Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is some trails in the 2nd largest state in the US?! I can't find hardly any! Id like to go to some kind of offroading trails. I know of one about 20 minutes from where I live but mostly gigantic trucks go out there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agreed! Been in DFW area for a few months and have found virtually nothing. Also, coming from Michigan, looking for trees, forests, rivers, wetlands. I know, "It's Texas" NOT Michigan. Help us guys

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah it kinda sucks....most of the "off road" areas are private and you pay to play. Ive been to the beach a few times, but yeah OHV trails that are free are virtually non existent. Even the pay to play places such as hidden falls are few and far between, and often kinda pricey. Ive been to the one in Crosby, TX but its mainly for RZRs and 4 wheelers. A lot of the trails there are just too narrow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I moved down here from Michigan as well. It takes some getting used to. I'm in Weatherford, although I haven't been out in my X yet we go out to Rock trails of Tolar.

There website is lacking but they have some decent trails and sometimes even mud. http://www.rocktrails.com/contact

They also have some difficult trails that require serious rigs.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I hadn't heard of rock trails before. In Texas, any trails are going to be dirt county roads or on someone's property. There is a park out in Bridgeport West of Ft. Worth, there is Barnwell Mountain out in East Texas near Gilmer. General Sams in the Huntsville area, Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch is near College Station. Katemcy Rocks was in Llano but lost their lease and now have K2 which is near Mason, Tx. I've been out to Hidden Falls Adventure Park a couple of times now and they have a well established set of trails that range from stock to super challenging. Theres supposed to be another park down near Houston or Baytown, but I think its mainly mud and mostly just ATVs and Side-by-sides.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Chile Challenge is in Las Cruces NM just west of El Paso TX. It's in Oct and has a variety of trail difficulties. I know it's a drive but it's worth planning for.

Currently the stuff in the Dona Ana mountains is free.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
I hadn't heard of rock trails before. In Texas, any trails are going to be dirt county roads or on someone's property. There is a park out in Bridgeport West of Ft. Worth, there is Barnwell Mountain out in East Texas near Gilmer. General Sams in the Huntsville area, Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch is near College Station. Katemcy Rocks was in Llano but lost their lease and now have K2 which is near Mason, Tx. I've been out to Hidden Falls Adventure Park a couple of times now and they have a well established set of trails that range from stock to super challenging. Theres supposed to be another park down near Houston or Baytown, but I think its mainly mud and mostly just ATVs and Side-by-sides.
There is one Rock trail and that is in Tolar, TX. It is a pretty new park but they are working on more trails all the time. Check out the site. http://www.rocktrails.com/. Both Barnwell and Bridgeport are pretty good places since I have been out there. Also there are some up in OK that are pretty close to Texas to drive to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
another michigan to texas guy here, im in the southern katy richmond area. their is gotta be something around here so drive on other then pavement.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Most the places east of Austin are going to be mudding type trails/playgrounds.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah Ive been there. Its a lot of mud and narrow RZR ATV trails. You can mess around there, but would be a better time with a 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bridgeport is a pretty fun park. A little bit of everything there. The people are nice and don't mind if you tag along with them. It's $25 to enter for the day and you can leave and come back throughout the day for food and stuff. I have some pics, if you'd like to see.

·
Registered
2014 P4X Night Armor
6 Posts
Check out Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park. The Ranch has some trails that will give your X a workout!
-=Tom=-
2014 Pro-4X

·
Registered
167 Posts
You guys can always come up to Colorado and join all of us up here! Also, Arizona, and Utah are close, but yeah it sucks not having great trails close bye.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check out Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park. The Ranch has some trails that will give your X a workout!
-=Tom=-
2014 Pro-4X
Man I go to Big Bend a lot but didn't know there were trails around there? I did find an old logging trail around there a while back that gave my X a workout but that was the only trail my X has been. Still to this day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts