Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When you get a alignment done, are you telling them to align it as a titan or xterra.

been trouble shooting a hard failure Vdc problem for A long while now. Nisssan consult III shuts down when connected to my Xterra. I replaced my clock spring/steering angle position sensor still no prevail, abs sensors, trouble shot the ipdm, and cried twice. No three times actually.

after my small accident, I rebuilt the front end and did the alignment myself. Never liked the stance/caster the shops would leave me with. I remember when I first lifted the x in 2012, my first set of 33s went bald on the outside tread because firestone is strictly a computer alignment. They don’t have techs that actually can make manual adjustment. They fiddle with the camber bolts until they see green oem spec.

needless to say, it drives straight, doesn’t pull, doesn’t fight, but when one of the shops put it up to recalibrate the steering sensor they said the alignment numbers where way out of spec and couldn’t access anything. Like Nissan said.

has me thinking maybe they are correct, even though it drives fine and true...That would choke the VDC system up to all hell because after all it is coded for xterra parameters. Not what works manually?

man if that is my problem, then I give up on life. A truck that drives and handles great, has 33s and cruses without needing constant correction, but the alignment is off the charts bad and the vdc, cam network. Effin everything ain’t buying it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Computers, they can be a blessing at times and a curse at others.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
An alignment is an alignment, you need to go elsewhere. The vehicle input into the computer only provides OE specs, to get the alignment green, a good tech won't just rely on just what the computer tells them and they'll work with every adjustment available to them. It sounds like the techs at Firestone are being lazy. Heck, the shop I normally went to in Cali always did every measurement by hand and my truck always felt the best after his alignments.

Oh, and whenever I've gone somewhere with a computer, they use the Xterra parameters.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An alignment is an alignment, you need to go elsewhere. The vehicle input into the computer only provides OE specs, to get the alignment green, a good tech won't just rely on just what the computer tells them and they'll work with every adjustment available to them. It sounds like the techs at Firestone are being lazy. Heck, the shop I normally went to in Cali always did every measurement by hand and my truck always felt the best after his alignments.

Oh, and whenever I've gone somewhere with a computer, they use the Xterra parameters.
are you Titan swapped?

·
TNX Veteran
4,036 Posts
Being T swapped has nothing to do with it. It's either in spec or it's not. I am T swapped, never had any issues. Some places are better than others. Spec is spec. If you're running stock Titan UCA's, I can see that possibly causing an issue due to the lack of adjustment. If you're having VDC issues your problem lies elsewhere, unless the alignment is so bad that the sensors can't relearn.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being T swapped has nothing to do with it. It's either in spec or it's not. I am T swapped, never had any issues. Some places are better than others. Spec is spec. If you're running stock Titan UCA's, I can see that possibly causing an issue due to the lack of adjustment. If you're having VDC issues your problem lies elsewhere, unless the alignment is so bad that the sensors can't relearn.
I don’t really know how the laser alignment machines work. In my mind I figure they have a general oem database which they tech then works off of making their adjustment within the green spec.

my logic of thinking is if the machineS use a oem data base then after widening the stance and changing the control arms out would completely alter the oem spec the machine is directing the technicians to align too.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
are you Titan swapped?
Yes, I've done my own alignment, I've also had it done at small shops, as well as at large shops.

I don’t really know how the laser alignment machines work. In my mind I figure they have a general oem database which they tech then works off of making their adjustment within the green spec.

my logic of thinking is if the machineS use a oem data base then after widening the stance and changing the control arms out would completely alter the oem spec the machine is directing the technicians to align too.
The sensors only tell the machine what the angles are, doesn't matter the width. Most machines will read and show the specs, regardless if whether or not the tech puts in vehicle parameters. Don't over think things, the computer just reads the measurements sent back by the sensors, and then the tech chooses the vehicle they want to set the alignment specs to.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
What is the VDC issue? Which lights are on? I driveway align mine since I have always had problems with techs aligning the X and the driveway alignment always seem better than what they come up with. I just assume it is a lifted truck problem.

·
TNX Veteran
3,700 Posts
I tell usually tell them "align to spec but set my caster at 3.5-4" (I think top spec is like 2.8) because I like that a little higher. Any tech worth their money should be able to do this no problem, especially with adjustable UCAs and cam bolts. I am T-swapped. Xterra vs. Titan spec is probably near identical TBH so that part shouldn't matter. I've had success with 3 different locations, so if you are having problems, go to another shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts