Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I mentioned in another thread I had to get front tires and a serious alignment done yesterday. Here's how bad the front was. The left was worse then the right.

Left
0.41 degrees toe Specified Range: 0.08-0.16 degrees

Right
0.35 degrees toe. Specified Range: 0.08-0.16 degrees

Total toe: 0.76 degrees. Specified Range: 0.17-0.32 degrees.

My camber and caster were off a little bit but the main thing was I was toed in big time! Don't ever let your rig get that bad. I'll get back to firestone and get the lifetime warranty soon.

·
on line
114 Posts
I just installed my Daystar lift with Total Chaos UCA's. The toe is probably off but not particularily noticable during standard driving. The camber is definitely more positive than it should be though. Can feel the roughness coming from the lugs on the shoulder of my OEM Rugged Trails. Oh, and the squealing around corners at low speeds is also nice (that's probably the toe). Nonetheless, I'm getting it aligned tomorrow. For some reason my 06 Xterra did not come with indexing bolts so when I was doing my lift I replaced them with the Nissan alignment bolts that are suggested in the TSB. So, with the added Caster provided by the TC UCA and the alignment bolts, I'm hoping I can get dialed in within factory specs (cuz it definitely needs correction).

Oh, and I got 2.25" of lift in the front and 1.625" in the back. Final height from ground to fender well in front 36.5" and rear 37".

·
Read Only
656 Posts
2006x said:
For some reason my 06 Xterra did not come with indexing bolts so when I was doing my lift I replaced them with the Nissan alignment bolts that are suggested in the TSB.
Did any of the 06's come w/ the indexing bolts? If not, will the dealer replace them for free? If not, how difficult are they to replace, or are you better off buying them (I think Calmini sells them) and have Firestone install them when you go for a lifetime alignment?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
F'ing B.S. man... My dealership wants me to have them do my alignment in order to assess whether or not I get indexing bolts. I explained that there was no way I was going to do that. I got the part #, walked over to the parts dept and had them look it up. $20.00 man... that's ridiculous. Good thing the desk-girl was hot or I might have freaked out.

Also, Nissan, or at least my dealership doesn't call them "indexing bolts" so it took a while to find them.

Too add to this, Firestone, or at least the San Diego locations, sells their Lifetime Alignment for $170, not $99. The manager said he'd never even heard of such a deal... oh well.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
syndicate said:
Too add to this, Firestone, or at least the San Diego locations, sells their Lifetime Alignment for $170, not $99. The manager said he'd never even heard of such a deal... oh well.
As far as I know I was the first on this board to use the Firestone Lifetime warranty and it cost me $150 +tax. MC was the second that I know of and he got his a few weeks later and got it for $99 from some sale they were having.

·
on line
114 Posts
I believe after a certain date, the 05's and up stopped getting these bolts as Nissan supposedly determined they were not necessary.

Anyways, they're easy to install. I put my X up on stands, removed the struts, used the jack that came with the vehicle to support the lower control arm, and pulled out and replaced each of the 4 bolts one by one. Doing it one by one, makes it easier to keep the holes in the lower control arm lined up with the bracket it bolts to.

I didn't know how to set the camber but if you had the time I suppose you could reassemble everything, put the vehicle back on the ground, take some angle measurements off the face of the front wheels, and adjust the indexing bolts clockwise or counter clockwise a 1-2 notches. OR just go get an alignment...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Update:

Earlier, right after finding out about the price, I had to do something quickly for work. When I returned, the tech had explained more to the parts desk people. I bribed him to glance and
confirm that I needed bolts. The tech told me I needed 4 "bolts" and 4 "washers". You also need a nut for each Transverse Pin, which costs like $2 a piece.

Also, the bolt is called a "Transverse-Pin", and the special washer required is called an "Eccentric-Disc". You guys keep referring to it as an "indexing bolt", but Nissan will have no idea what
those words mean unless you spend 10min describing its function to an actual tech.

I went to the cash register to pay and they turned out to be $20 per bolt and like $15 per special washer. Do the math. I got him to give me 70% off because my step-mother works at
Nissan Design, but still, ~$55.00 on something Nissan should have included in the vehicle. Lame.

Here are the part numbers:
Transverse Pin: 54580-7S000
Eccentric Disc: 54559-1Z600
Nut: 08918-6441A

I say again, you need 4 of everything.

Transverse Pin and Eccentric Disc in Packaging:

Head of Transverse Pin:

Stalk of Transverse Pin:

Eccentric Disc:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts