Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
50K on my OEM BFG Rugged Trails. Time for new shoes. Have read tons of threads on here, studied the surveys/reviews on Tire Rack. However....

Have one set of perspectives I haven't been able to glean that I'm hoping you can help with. I'm looking to hear from Xterra owners that have run Rugged Trails and have switched to another tire, but not an AT or MT tire. Rugged Trails are considered highway all season. Most of the input on NewX has been on AT's.

Specifically on four comparative aspects: How did the new tires compare to the Rugged Trails in terms of:
1) Road Noise
2) Treadwear
3) MPG
4) Wet and Snow conditions

For the record, the Rugged Trails have been good to me. No road noise I can deduce, decent treadwear, 18MPG average, pretty good in snow until about 35/40K. I drive mainly on-road, with occasional dirt/gravel (and beach when we go to OBX) hence not looking for an AT tire. I'd be inclined to go for another set and I also like their semi-aggressive look. But....

Judging from the Tire Rack survey rankings, seems like I could do better with Firestone Destination LE2, General Grabber HTS, or Yoko Geolandar. The Tire Rack reviews on the other hand, paint some conflicting input: Bad in snow (Yokos), noisy/bad treadwear (Grabbers).

Any input from your experience to help me in my decision is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Kelly Safari ATR may be a good choice for you as well, they seem to get positive reviews. I have never run them, but do have the Safari TSR which is an MT hybrid, I would buy them again, perform awesome and are wearing very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think this is a great post, as in you want a tire that works wonderfully in 99.8% of your driving but can still handle the 0.2%! I am in the same boat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been running Grabbers on my XTerra for two years with no issues, and on my F-150 before that. They were tricky to balance but I like them. Great in the snow, solid off-road and no complaints on the highway. Sorry my Grabbers are AT2.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
While technically an A/T, I'd look at the Revo2. Those are fantastic on road, great in the snow, and will still be halfway decent off the pavement. They are expensive, but would fit the bill perfectly and they last a long time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts