Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

TexasX's Mild Build Thread

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  TexasX 
#1 · (Edited)
Thread Title: TexasX's Mild Build Thread

So, my X has been my wife's DD for over a decade, and now that it's not I'm actually building on it! All this time I've had a 2" spacer and 2" dual Deaver AAL from PRG on it that served me well until the shocks and coils wore out.

Username: TexasX
Year: 2006
Trim: S
Color: Night Armor

Current Mods

Front suspension:
Alldogs Offroad 2" lift medium springs
Bilstein 5100s (set at stock height)
Removed sway bar
Energy suspension bump stops on UCAs

Rear suspension:
2" Deaver dual AAL
Frontier Bilstein 5100s
Offroad Gorilla diff/axle breather
Removed sway bar

Armor:
Shrockworks sliders
Shrockworks rear diff cover
Shrockworks radiator, engine, trans skids.

Interior:
Alpine head unit that needs to be swapped out for something with Apple carplay
Kicker 6x9 components

Exterior:
285/75/R16 Cooper Evolution M/Ts
Curt hitch with receiver shackle
Stealth wheels w/ red center cap burger logos.

Items removed:
Factory side steps
Mud guards
2" lift spacers from PRG
Rockford Fosgate 300w RMS amp and 2x10 MTX subs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently:

See less See more
#5 ·
I've got an ARB bumper on order right now too, it's going to be a fun couple of weeks! I totally agree with you about waiting for more ADO products, I'll also be jumping on UCAs and rear recovery points.

Subscribed and looking forward to following along!

#4 ·
Subscribed.

This thread and your previous posts have somewhat reminded me of my own journey with the X.

Purchased in 2009; put an AAL, spacer/shackle lift, sliders and called it good for over a decade. I'm currently in the midst of many more upgrades.

I too was going to start a thread for my Xterra recently but thought it was almost silly after being a member here for over 11 years, but you have me beat! ha

Looking forward to following along...

#8 ·
I too was going to start a thread for my Xterra recently but thought it was almost silly after being a member here for over 11 years, but you have me beat! ha
You need a build thread if you've changed anything! It helps add some diversity to the X crowd. I feel like it's easy to see all these super built rigs and think if you can't get close to that, then it's not worth doing. And now, I regret not doing some of the numerous but more "tame" mods and getting out earlier.

#6 · (Edited)
A couple of weekends ago I got out to Hidden Falls Adventure Park west of Austin with some buds and that's where the two previous photos are from. Made it up this hill, which was awesome (first pic), only to find out at the top it was an ATV/SxS trail with no good way out!

We also saw a sweet Jeep that had 37s, Dana 60 axles, $5k of coilovers, and a V8!

The next day we drove some of the county roads west of there and found a gem of a creek to stop and relax at for a while, and did several other creek/river crossings.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
More of the river crossings we saw:

Attachments

#9 ·
Nice start to a mighty fine Xterra Page, TexasX, looking forward to your future build projects.

#12 ·
During that last wheeling trip I started getting the P0340 engine code for the bad passenger side camshaft position sensor. I replaced both of the camshaft sensors this weekend. I didn't realize how much power the ECM cuts out of the engine with this code! It really felt like I had 30-50 HP back!

This thread was pretty good help for reference on how to do it.

#13 ·
Ordered some Shrockworks sliders on 9/14, and a couple of days later got a estimated ship date of 11/13. I had hoped for sooner, but I can't really complain since this is about par for the course. I also wanted to get the White Knuckle sliders instead because I like their look a little more and they protect the body by the fender wells a bit more. But those would have cost me at least $140 more and I doubt I'll need the extra protection.

Besides, the savings allowed me to get a Shrock diff cover for my C200k that is also on the way!

#18 · (Edited)
Got 'em installed this past weekend. Here's the close ups and before and after:

These are my first M/T set, and I've only driven a dozen or so miles on them, so here's my first impressions:

1) I've got the front sway bar off, and with the old 265s it felt a little loose/squirrely with more body roll that I would like in corners, and I thought I was going to put the sway bar back on. With the wider 285s most of that is gone so I think I'll hold off on re-installing the sway bar.

2) The wet handling is pretty good. Didn't do extensive wet driving yet, but it didn't feel much different from the previous tires. I'm going to Hidden Falls (in the TX hill country) again on Father's Day weekend so I'll report back on off road performance after that.

3) The noise/howl is noticeable at all speeds, but it's only slightly annoying. A little bit of radio covers that up easily.

4) These tires were kicking up all sorts of water, so hopefully the lugs will clean out well off road. I hope no one is too close behind me!

5) Having 33s now, I already hate how it affects the final drive ratio. My X kicked out of 5th gear on smaller inclines than I would have expected. It's not too bad, but still really annoying. If this thing was my DD I'd definitely be looking to swap in an M226.

6) I've got to stealth my wheels now!

I liked my previous Coopers, they just aren't made for real off-roading. I really hope these work out well long-term because they're cheap too! $170 a piece! I guess I'm a Cooper tire fan now. :)

#19 ·
I finally stealthed my wheels and it looks awesome! I didn’t realize quite how bad the finish was chipping/flaking on a couple of the wheels, so it needed it. Also the burger logos weren’t really chrome anymore so I had to refresh those, and I’m using red for other small accents too like the tow hook and diff cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.