Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the club have an SWR meter we can use for the next mod day?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just revive this one. I installed my CB radio and need to tune it. Does anyone have a SWR meter that I could borrow (I would pay shipping) or can you reccomend a decent one to get that wouldn't break the bank?

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just revive this one. I installed my CB radio and need to tune it. Does anyone have a SWR meter that I could borrow (I would pay shipping) or can you reccomend a decent one to get that wouldn't break the bank?
You're in MO and asking people from CO if they have a meter you can borrow? A new thread could possible be a good idea, granted they are only 700 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
4,360 Posts
. . . Does anyone have a SWR meter that I could borrow (I would pay shipping) or can you recommend a decent one to get that wouldn't break the bank?
You can buy a SWR meter for what it would cost to ship a borrowed one both ways.

I suggest three options:

1. If you need a meter right away, go to the closest large truck stop and buy one. It should cost less than $25. Astatic is an OK brand. Workman is lower end stuff but will work for occasional use.

or

2. Find the closest brick and morter CB shop (getting rare, but often located at or near major truck stops) and pay them to tune your antenna instead of spending money purchasing a meter.

or

3. Buy the meter from Amazon that JSexton linked. [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ULN610/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20.] I purchased the same meter two years ago along with several other items so shipping was free. $16.94 is a good price. Be sure to buy the 3' jumper cable to go with it for an additional $6.99. Your meter will be useless without it.

This site has clear instructions for tuning your antenna and a video: CB Antenna Tuning Instructions | Right Channel Radios

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can buy a SWR meter for what it would cost to ship a borrowed one both ways.

I suggest three options:

1. If you need a meter right away, go to the closest large truck stop and buy one. It should cost less than $25. Astatic is an OK brand. Workman is lower end stuff but will work for occasional use.

or

2. Find the closest brick and morter CB shop (getting rare, but often located at or near major truck stops) and pay them to tune your antenna instead of spending money purchasing a meter.

or

3. Buy the meter from Amazon that JSexton linked. [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ULN610/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20.] I purchased the same meter two years ago along with several other items so shipping was free. $16.94 is a good price. Be sure to buy the 3' jumper cable to go with it for an additional $6.99. Your meter will be useless without it.

This site has clear instructions for tuning your antenna and a video: CB Antenna Tuning Instructions | Right Channel Radios
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll look around for a CB shop, and if I can't find one, I'll order the one jsexton linked.

·
Super Moderator
4,360 Posts
. . . I'll look around for a CB shop. . . .
Google search for "CB Shop Joplin MO:"

Western Communications Service Inc
219 West 14th St
Joplin, MO 64801
Phone: (417) 624-6066

The Yelp comments for the Petro truck stop in Joplin reference a CB repair/installation guy named Andy Taylor, who uses the handle "Hillbilly," who parks his van or an old Checker cab next to the Flying J/Blue Beacon truck wash at Exit 11 on weekdays, 417 316 1211. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tempolarolls?fref=ufi&rc=p

The same Yelp comments also reference a CB shop at the truck chrome shop across from the street from the Petro truck stop.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts