Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the MTX oil and am considering going with synthetic. Any suggestions about weight and type?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
This is for the 6-speed manual transmission I presume. I think that is the only use of MTX oil.

After reading a lot of threads on this, lots of weird shifting problems with aftermarket oils. Often simply fixed by putting Nissan oil back in it. The 6-speed is touchy about what oil it has in it. At this point I have changed everything over to synthetic except the transmission. That I change with Nissan manual transmission fluid. It is the only oil that I won't change over to synthetic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is for the 6-speed manual transmission I presume. I think that is the only use of MTX oil.

After reading a lot of threads on this, lots of weird shifting problems with aftermarket oils. Often simply fixed by putting Nissan oil back in it. The 6-speed is touchy about what oil it has in it. At this point I have changed everything over to synthetic except the transmission. That I change with Nissan manual transmission fluid. It is the only oil that I won't change over to synthetic.

I have had the same experience with aftermarket oils for the 6 speed, I tried Amsoil, redline, and one other but I cant remember the name. All made the shifts feel 'notchy'

Nissan manual transmission fluid def works best in my experience and is the smoothest, I also believe it is synthetic but I could be mistaken

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Nissan's is synthetic. However, I Have been using Redline MT-90 for the last 80,000 km with great results. When I first bought the X, it had a bit of a "crunch" going into 5th. That's pretty much gone now, and at 200,000km total, it shifts and feels great. I highly recommend it. I'll be doing a change again soon, and using the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts