Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking this question because I'm sure I'm not the only noobie to wonder this, and I'm ready for my flaming haha :blackeye:

But I have my armor on order and my volant shipped today. I've also committed to the shrock group buy for a front bumper and skids (guaranteed 4 months, but better than 8!), and I'm going to make my own rear bumper while I wait (I'll post my progress). And hopefully I can scratch up the dough for the old man EMU complete kit before that arrives. So I know for myself, when I take things to this level and spend this much money, I follow through.

But.... I've only owned Maxima's and my last Nissan, my Altima SE-R. I've never offroaded before, except one night in my maxima...in an ice storm...nevermind....:crybaby:

How did the veteran wheelers get their start? What did you do, who did you go with (veterans, fellow noobs) ? I

I have read a lot, and learned a lot about the equipment and setup for offroading, but I still don't really know where to start when it comes to actually offroading once I have everything.

Cheers!

-Brian

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Come down to Nexterra's Northern Exposure, or GPAX Shocker 007 at Rausch Creek Pa. Both clubs have great people, and run groups for different skill and build levels. Having run with both clubs I can tell ya everyone wants to see everyone else get home safely and without damage.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come down to Nexterra's Northern Exposure, or GPAX Shocker 007 at Rausch Creek Pa. Both clubs have great people, and run groups for different skill and build levels. Having run with both clubs I can tell ya everyone wants to see everyone else get home safely and without damage.
I'd like that, but are there any trails (or people willing to run them) with x's like mine, who will basically only have armor and a volant? I just want to be shown the ropes, and when I'm a vet I'll be the guy who shows the noobs the ropes :salute:

But I don't want to make this all about me, I want to hear your story!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I built a monster rig(four years) then went wheeling with some locals where I stood the rig on the back two wheels, scared the **** out of myself, the went to Moab that May.
Nice, so I wouldn't be the only guy to build a rig they have no idea what to do with lol. I can't wait till mines done! Years of owning a car, I'm really excited for something completly different.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Where I grew up it was a way of life. When I first joined the military I went without a 4x4 for 3 years and it killed me. Luckily most that time was spent in school studying so I didn't have much time for it anyways. I'll never do it again.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Two tracks for fly fishing, logging roads for hunting, trails to go camping, and beaches/sand dunes... My dad used to let me drive the X at the dunes and on two tracks in the woods when he got it back in 05. Over the years we went to more and more places, one thing led to another, and now I'm into it hook line and sinker!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
We in NEXTerra are happy to have new guys on board, and we'll take you on stock trails when possible :thumbup:

If you can stand the drive out to MA, we have an extremely stock-friendly set of trails in the southeast part of the state, and a more challenging (but still stock-friendly) property mid-state on the CT border. We're also developing properties up in NH, west-central MA, and we're down at Rausch Creek in PA fairly often. There are a few other offroad parks in New England that would have newbie-friendly areas.

The first time I ever went out was in a completely stock SE minus mudflaps and step rails, with a group of veteran wheelers and three other newbies in western MA (and I made it known it was my first time out). Our trail leader (Ripper) made sure that all the new guys were keeping up, even got me out of a rough spot.

We actually didn't make it very far along the trail due to bad conditions, and when I revisited the trail this past summer I found that the part I didn't get to see that first time out was actually going to be pretty technical (drive forward one foot, cut the wheel all the way to one side, drive another foot, cut the wheel all the way to the other, drive another foot, watch the mirror get folded in by the next tree down the line...). Although by then I'd had enough experience that it was way more fun.

My main tip: wherever you go, don't go alone!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The first two times I went out, I was actually a passenger. Those two trips helped me see different people going at the same obstacle with different techniques. Off-roading is not a one size fits all shindig. Dont be afraid to ask questions. If you arent comfortable doing something, dont let others pressure you into doing it. If you need someone to help spot.you through an area, ask. Dont assume itll be fine or someone will be there to help. Most importantly, have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
We in NEXTerra are happy to have new guys on board, and we'll take you on stock trails when possible :thumbup:

If you can stand the drive out to MA, we have an extremely stock-friendly set of trails in the southeast part of the state, and a more challenging (but still stock-friendly) property mid-state on the CT border. We're also developing properties up in NH, west-central MA, and we're down at Rausch Creek in PA fairly often. There are a few other offroad parks in New England that would have newbie-friendly areas.

The first time I ever went out was in a completely stock SE minus mudflaps and step rails, with a group of veteran wheelers and three other newbies in western MA (and I made it known it was my first time out). Our trail leader (Ripper) made sure that all the new guys were keeping up, even got me out of a rough spot.

We actually didn't make it very far along the trail due to bad conditions, and when I revisited the trail this past summer I found that the part I didn't get to see that first time out was actually going to be pretty technical (drive forward one foot, cut the wheel all the way to one side, drive another foot, cut the wheel all the way to the other, drive another foot, watch the mirror get folded in by the next tree down the line...). Although by then I'd had enough experience that it was way more fun.

My main tip: wherever you go, don't go alone!
Oh yeah, I'm a former Marine, I know you never do anything alone unless there's no choice. I'd certainly like to take you up on that.

And I'm a driver, I love road trips. We go to Portsmouth NH for weekend trips, so MA,PA,VT,NH, is no issue for me. My girl on the other hand.... Is not exactly the hard-core roadie girl so that's a challenge haha. She's all up for camping, but car camping, she doesn't hump 6 miles into the wilderness for a lean-to like me and my buddies. So I would have to pitch it to her, unless its like a day thing, where we can stay in a hotel. Don't get me wrong, I'd actually rather sleep in the wilderness, but a happy (future) wife is a happy life haha

But if I came myself, how long do the trips last? All day or all weekend? What time do people start?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
NEXTerra is a great group of guys and gals to wheel with. There are lots of folks that help out. All types of rigs show up at the events and they run all types of trails. The first time I went to Rausch was the northern exposure run and I was on 32's, sliders and stock skid plates.

Join a club and get out there.... :D

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Most of our wheeling events are just one-day affairs, usually starting in the morning (last run was an 8:30 AM meetup, leaving for the trails at 9:00) and we can point you to local motels if necessary (we once had a whole gaggle of guys come up from NYC for a super-stock friendly night run). Most of our active membership is clustered on the MA, RI and CT corner so our events are usually catered for not more than a two-hour commute; for the most part everyone else is either up north or in the NY/NJ/PA area.

The only local multi-day events I can think of are the East Coast Xterra Challenge during the summer (lodging and camping available) and Back to School Run in the fall (which is actually in upstate NY! Pitch your own tent in one of our member's yards. Tougher trails though.).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Come out to the meets, Rausch Creek was my first official offroad park and it was great. Get a cb radio for the trails so you can talk to the rest of the group

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first two times I went out, I was actually a passenger. Those two trips helped me see different people going at the same obstacle with different techniques. Off-roading is not a one size fits all shindig. Dont be afraid to ask questions. If you arent comfortable doing something, dont let others pressure you into doing it. If you need someone to help spot.you through an area, ask. Dont assume itll be fine or someone will be there to help. Most importantly, have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I'm not one to be afraid to ask questions and admit I don't know something. I've learned that hubris can get you hurt, even killed. I will never put myself or others I'm with in undue danger. If I don't feel comfortable, I won't do it, I've learned to trust my gut.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So when is the next M&G or wheeling trip within 4 hours of albany? Ive looked on the regionals but didnt find anything that hasnt passed already.

I know its the holidays so its a little rough for everyone.

But even though I'd like to keep this about me, I'd still like to hear about everyone's first time wheeling!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yeah, I'm not one to be afraid to ask questions and admit I don't know something. I've learned that hubris can get you hurt, even killed. I will never put myself or others I'm with in undue danger. If I don't feel comfortable, I won't do it, I've learned to trust my gut.
You have already learned one of the toughest lessons, without even leaving pavement!

Seriously though, come out to a trail event. There is always a group running stock friendly and mild trails.

There are both campground(with cabin) and hotels nearby to Rausch Creek. I bet there is something near Gremlin Graveyard in Ma, but I have never been there.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
So when is the next M&G or wheeling trip within 4 hours of albany? Ive looked on the regionals but didnt find anything that hasnt passed already.

I know its the holidays so its a little rough for everyone.

But even though I'd like to keep this about me, I'd still like to hear about everyone's first time wheeling!

The next NEXTerra events are:

Northern Exposure Run - Rausch Creek Offroad Park (Tremont, PA). Sunday 01/05
Northern Exposure Run - Gremlin Graveyard (Sturbridge, MA). Saturday 01/11

If you can make it to both runs, you get to to meet both parts of the crew! Rausch is, according to Google, just shy of four hours away, and one of our members will be camping Saturday night to meet everyone else. Gremlin is less than two hours.

For both of these locations, you will have to pay to wheel. Rausch requires a membership ($15 for the year and a $35 entrance fee) and as a private property rented by the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Gremlin requires a $20/vehicle land use fee. You will also need to sign NEXTerra waivers at both properties; Rausch has its own additional waiver. You must also be a NEXTerra member to join these runs (especially Gremlin) but you do not need to pay a supporting member's fee (unless you want to).

By the way, supporting membership fees are due in February if you choose to become one :) Supporting members get voting privileges, discounts on club shirts and some other merch, and access to raffles and exclusive wheeling trips.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The next NEXTerra events are:

Northern Exposure Run - Rausch Creek Offroad Park (Tremont, PA). Sunday 01/05
Northern Exposure Run - Gremlin Graveyard (Sturbridge, MA). Saturday 01/11

If you can make it to both runs, you get to to meet both parts of the crew! Rausch is, according to Google, just shy of four hours away, and one of our members will be camping Saturday night to meet everyone else. Gremlin is less than two hours.

For both of these locations, you will have to pay to wheel. Rausch requires a membership ($15 for the year and a $35 entrance fee) and as a private property rented by the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Gremlin requires a $20/vehicle land use fee. You will also need to sign NEXTerra waivers at both properties; Rausch has its own additional waiver. You must also be a NEXTerra member to join these runs (especially Gremlin) but you do not need to pay a supporting member's fee (unless you want to).

By the way, supporting membership fees are due in February if you choose to become one :)
That's good info, thanks! I sent an email to [email protected] to ask how to join. I'm always up for supporting a good cause! :eek:ccasion5: I'll also be donating to thenewx, I've learned so much,and the people here seem great!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts