Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
How is highway driving? Feel free to drive on the highway now and report 馃榾
When I drove from San Jose to Las Vegas on my stock 31" tire with stock gearing, I was seeing 2250rpm at my favorite speed 73-ish mph (as seen on the Garmin 61LMT GPS).
Coming back from Las Vegas with my new 4.10 gears and 33", the RPMs jumped to 2750 (+~500) at same speed.
After installing the 33s and the alignment, I could definitively feel the bigger tires in the steering. Slightly harder to steer.
After installing those 35s, my RPMs at constant GPS speed is now ~2500, right in the middle.
The speedo is way more off (speedo says 60, GPS says ~65).
I did not feel that much of a change going from 33 to 35 as I did when going from 31 & stock gears to 33s.

The car does not feel sluggish at all (probably due to the 4.10 gears). On some hills, I do have to press the gas pedal a bit more. I've not felt much difference in braking too (but did not do any measurements).

The most noticeable downside is in the high speed turns/curves. I do have the SLIP that lights up more. I'm not sure why, but it's very noticeable on the leaf of the cloverleaf highway interchange.
I wonder if it's due to the new tires or are my ABS wheel speed sensors going bad? dunno.

Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
with the strut in place how will you get the tire against the bump stop to know where the tires will sit under full compression ? Sure you can drive the rig somewhere and flex the suspension to its max
Take notes and mark where things rub
[...]
Drive back to your flex spot to see if it鈥檚 still clearing
[...]
I'm experimentalist, and it happens that my flex spot is on my driveway, so, yep driving back-n-forth and experimenting and marking... sorry.

Registered
I'm experimentalist, and it happens that my flex spot is on my driveway, so, yep driving back-n-forth and experimenting and marking... sorry.
to each is their own , I just prefer to do things the easier way . Tires look great , that break in the side tread definitely helps the tire flex when aired down . On my truck I have to get down to 16 or so to get them to squat with the sidewall being so thick .

Registered
On the rear you can get what鈥檚 called a zero rate plate that can allow you to move the rear axle forward either a 1/2 or 1鈥 forward to pull it out of the rear bumper . There鈥檚 not a lot of room for trimming back there on the drivers side due to the evap box and plate that鈥檚 right behind it .

Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Trip Update: went to a secret facility in the southwest desert, and tested the Kenda 35鈥 tires for several hours at 85MPH. Very silent. No problem even with the heat at 3pm. Also had to do a couple of quick lane change and as stable as my BFG 33s. (this is still a 7 foot tall short vehicle, not a Corvette).

TNX Veteran
FYI - there is a new option out there in this size. I like it a lot better than the Klevers. 95% chance it'll be my next tire probably next summer. Wish it was out last summer when I got my most recent set.

TNX Veteran
Trip Update after 3 days in Moab, I can confirm that those are great off road tires too. Nick from Rogue Overland with the yellow SAS鈥檇 1st gen Xterra commented 鈥these tires grab like nobody鈥檚 business
Also that's a lot of talk with no pics!! C'mon man, let's see these bad boys in action! :p

Registered
FYI - there is a new option out there in this size. I like it a lot better than the Klevers. 95% chance it'll be my next tire probably next summer. Wish it was out last summer when I got my most recent set.

View attachment 136549
Bringing this back, why do you think this is better than the Klevers? I'm looking into these 'skinny' 35s because they are wide enough (33" KO2s now) and should be lighter than any other wider 315s out there.

TNX Veteran
Bringing this back, why do you think this is better than the Klevers? I'm looking into these 'skinny' 35s because they are wide enough (33" KO2s now) and should be lighter than any other wider 315s out there.
I like the tread design & sidewall design much better. I've also had good experience with Mickey Thompson in the past. I hear the Klevers get loud pretty quickly on the highway, hoping MT's don't. MT's are also 3-peak mountain snowflake rated.

One thing I learned though is that the Baja Boss is actually 35x10x17 size. 10 is pretty narrow. That's barely the width of our stock 265mm width tires. I was hoping for more of a 35x11.5 which is similar to width of most 33"/285mm width tires. That 10" width is going to be a bit small for my new wheels :(

Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Any updates? did you end up having to do a body lift?
Yep, I ended up doing a body lift. Check my build thread for all the steps that involved.
I also found out that with the stock lower arms, those tires despite being narrow
were rubbing against the frame in the rear.
So I ended up doing a Titan swap up front with lower & upper control arms, QX80 axles and Radflos 2.5 w/ remote res.
I need to update my build thread with all those changes....

Registered
Yep, I ended up doing a body lift. Check my build thread for all the steps that involved.
I also found out that with the stock lower arms, those tires despite being narrow
were rubbing against the frame in the rear.
So I ended up doing a Titan swap up front with lower & upper control arms, QX80 axles and Radflos 2.5 w/ remote res.
I need to update my build thread with all those changes....
I'm scheduling a full Titan swap soon, so without the body lift, fronts should not rub, correct?

Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I'm scheduling a full Titan swap soon, so without the body lift, fronts should not rub, correct?
I've never tried it, but yes. See the 35s Club thread: quite a few people run just a Titan Swap only.
Pay attention to your shock adjusments (maybe a screwable collar, or a ring that clips in multiple positions).
This will determine your ride height: middle of the front fender to the floor.
I am now running 14" long springs on Radflos 2.5. On first try, my ride height was lower than with spacers because we had given all the length to the spring. Since then, I had the bottom clip moved up one slot which resulted in ~1 inch ride height increase (and therefore more clearance for the tire to avoid rubbing).
Automotive tire Tire Tread Wheel Motorcycle

61 - 78 of 78 Posts