Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished my Titan swap (actually 2 weeks ago, was too lazy to post). It was fairly easy and straight forward. One bad thing was the LCAs were a bitch to remove... Had to cut them off with a Sawzall. Now.... how about some pics!!

Oh look... stock suspension:

Yay... SS brake lines:

Out you go tie rod:

Had to cut a bolt on the driver's side UCA... but that was easy with a Sawzall... bye bye stock UCA:

Hello Titan UCA:

Had a little trouble with the LCA... seized bolts... So cut them with a Sawzall, then cut off the bolts (this was a bitch... took hours... HOURS!!). Had to cut 3 out of 4 bolts. Also the LCA didn't wanna come off the spindle, so had to remove the spindle, lay it on the ground, and smacked the **** out of it with a BFH!!! worked like a charm.

Oh sexy beast... M205!!

M205 in, tie rod extensions on, Titan CV half shafts on... starting to look good.

Now getting the LCA and the half shaft onto the spindle was tricky as hell... easiest way IMO, was to remove the UCA from the spindle, install the LCA to the spindle then maneuver the spindle to align the half shaft, then lift it up to attach the UCA to the spindle.... voila!! easy peasy...

Here's how much the wheels stick out:

And yes... those are stock coilovers with spacers. I just got my 2.5 Radflos this week, so I'll be installing them tomorrow. And if my 2" wheel spacers come in today, they will be going on as well. I also had to put my stock bumpstops back in, the PRG ones didn't fit the holes. So, I'll either have to drill the holes larger to fit the PRG or just get some Timbrens.

Oh btw... No sway bars and stock coilovers with TSwap.... I feel like I'm driving a boat... rockin n rollin all over the place.

I haven't really got a chance to check the clearances yet. I have stock Off Road tires/wheels with a 2" lift, and I don't rub anything with daily driving use. I'll have to check with the full up/down travel to see if anything rubs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you use aftermarket Titan axles or go with OEM?
"Cardone" bind at full droop on my rig.
That's why I have limit straps. I'm going to OEM for Xmas....
yea, mine are Cardone as well. I won't be doing any offroading until next summer, but I guess I should invest in limiting straps. Where did you get yours? and what length? I'm not too familiar with limiting straps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be swapping to PRG UCAs later. So I'll just wait on the limit straps until afterward.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Looks great, I did mine this past weekend. My LCAs came right off, but I did have problems removing the LCAs from the Spindle had to use a blow torch and BFH as well. How big are your spacers for your coils, and did they cause and coil bucket contact? Did you get an alignment afterwards?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those are the 2" lift spacers from PRG, so the actual spacer size is about 1". Not sure about coil bucket contact... I'll check on that tonight when I install my Radflos. I'll get my alignment done after I get everything installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I had no coil bucket contact.

There's a dent on the coil bucket in the picture above. That's from before the TSwap, stock, with PRG spacers.

Those are with the stock coilovers and PRG 2" lift spacers.

I just installed 2.5 Extended Radflos. I wanted to use the spacers on top of the coilovers, but couldn't fit a socket with the supplied nuts. So I ended up just preloading what I thought would have been a 2" lift. I figured if the amount of threads showing on the coilovers were the same size as the PRG spacers, then the lift would be the same. What I actually ended up with was about a 3.25" lift. But this kinda ended up being perfect. I now have no rake, and all four fender heights are 37.75". TS/Rads up front and PRG adjustable shackles in the rear.

I started using the spanner wrench to adjust the preload, but it didn't work too well. Kept stripping... got tired of using a cheater pipe.... so idea..! I used a pipe wrench. So much easier, but it just left some marks... oh well.

I still need to check the up/down travel to see if it's too much preload. If so, then I'll have to get some nuts that will fit the socket to use the spacer with a minor preload. With 600# spring, I figured to be a little stiff with no armor, but the ride was relatively smooth... speed bumps, train tracks, etc... no problem. Also having no sway bars, it doesn't feel like a boat rocking in the ocean anymore.

I still will need to get an alignment. But there is one thing bugging me right now. There is a thumping sound coming from the rear, sorta on the right side. It seems to go with the drive speed. It doesn't matter if I'm in 2 or 4 wheel drive or being in gear or not. It just happens when I'm moving. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Does it sound like its a rotating noise? Like if the wheels rotate it clicks? Have you installed the rear spacers? I have lug adapters/spacers and there's a clicking noise. Not sure if its from them but it wasn't a problem before I had them on there.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Also double check your lugs ... if they're loose (or worse bottomed out on the spacer studs before being tight on the wheels), then a wheel could be loose and clunking around. Probably just a good idea to double check any places you made changes, after having driven around a bit, just to tighten up anything that didn't initially stay put.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This happened right after the titan swap. Before I installed the spacers. So the rear wheels were never removed when I started to hear the sound. It's not a clicking sound, or clanging, or any metal sound. It sounds like when you take your fingers and lightly tap on a wooden desk.... a very dull knocking sound. And it's very quiet. I can only hear it with the windows down at night when there's no outside noise. Sometimes the engine sound over powers the thumping sound.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok... alignment done!!! and fixed the thumping/tapping sound... it was actually my ss brake lines hitting my wheels. the thumping was probably from the balancing weight on the inside of the wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts