Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just finish installing the TC UCA's along with AC's Coilover shocks. But I still get a fair amount of contact with my coilbucket against TC UCA's bump stop. There's about 1/2"-3/8" space between the bumpstop on the UCA and the coilbucket. And my AC coilovers have the spring's base set at 4.5" from the bottom of the shock. So overall, my front lift is level with my rear at 37.5".

My questions is... if i drop the base of of my AC coils from it's 4.5" setting down to about 2.5-3", will i get more space between the UCA bumpstops and the coilbucket?? Thereby lessening the amount of contact between them? Overall, the ride feels better and I can feel the front shocks bouncing... but i still get "thumps" instead of "clangings" from the stock UCA setup of before.

Anybody else have this setup or any insight/knowledge/advice would be great! Thx.

·
on line
204 Posts
if you lower the coilovers you will have less contact, that's what i did. stupid nissan designers didn't give us much to work with.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Yeah, decreasing the preload is about your only option.
Bear in mind, the TC UCA's are designed to contact the coilbucket, hence the built-in bumpstop. With the longer shock it's inevitable.

I think you're the first i've heard of running those coilovers... post some pics; don't be scurred!!

·
on line
1,884 Posts

MC speachless??? Is tis a first?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
installation shots... in no particular order

Here are some random shots of various installation stages. Mind you, I took the pictures with my camera phone... came out quite descent actually. I'll post more details when I have time as to my "suspension saga"... as I like to call it. Still not completely finished as I need to re-adjust the front coilovers and get an alignment done. One note I'd like to mention tho', my first choice wasn't AC... if I had to do it all over again I might've gone with full PRG and Radflo package. But let's see if this setup suffices for my needs... or holds up for that matter!

*see this linky for an overall looksee: http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/genx_hawaii/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MY SUSPENSION SAGA CONTINUES!

on 2nd thought... might as well talk about it since i can't sleep right now.

I started with Calmini's spacer and shackle setup. Then I heard some good things about AC's coil and shackles. I agree they use very hefty materials. AC coils are stiff and shackles are stout! But two saturdays ago, I installed the AC coils on my stock shocks... and lo' and behold... my first test run through gravel dirt and lava roads my right front stock coilovers blew! I mean blew up!!! Stock coilovers snapped in the middle and oil was splattered all over my inside fender well. SO.... i was now desperate and during a crisis situation I immediately called AC and had them ship me their AC coilovers and bilstein rear shocks pronto! Got it in 2 days UPS and installed them right away (of course they didn't bother to include install instructions at the time). Good thing my roommate buddy works in an auto shop..... so we had full access to every tool needed to make the install as easy as possible. Extracting the broken coilover shock from the AC coil spring took 1.5 hours alone! Thats cuz we were being extra cautios due to the unstable tension in the compressed AC spring during removal. We thought it'd come flying out! But it ended safely.

So, being that it sounds like i'm the first with a full AC suspension, your probably asking how the complete AC setup feels so far? Well, I am happy with the rear shackles and the front shocks do seem to do their job. I feel quite a bit of soft bounce/compression whenever I go over a hump on the road. But instead of hearing a metal "clang" like I used to get with the stock UCA and coilbucket... I now feel a "thump/thud" from the TC UCA's bumperstop. An improvement??? I'd say partly but I guess we'll never get a "contact-free" UCA and coilbucket combination.

So only time will tell at this point. I am somewhat satisfied. But after discovering PRG and talking it up with Greg last week for 30 minutes... I gotta say I really like his approach to customer service. But of course he will ALWAYS be in support of his own products he sells and uses. Business is still business ya' know! But still a very experienced, knowledgeable, and nice guy.

So, all that's left is to get an alignment hopefully tomorrow. But i'm still debating whether I should adjust the AC coilovers base down to 2.5 to 3 inches from the bottom of the coilover shock. Right now, the Xterra is exactly leveled out. But i'm thinking if i make the adjustment, it'll lower my front thereby giving my X a somewhat rakish stance. (anybody care to chime in about this?)

Finally, I should mention that I'm by no means an expert off-road enthusiast. I just happen to live in a very tropical and lushful land thats full of lava rocks and dirt roads just to get to a beach. So having a capable offroad vehicle is a must here. So take my assessment with a grain of salt. I'll keep you all posted later on.

Aloha and ahui ho!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
GenX_Hawaii said:
Finally, I should mention that I'm by no means an expert off-road enthusiast. I just happen to live in a very tropical and lushful land thats full of lava rocks and dirt just to get to a beach. So having a capable offroad vehicle is a must here. So take my assessment with a grain of salt. I'll keep you all posted later on.

Aloha and ahui ho!
Dude, that's exactly the kind of post people here need... just a good all-around, real world assessment of how it's working for you. No need to be an expert OR guy... most of us aren't so... Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts