | replaced transmission, rear axle, radiator, (thank you xterra designer for that screw up), O2 sensors. Just had heater hose break off so that is being replaced. Seems I'm always replacing pads and rotors. Blower, window resistors. | Me1234

268,000 | 2007 | S | 6MT | My Xterra is now at 209,500 and still on that original clutch. Getting ready to do the timing chain (long past due) and put on some new tires. Also have a burned out window motor to replace. Along the way have replaced the radiator, front wheel bearings, 3 sets of tires, plugs, shocks and springs. Updated: (10/24/19) Getting it ready to go on a 700 mile trek as I move South. | black north ny

254,000 | 2006 | S | 5AT | Thanks! Only major repair was replacing the cat. Everything else was preventative or regular wear and tear.I hope to get another year out of the engine and then drop a new one in to stay ahead of the game. Updated: (08/19/16) Still going strong and only had to replace the Catalytic Converter to this point. Its been to 20 States so far. Hoping to add a bunch more in the next few years. | Azar

242,000 | 2006 | SE | 5AT | Original Owner - Front Wheel Hubs, Front Rotors 3x, Fuel Sender Unit, Cats, Rad, Timing Chains and Tensioners, Heater Core Supply Line, Water-pump, Mobil 1 from day 1. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!! I have had is so many places that other 2wd SUVs (and some 4wds) just didn't have the guts to get to. I drive ~ 100+ miles a day for work and often take long road trips camping and exploring. I have done most of the mechanical myself including the work on the front end of the engine. Runs like new. | AzK9PAL

240,000 | 2007 | OR | 6MT | SOLD XTERRA: Radiator replaced. Passenger Hub replaced. Synthetic fluids since day one. Still runs like it's new. Updated: (09/20/16) My X was at 240k when I Sold it. | alkeli

240,000 | 2006| OR | 6MT | Still running strong. Original owner. No major issues other than regular maintenance. Replaced one set of Cats at 95k and the other set at 115k. Did the Timing Chain and Guides at 120k. Need to replace my Radiator soon. Updated: (06/05/15) | Vorian

236,447 | 2006 | OR | 5AT | Runs like a champ but tranny is getting iffy. | timmytoast

227,000 | 2005 | S | 5AT | Regular maint 5x's poor mans flush, radiator replaced at 100k, chain guide at 76k. Updated: (08/01/14) | xterramex

223,000 | 2005 | SE |5AT|Bought June 2012 w/ 40K miles. Regular maintenance since then -Oil (185,000), spark plugs (2013), K&N air filter (2014- Cleaned @ 185,000), Transfer/Differential drain & fill (140,000), Rear diff (185,000), Transmission drain & fill (185,000), Cabin air filter (171,000). New radiator and tranny (Aug 2012). Replaced Coolant temp. switch and thermostat. U-joints replaced (144,000) New battery at (159,225),new brakes and and rotors (161,000), new Evap Canister valve and FSU (174,000), Evap canister (176,000) and regular tire rotation every 3K miles. Updated: (10/02/19) Currently broke down - lol | Polar Bear

223,000 | 2006 | OR | 5AT | Bought in 2010 w/179k miles. U-joints around 150k miles. Fixed rear driver's side door handle not working at about 175k miles. A/C high pressure switch around 195k miles.Swapped out factory suspension for a NissTec complete OME kit around 210k miles Replace rear axle bearings/seals around 215k miles. Previous owner did heavy off roading and stopped up the rear diff breather. | mxblitz

222,300 | 2005 | SE | ? | 3 CATS Replaced, Fuel Sending Unit Replaced, and regular maintenance and tune ups. No Timing Chain job done at all. No timing chain whine yet. | Samuel Yi

222,000 | ? | ? | ? | He's got most people on this site beat. | T-REXterra

221,015 | 2006 | SE | 5AT | Bought the 2wd in January at 216k and have driven about 65 miles a day on average. Changed Oil shortly after getting it and a U-joint. Runs and drives great. | Aaron

219,300 | 2006 | S | ? | I replaced: Radiator & Serpentine Belt at 216,000 miles. The Radiator failed during a commute to work, just began pouring water from around the top seem where the plastic meets the metal. Replaced with a Carquest Radiator. Replaced Serpentine belt while I was there. Rear U-Joint at 217,000 miles. Had a little slack in it and was causing some vibration. Last one only lasted about 45,000 miles. Front Brakes and Rotors at 217,500 miles. Warped Rotors and Worn Pads. Changed Rear Diff Fluid at 217,900 miles. Front U-Joints at 218,000 miles. Still running great, leaks some oil around the valve covers that I plan on addressing before winter. Gearing up for a Timing Chain replacement as well, because it's never been done to my knowledge.

219,000 | 2007 | OR | 6MT | Last thing that failed on me is the power steering rack bushings, so I replaced the entire rack. I've also had to replace the driveshaft (at just under 200k miles), front wheel bearings (much earlier, but since I went with Timkens, no issues), and I've replaced the entire suspension several times (mostly to get upgraded capacity). And the fan resistor. | ronaprhys

217,916 | 2010 | OR | 5AT | SOLD XTERRA: And if you have nothing to do, regular maintenance info: I hit all of the regularly scheduled maintenance marks. I replaced my hoses around 160,000 miles after a pinhole leak appeared. I also had to replace my rear axle bearings after a rear axle seal failed around 180,000 miles. When I was originally looking at the X, I was also looking at a Ridgeline and a Dodge Ram. What put the X over the top for me was two friends who each had Nissan Pathfinders with over 250,000 miles. They said they stuck with regular maintenance, and their Nissan's ran forever. As I close in on 200K, I know I made the right choice. I have owned a Jeep CJ-7, two Ford Broncos, a Jeep Cherokee Sport..... and a Saturn.... and this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Updated: (11/07/17) U-joints, both cats, and hoses. Did the radiator bypass, and had a rear seal go bad. Never left me on the side of the road...not once. | chaunce99

217,000 | 2005 | OR | 6MT | Purchased new. Fuel gauge, universal joint, rear shocks, radiator replaced after breaking. Still on first clutch and timing belt. Beat the hell out of it but would not break. Only just sold last week to get last chance at new one. Just broke 100 miles. | PeterOliver

216,666 | 2007 | SE | 5AT | Bought it last year, nothing other than regular maintenance, replaced 2 ignition coils and the front cats. Updated: (06/25/17) | makuta

216,320 | ? | ? | ? | ... Not even worth mentioning with these Titans of the road. | toaste

216,000 | 2007 | SE | 6MT | Just completed the ALCAN highway as part of a nearly 7000 mile between jobs road trip!!!!!!! Let me first say that this X sees more abuse than average for sure. Had water coming in the doors in the Florida swamp then turned around and drove to Alaska without a proper wash. This thing has been coast to coast multiple times and actually driven in both oceans as well as the Gulf of Mexico!

So getting down to business, here's the damage. Two big items, clutch and timing chain at around 206K. Could have been done sooner. Two failed coils. One primary cat as a consequence of the coil failure. One junkyard leaf spring (air bags do all the work so I didn't bother with new). One blower motor and resistor. One window motor. Master window switch. Struts, brakes, tires and other normal stuff as you would expect.

I do burn a little oil as a result of letting my bad CAT go too long... I can honestly say I have put this rig through hell and I am very thankful for what I got in return. If you'er reading this thread debating how long to run your X, my advice is forever. Keeping the car you got is better for the environment than buying a new hybrid!! | hn286409

211,000 | 2005 | S | 5AT | Replaced Tranny and Radiator at 150K. Updated: (07/05/16) Turned over 211,000 last month driving the Mojave Trail. Engine strong like Bull. | CAWoody

210,000 | 2006 | OR | 6MT | ? | Fresh Prince

208,600 | 2005 | S | 5AT | Timing chain, both cats, both front wheel bearings, rear end, O2 sensors, evap sensor, u-joints, inner tie rods, both upper ball joints(replaced control arms) and some other odds and ends. Runs good still. | Bigmex

206,000 | 2005 | S | 5AT | Trans replaced.... SMODed before my time. Have to replace the cats soon, as its throwing the code. Other than that its running strong. | MikeRo

204,000 | 2009 | OR | 6MT | Just put on new BFG KO2s today. Only items throughout the ownership from Day 1 were a replacement Clutch at 80K, new Bilsteins twice, Cooling System, Driverside Window Motor, and Rear Leaf Springs along with normal wear & tear items. Going to have to do another 02 Sensor. but other than that it has been such a reliable ride that it has become a game of how long I can keep this truck running. | ckay

202,700 | 2005 | SE | 5AT | Recently I did a trans poor man's flush, oil change, brake fluid change, rotated tires and punched out the cats. Catalytic converts were 100% stock and had never been replaced by anyone. Updated: (09/14/16) They went out at 187200 miles... that's was a huge surprise. Other than the cats going out, the X runs strong. | Uncommon

202,000 | 2006 | X | 5AT | I bought this truck on the beginnings of being neglected from a dealer in Prescott with 194,000 miles.Replacing the leaky steering rack and a nonexistent body mount are the biggest things I've had to do. Other than that, the truck was good to go from them. Got some more major things planned soon, like preemptive timing chain stuff and oil cooler delete. | FirstXRS

202,000 | 2006 | SE | 6MT | Just did an oil change. Timing chain, I think I did a wheel bearing once. Regular maintenance, runs great. Updated: (06/24/14) | Sproatlake

200,000 | 2005 | S | 5AT | Major work recently, at 187k, removed rust and painted frame and underbody as needed. Replaced secondary timing chains and all guides, only one guide had worn through. Replaced starter and fuel pump because why not. Replaced steering rack and PS pump cause it was getting a little harder to turn and a little drifting on the highway. Got rid of rusty c200, installed e-locker m226, Titan swapped the front, arb air locked m205, Radflos, welded up rear bumper and skid plates, Shrockworks sliders and front bumper w/ winch. Before all that work, the only non wear items replaced were radiator, and an alternator. My xterra has been good to me. | 545
O7 black s with 150000 just today but smod at 100000 less then 2 years and she runs better now

·
Registered
9 Posts
264,000 miles

Xterra S Automatic 4WD

Maintenance: Replaced transmission at 236,000 over SMOD. Brakes, Rotors, Fuel Pump, MAF Sensor, A/F Ratio Sensors, Brake Booster, Throttle Body, Accelerator Pedal. Some of these items werent "BAD", i just wanted to replace them because of age.

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
145,000 no special break downs.. Drivers side window a bit slow to come up when car is wet.Nothing actionable yet. Burns not a drop of oil.
Car gets flogged at 150-160 km/h (90-100 mph) for nearly a full tank's worth about once a month (Stuttgart to Berlin and Back, 3/4s of the route have no speed limit.)
Suspension is really to soft for this level of driving so I take great care in curves and slow down to 120 km/h (70 mph) in the sweepers before i reaccelerate to 100 mph for the long (near) straights.
This powertrain is hard as nails.
About to hit 150k and wondering what special maintenance I should do if any.
Update as of 031520 184,000 miles on my 2007 X
O7 black s with 150000 just today but smod at 100000 less then 2 years and she runs better now
264,000 miles - 2006 Xterra S Automatic 4x4

Maintenance: Replaced transmission at 236,000 over SMOD. Brakes, Rotors, Fuel Pump, MAF Sensor, A/F Ratio Sensors, Brake Booster, Throttle Body, Accelerator Pedal. Some of these items werent "BAD", i just wanted to replace them because of age.
Have UpDated / Added to Thread Mileage Lists! - (y)

·
Registered
2015 Pro 4X
94 Posts
15 p4x... 48K

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
^ Have UpDated / Added to Thread Mileage Lists! - (y) ^

481 - 500 of 521 Posts