Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my trooper that I had done a full SAS with a dana 44 and 37's. Absolutely loved it but decided it became too much work. Plus it was really old-1990. Fast forward, fell in love with the X. Now I have this, 2006 OR, with what I believe is a 1.5" lift with 285/7516's. But I can't help but imagine a 3" lift and 35's. Is this a disease??? Please stop me. I don't have a lot of funds for this vehicle and it seems like the setup is just about perfect. But is it? I feel like just a tad more lift and I'd be happy. But what will it cost? Oh man, where does it stop? Guess the middle ground is it what I'm looking for. Nice ranting with you all..

·
Registered
648 Posts
mine is stock height and has been for 10 years......no where I've needed to get to I haven't been able to get to without damage.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What’s the deal with everyone wanting 35s lately??Come on guys do some searching. Bottom line is that they will not fit without trimming, even with a 3” lift, and to make the X driveable you’re going to need to regear to 4.10s at a minimum. For the money there are much more cost effective ways to make the X more capable. T-swap it on 33s and send it. If you want to drop the $$$$$ go for it but you’re looking at nearly $5k (excluding tires) to make it work (assuming you want to do it right).

·
TNX Veteran
4,021 Posts
33s with a 1.5" lift is the middle ground I would say. You are already there!

99% of access/mining/forest roads can be undertaken with a stock Xterra. 94% of 4x4 trails can be completed with an Xterra on 33s. 35s are expensive to get set up and a PITA. You need to regear, probably should get a stronger front diff, it's tough on the steering rack, MPG sucks, you need to cut metal.... it's all pretty daunting. 35s really just get you to be able to do crazy stuff. And the crazy stuff is where you tend to break even more.

Now I have 35s. I was gonna taunt you by posting a picture but I'll just put it behind this link so you can choose to avoid it if you wish: CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
33s with a 1.5" lift is the middle ground I would say. You are already there!

99% of access/mining/forest roads can be undertaken with a stock Xterra. 94% of 4x4 trails can be completed with an Xterra on 33s. 35s are expensive to get set up and a PITA. You need to regear, probably should get a stronger front diff, it's tough on the steering rack, MPG sucks, you need to cut metal.... it's all pretty daunting. 35s really just get you to be able to do crazy stuff. And the crazy stuff is where you tend to break even more.

Now I have 35s. I was gonna taunt you by posting a picture but I'll just put it behind this link so you can choose to avoid it if you wish: CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK
Why did you add this link??!!

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
776 Posts
Go sit in a dark quiet place. Calm yourself. Repeat “she’s on 35’s“ 70 times slowly, while taking deep breaths and rocking back and forth.
Once you’ve finished grab a beer and head outside. Go over to your rig.

35’s

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'll be the antagonist, lol. This reminds me of my first X, stock suspension, procomp 7089's but went with 265's when I really wanted 285's. I regretted it from the day the new wheels/tires were installed. Yes, I was not limited on where I wanted to go. The only thing that affected me wheeling wise was that it didn't have a locker. Truth be told, stock suspension, some aggressive tires and a rear locker and you'll be fine unless you're tackling the Rubicon.

But......it was that look over the shoulder after parking it and walking away that always left me wanting bigger tires. And yes, it's a disease.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Your truck looks great as is and will go anywhere reasonable as is. I wouldn't lift it anymore. It becomes like your old Trooper when you start going above 33" tires. Required mods cascade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your truck looks great as is and will go anywhere reasonable as is. I wouldn't lift it anymore. It becomes like your old Trooper when you start going above 33" tires. Required mods cascade.
I hear ya. I'm not gonna go above 33's. However, a tad more lift in the front would make me happy. It sits a little lower than the rear and i feel like it needs a little more room for the tires. Wish there an easy way to gain about an inch. Not sure why the previous owner didn't go for the full 2" lift. Or maybe it is and I'm wanting the 2.5". My buddy has one and it looks perfect

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
825 Posts
What you've got there is likely a 2.5" dual aal in the rear
And probably a 2" spacer in front (1.25" thick block gives 2")
If you want to go more, you'll need to start spending, either on a titan swap, or if on the X arms, pricey aftermarket upper control arms (and probably lower control arms because the cam bolts are siezed).
The first 2" are not too bad, the next inch or 2 is $$$
If you just want another inch or 2, a body lift is not that expensive, just a PITA to install.

But as I say this, I have a growing list of lift components collecting in the garage to take mine to the next level, so who am I to stop anybody... LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a disease.... that you never outgrow. 61yrs old here.
Ha! Awesome!!
What you've got there is likely a 2.5" dual aal in the rear
And probably a 2" spacer in front (1.25" thick block gives 2")
If you want to go more, you'll need to start spending, either on a titan swap, or if on the X arms, pricey aftermarket upper control arms (and probably lower control arms because the cam bolts are siezed).
The first 2" are not too bad, the next inch or 2 is $$$
If you just want another inch or 2, a body lift is not that expensive, just a PITA to install.

But as I say this, I have a growing list of lift components collecting in the garage to take mine to the next level, so who am I to stop anybody... LOL
I think you've got it nailed. I measured the spacer and I figured just over an inch. And those springs look to be the same. Thanks for the knowledge. Guess that means it's staying where it is (for now). As far as the parts go in the garage, I dont know what to tell you. I still have parts from my last build a decade ago 🤪

·
Registered
95 Posts
My roommate's X is stock and on 33's. My X has a 1.5" lift and is on 33's. My partner's Jeep Renegade is stock and on 31's. There's nothing I can do that they can't follow along. Maybe they need to take a slightly different approach, but they've never not been able to keep up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So here's what you do:

Separate the body and frame.

Cut all of the stock suspension mounting points off.

Go get yourself a donor 3/4 ton suburban with the Corporate 14 axles.

Fab up some mounting tabs for an SAS.

Throw the Corporate 14's on there with some nice, heavy duty leaf springs and shocks.

Have custom driveshafts made and throw those in.

Reinstall the body.

Throw some 37's on there just for good measure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So here's what you do:

Separate the body and frame.

Cut all of the stock suspension mounting points off.

Go get yourself a donor 3/4 ton suburban with the Corporate 14 axles.

Fab up some mounting tabs for an SAS.

Throw the Corporate 14's on there with some nice, heavy duty leaf springs and shocks.

Have custom driveshafts made and throw those in.

Reinstall the body.

Throw some 37's on there just for good measure.
Only 3 times. I've also only owned 3 vehicles 🧐

·
Registered
258 Posts
Only 3 times. I've also only owned 3 vehicles 🧐
Well there you go. Time to do it again.

Or don't. 90% of the PNW can be run in an Xterra with a mild lift and 33's. The most you'd need is a Titan Swapped front end and some leafpacks and shackles to match.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts