Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a lead on any quality welders or custom metal shops that can modify a rear bumper/tire carrier. I have an awesome Maxterra bumper but it just isn’t compatible with a hitch mounted bike carrrier without losing access to the rear hatch. I’m looking for anyone in TN, north Alabama, or southern KY that can either weld up a hitch receiver to the current arm or go dual swing out, or something. Ideas are welcome...

(I’ve tried swing-away adapters (Yakima, Kuat, etc) but the lack of clearance still blocks the tire carrier swing arm. Not a fan of tire mounted bike carrier options, and bikes can’t go on the roof because my kayaks live there.)

·
TNX Veteran
4,447 Posts
BTW - I did exactly what you are thinking (hitch on the swingarm). I've had it for a year and a half now. It is fantastic for bikes. I recently upgraded to a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack and with my lift/tires the bike rack sits super tall. So not only can I open the swingarm and get into the truck with the bikes on, but it also doesn't kill my departure angle. However, I think you need the extended swingarm version of Maxterra or your bikes might hit your truck when you open.

I would recommend this option as it would be pretty easy for any welder to slap something in there as opposed to engineering a brand new dual swing out setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BTW - I did exactly what you are thinking (hitch on the swingarm). I've had it for a year and a half now. It is fantastic for bikes. I recently upgraded to a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack and with my lift/tires the bike rack sits super tall. So not only can I open the swingarm and get into the truck with the bikes on, but it also doesn't kill my departure angle. However, I think you need the extended swingarm version of Maxterra or your bikes might hit your truck when you open.

I would recommend this option as it would be pretty easy for any welder to slap something in there as opposed to engineering a brand new dual swing out setup.

Haha, thanks man! Your thread is the exact reason I’m looking to get it modified!

I am hoping to get just a receiver welded in. (Edit: We don’t have the same swing arm. So it’s either that or dual, I guess?) I was thinking of going dual, to relieve the stress on that single pivot. I would probably leave my rack on quite often if it fit and I want to add a fold down table too.

If @maXTERRA has any advice or options on that, I'd love to hear it as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts