Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - a topic beaten to death.

Are there any opinions regarding Castrol Syntec? How does it compare to Amsoil or Mobil1?

I am already a believer in synthetics - I currently use Amsoil and I am asking because Castrol is a fair bit cheaper (almost a third cheaper).

·
on line
14,014 Posts
After talking personally to an AMS Oil rep, he said that Castrol is the bottom of the line stuff and no better than regular. The only thing other than AMS that he would recommend was Mobil-1 (which I've been running for 9k+ miles). Plenty of pull for AMS around these parts, though. Think I'll switch to AMS come next oil change.

·
on line
735 Posts
Mobil 1 is highly regarded (or used to be). I don't know if they still use 100 percent synthetic base stock anymore or not, but what I do know is that you can find it anywhere (incl. walmart). I'm not interested in mail order lube unless I have a motor making 3 hp per cubic inch or something exotic.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Since where on the oil topic...what kind of oil should I use in my diff's and TC? I have already switched to mobile 1 motor oil so I would like to make the switch on those two also.

·
on line
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - that's all i needed to hear.
I have my own Amsoil distributor already so its no big deal. i was just seeing if i could save some $$$ for other toys (ie. shrocks).

·
on line
139 Posts
Just to mix it up a bit -- but not create too much controversy -- I've been hearing lately that conventional oils are getting to be just as good as synthetic and in many cases there isn't much difference anymore. The argument FOR conventionals is that the quality is improving and the standards bar has been raised (notice recently how some "SL" rated oils have become "SM"?).

Any thoughts? I've read a number of oil web sites in the past and there's a wide variety of independently tested results on different products, but I haven't seen anything recent. The small details of the petroleum industry are constantly evolving and I sometimes question whether or not the realities *could* be different from the trends...

D-Rock

·
on line
149 Posts
I have a question.....why is it still recommended to change your oil every 3,000mi? How long has that been around? You'd think with all of the improvements to car/truck engines and probably oil this suggested limit would have been raised by now. I don't think I have ever changed my oil at a 3,000mi mark on any of my vehicles.

·
on line
279 Posts
Royal Purple makes a pretty convincing argument on their site for their synthetic products, down to microscopic photographs, article references, and plenty of hard data. I doubt it gets better than that stuff. You can also buy it all over the place off the shelf. www.royalpurple.com

And it is true that conventional oils are simply damn good these days. The things to remember are that synthetic esther base molecules are 'perfect', whereas conventional hydrocarbon base molecules are less consistent and some break down quicker than others. Also, synthesized esters do not require large amounts of long-chain polymers to control viscosity properties the way conventional hydrocarbons do.

Does it really matter in our application? I dunno. I just like the extended drain intervals that synthetics provide before breakdown, that makes their cost break even with conventionals in the end and requires less work for me!

·
on line
246 Posts
miles said:
Since where on the oil topic...what kind of oil should I use in my diff's and TC? I have already switched to mobile 1 motor oil so I would like to make the switch on those two also.
well since you are OR same as my nismo----you need 75-140synthetic in your rear and the shit from nissan is 17$ a quart and you need 2.1 qts. frontdiff- 80-90 just under 2qts i think cant remember exact no. tcase merconIII------mine is 6spd so my tranny takes 75-90synthetic to. cant remember capacities but nissan parts at dealer should give you a print out like they gave me with the breakdown. gotta love nissan only wanting syn in rear and tranny..........................

·
on line
246 Posts
Karpediem said:
I have a question.....why is it still recommended to change your oil every 3,000mi? How long has that been around? You'd think with all of the improvements to car/truck engines and probably oil this suggested limit would have been raised by now. I don't think I have ever changed my oil at a 3,000mi mark on any of my vehicles.
ive always changed my oil at every 3k with every car ive had------especially living in the dusty desert and wheeling alot. but i run syn now and change every 5K.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
well, i just switched from 10w-30 castrol dealer dino oil to 5w-30 mobile 1 extended synthetic and i must say, she runs smoother and quieter. no more ticking in the drivethrough. I plan on changing it out in like 7k miles, figure the filter and oil is advertised out to 15k BUT i want to keep my warranty and don't want a hassle from nissan if something were to go pop.

mobile 1 seems to work great in my truck...

·
on line
3,050 Posts
toyniss said:
miles said:
well since you are OR same as my nismo----you need 75-140synthetic in your rear and the **** from nissan is 17$ a quart and you need 2.1 qts. frontdiff- 80-90 just under 2qts i think cant remember exact no. tcase merconIII------mine is 6spd so my tranny takes 75-90synthetic to. cant remember capacities but nissan parts at dealer should give you a print out like they gave me with the breakdown. gotta love nissan only wanting syn in rear and tranny..........................
thanks for that info

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I have had my Amsoil in (2nd batch) for over 15K now, I'd go maybe 8 or 9 with Mobile one but no more than 6 with the Castrol. And, Amsoil is only one with a warranty, so what does that say? I'm a dealer, I hate the fact you have to order it, but in over 15K I have not burned a drop, thats Moab, all summer and up to Now. Plus, you can add anything to it (Same Viscosity) if ya have to, but I just carry an extra QT and use it on next fill as I never have to add to it with no burn no leaks. If you can't do Amsoil, I know as far as the tests Amsoil's independent labs do, Mobil one normally comes in closest to Amsoil in OTC lubricants if not All. But from a dollar standpoint, your best bet is still Amsoil if you can run it like they suggest, I do in my X but not in my wifes car, so in her car I use Mobile one and double the normal service, ie, 6K miles instead of 3K. I bet it can go more but no warranty, so no chance taking for me.

·
on line
279 Posts
So, what about the bastard child Royal Purple? Their test data shows an outstanding product, but Amsoil doesn't test against them - at least according to the results you can find on the Amsoil site.

·
on line
239 Posts
I went with almost everything Amsoil - transfer case, both diffs, and engine oil. Don't need to worry about changing the TC of diffs for a long time now. I change the engine oil twice a year which works out to about every 12K with the mileage we've been putting on. I'll be sending the oil in for a test when I drain it in December. I'll post up the results.

I've done a lot of reading on different brands. To say that one is far superior than the others is hard to prove with all the variations there can be in different vehicles, applications, and testing methods. I believe that if you go with any of the major brands, you're in good shape.

I think the only places pushing 3 months / 3K now are the oil change places. The owners manual for most newer vehicles specify at least twice that. Or on some vehicles, they tell you to wait until the oil change light comes on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts