Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed an issue today, this is the first time this has happened. I am driving in 4H due to snow and i noticed that while the engine is going from 2nd to 3rd gear it feels like a temporary power loss. This only lasts maybe 1 second and then it drives fine. I was thinking that the tranny may be slipping but it doesn't seem to get stuck in a neutral state and the RPM's don't jump, and it doesn't jerk the vehicle at all when it shifts. I have a automatic, if anyone knows what this problem could be please let me know. Thanks!:scratch: I also have not gotten any engine faults either.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Something exactly like this happened to me too, I thought the tires slipped but then it happened again. I wasn't able to replicate the issue after the second time. Hopefully nothing bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing, i didn't notice the slip light come on though. I live up in Alaska and today was the most snow i've seen on the roads yet so its possible i could be sliding a little. Transmission issues scare me, they can get $$$ from what i hear. I have been lucky and never had any transmission issues at all. I think im gonna hit wally world parking lot tomorrow (a spot with no cars of course) and mess around a little in 2wd and see what happens. So when it happened to you it never came back?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. sorry ive been busy, but anyway the roads have cleared up and ive been in 2wd and havent noticed any slippage. I went snowboarding the other day and was in 4H while driving up the mtn which had a pretty good amount of snow on it and didnt notice anything unusual there either. i think your right ATL i may have been slipping a tiny bit and felt it but the light didnt come on. Hopefully thats all it was. take it easy!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It happened again today, there is a little snow in the pavement and I am driving on 2wd and the truck hesitated right before changing from 2 to 3 gear (auto tranny). He stopped for some groceries and on our way back home it did it again, but this time it hesitated about three consecutive times, before changing gears, then one time right after. It felt like if the gas pump or injectors were clogged. I don't know if cold weather may have to do with this but windshield temp is like 3 degrees.

Called the mechanic but he isn't working today. I noticed a little dirty the engine bay (film of grease/oil) and I know that the main engine seal needs to be replaced, which has also led me to believe that I don't have enough oil / oil pressure. About to check oil level, tranny fluid level and coolant level.

Hopefully my transmission is not acting up.

So, has any of you also experienced this over the last couple of weeks now that the weather is colder?

I will share my findings.

Thanks
Ramiro

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So is the motor missing or it the transmission slipping. Or do you not know?
Checked all fluid levels, everything ok other than the engine needing new oil.

Went to the oil shop and got the oil changed, last oil change it was semisynthetic and I went back to synthetic Mobil1 and purolator oil filter, removed (tossed) the drop in K&N air filter and replaced with purolator air filter, added a bottle of Lucas engine additive and a bottle of Lucas fuel system deep clean treatment.

I am going to check PCV valve, and maybe look into checking spark plugs (changed about 30k miles), check spark plug wires (looking to do the whole tune-up

This weekend I will be going to the muffler shop to have them check my cats. I have done the air/fuel relearn procedure but I think I am still running rich, heavy gas smell when idling and poor MPGs.

I will continue to monitor and determine if this see if it only happens when the truck is cold (may need to let it run a little longer in the mornings, as today I didn't let it idle at all)

I don't think it was the transmission though.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Despite the real cold weather these past two days truck ran fine, I left it idling for 5 minutes or so, strange. Somewhere I read that a dirty MAF sensor can do that... Will check that tomorrow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts