Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/gals, I've had this problem for a few months now, but my inspection is up at the end of the month and I cant put off getting it fixed any longer.

I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to bring it in on Monday, but I got a bad impression from the guy... he made some remark like, "well you know it may not be under warranty" but he said it in a way like 'this WONT be under warranty'.

So your my last hope, any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Heres the issue:
My taillights don't work (brake lights do work).
My amber parking lights don't work (the amber lights in the headlight assembly).
The lights on my HVAC controls, and radio don't work.

More info:
I had the foglight mod but I don't really think it had anything to do with it. I did indeed blow my foglight fuse when I had the foglight mod, but I removed the foglight mod, and a day later I blew a headlight fuse. I do not remember exactly when my lights stopped working, but it was at this same time.
BTW- The foglight mod had worked flawlessly for several months before this happened.

As far as them denying my warrenty, I have the locker mod, a power inverter, grounding kit, and accessory foglights. The locker mod is the only thing that using stock wiring though, so that is really the only thing they could argue.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is definitely not any fuse under the hood or in the glove-box area. I have not checked the relays under the hood, but it does not sound like a relay problem. (Not trying to make myself sound smart, but I am pretty electrically/mechanically inclined, I am a technology teacher, so I do know a decent amount about electronics). So I do not think it is anything basic, I believe a control module of some sort went bad. Has anyone else ran into a similar problem?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out the FSM, it looks like all the things that have problems tie into the tail lamp relay, so I pulled that and tested it, and it is functioning, so I think it may be the Unified Meter Control Unit, as that seems like it is the only thing between the relay and other systems that are functioning properly. The only problem is that I don't know where it is located on the truck, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to test it. If all else fails, at least I'll be able to get the Nissan Tech on the right track.

·
on line
551 Posts
Interestingly someone had the same problem at XOC and it turned out to be the taillight fuse.
The Unified Meter Control Unit is built into the Combination Meter (see DI 4 of the 06 FSM)

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I figured I would post up my results in case anyone ever experiences a similar problem.

Here is the saga:
I dropped my truck off at the dealer last Monday, they took a look at it and said that Nissan's policy is that in order to troubleshoot, everything electrical must be put back to stock. Myself and the service guy both agreed that my mods shouldn't have anything to do with the problem, so he tried to get approval to go ahead with the troubleshooting. Well, it took until Wed. to get a response, and it was a big NO, so I took it home and put everything electrical back to stock (took me 4.5hrs, but I didn't mind since I wanted to re-do a couple things anyway). Normally I would be kind of pissed that I had to do this, but if a wire I had added would have rubbed through and shorted or something it could reek havoc while troubleshooting, so I felt this was a reasonable request from Nissan.
Anyway, I dropped my car back off this past Monday, and they determined that the IDPM was bad. They needed to order one and would have it on Wednesday (today). So today I got a call saying that they got the IPDM replaced and now everything works great.

SOO....
Here is the diagnosis:
"Performed testing using Consult and flow chart. Repaired short to ground at pin 28 in IPDM and replaced failed IPDM, rechecked, OK."

If anyone has this problem, I would tell Nissan to check this first!

All of this work was done at Lancaster Nissan, in Lancaster, PA and I must say it was my best dealer experience ever! I origonally worked with Greg, who was great, and clearly respected me for my knowledge on the subject and about the truck and did all he could to help me out. When I brought the truck in the second time, I dealt with Bob. I did not have a lot of interaction with him, but he also seemed extremely nice, and got my truck fixed right away with no BS.

Everything was covered under warranty, and I have no complaints, Lancaster Nissan's service department comes HIGHLY recommended!

·
on line
551 Posts
Good to hear you got it worked out.
Those electrical problems can be a bugger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts