Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I recommend reading about the "Brutal Alignment" on this and the Frontier forum:
Thanks, will do.

First, and most importantly - BODY LIFT. Do you have any body lift?
[...]
I believe 1" BL is the sweet spot of not having too much frame gap but clearing tires. I would not run 35s without any BL personally.
[...]
Uh, oh! I don't have any body lift at all.
I was hoping getting by with raising the springs in the front shocks:

I've done that with light motorcycles in teh past, but don't know how compressible that spring is without any special tools.

I guess a 1" body lift is in my future...

Thanks for the advice.

·
TNX Veteran
4,652 Posts
Thanks, will do.

Uh, oh! I don't have any body lift at all.

I've done that with light motorcycles in teh past, but don't know how compressible that spring is without any special tools.

I guess a 1" body lift is in my future...

Thanks for the advice.
Just be aware of what you might need for your bumpers/sliders after body lift. There will be a gap between them after you raise the body. You will have to get different mounting brackets/holes to get them to line up like they are currently. Most aftermarket bumpers have provisions for 2" BL or stock height, but I had to request some custom brackets and holes for my bumpers for my 1".

Just "raising the springs" is not a good solution. All that does is raise your starting height. The tire still will fully compress (when the shock is compressed) to the same location theoretically. So you don't actually save anything. On top of that, it will ruin your down-travel and make the ride rough.

·
Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Uh oh! That’s not going to be easy to undo:

First fender is cut ! Feels weird to take an angle grinder to your prized possession...

So I measured 2” straight vertical all across the bulging bottom portion and the second point is just below the top screw of the liner ( I figured keeping two - top & bottom - screw holes would help secure the liner ). Between those two points just drew a straight line with masking tape.

And here is the tire still in the air:

·
TNX Veteran
4,425 Posts
Before you go doing things you clearly don't understand..... You really need to read up on adjustable shocks... i.e. free spring height, block height, shock travel, preload, coil bind, compression, droop, total travel etc. Then you need do the math. It's far too long a list of things for me to even want to type, but suffice it to say, if you think you can adjust those Radflo's because there are threads left, you really need educate yourself... or just keep doing things half assed.

·
Premium Member
2011 Pro-4X AT
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
After cutting the passenger front fender, I did some moves to see if it was at risk of hitting somewhere else.

At full lock, it's fine:

But at partial, it is very close to hitting the fender-to-body lip (and that lip is straight like a knife blade into the tire):

Enter the Hammer. I folded the lip:

Now, I have way more clearance:

With the change of offset (Factory: +30mm, DX4 Recon: +0mm), the tire is sticking out by about 1":

In the rear, the tire also stick out by ~1", but it is also ~ 1" farther away from the spring as the width is almost the same (11.6" vs 11.2"):

Up front, I also checked if there was any rubbing against the frame:
Plenty of space (~1") in the rear:

And similar in the front:

The only concern would be the rear of the ARB bumper bracket which could tear into the tire at full lock and fully compressed.

Overall, pretty happy with that tall & narrow 35 x 10.50 R17 Kenda Klever R/T tire trial.

·
TNX Veteran
4,425 Posts
I see you cranked up the adjusting collars. You really need to figure out the math between free height, block height, pre load height and shock travel to see if you're going to get coil bind. It looks to me me from the pic that you will, and if not, you've simply entered into the ride's like shit category.

Your rig, your way, just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Some people would rather look good than feel good. It might ride like a dump truck, but it's got 35s!
Reminds me of my Dakota I had in college. I wanted a lift so bad but had no money so I just cranked the torsion bars to the max. I got my 2” of lift but my suspension was basically just sidewall flex.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can't just throw something like this out without telling the story. A lightning strike?
Yes my puppy and I were driving very slow thru a severe thunder storm when bamm!!! The percussion felt like a blow to the head, ears ringing and a haze in the car. At first I thought my X may be on fire but realized the interior was filled with only dust, probably from the head liner. With grit in my teeth and the taste of ozone in the car I pulled over to gather my senses and get my pup who had tried to get under the seat. With the dash/check engine lights on I kept driving to my destination which was about 30 miles. That afternoon had a low rear tire with half a dozen small leaks all within a few inches of each other, doing a soap test I tried plugging them to no avail so I put green slime and it held up for 6 years. The lightening entered the Xterra rear window squirter and exited the left rear tire. Dash lights returned to normal after first re-start.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yes my puppy and I were driving very slow thru a severe thunder storm when bamm!!! The percussion felt like a blow to the head, ears ringing and a haze in the car. At first I thought my X may be on fire but realized the interior was filled with only dust, probably from the head liner. With grit in my teeth and the taste of ozone in the car I pulled over to gather my senses and get my pup who had tried to get under the seat. With the dash/check engine lights on I kept driving to my destination which was about 30 miles. That afternoon had a low rear tire with half a dozen small leaks all within a few inches of each other, doing a soap test I tried plugging them to no avail so I put green slime and it held up for 6 years. The lightening entered the Xterra rear window squirter and exited the left rear tire. Dash lights returned to normal after first re-start.
That is shocking!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Woah!! That's crazy!! Glad you and your pup made it out safely.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,237 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,652 Posts
That afternoon had a low rear tire with half a dozen small leaks all within a few inches of each other, doing a soap test I tried plugging them to no avail so I put green slime and it held up for 6 years.
Honestly this is the most impressive part of that story lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take your strut out so you can fully compress the suspension to figure out where things will rub , what works clears on the street will not always clear on the trail .

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Take your strut out so you can fully compress the suspension to figure out where things will rub , what works clears on the street will not always clear on the trail .
Definitely don't do this. You will hit your bump stops well before you hit your fenders. If not, you did not lift correctly...smh

21 - 40 of 78 Posts