Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding OME/ARB leafs and I have seen some suggest to just outright remove rear sway bar and other relocate. Would love some advice here. Pros and cons to removal? Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Trash it. You won't notice it gone, especially with new leafs. I tossed mine 6 years ago and have had no problems. I drive up and down mountain roads all winter and have never felt tippy. Now the front sway bar is different. I'll keep that one on until this vehicle is no longer my DD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check your brake lines during the install. You can always do the brake line mod to get some more slack in them.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving, some of it towing. I don't wheel to the extreme, rarely am I ever flexed out enough to lift a tire (one every few years). I keep mine. A lot of people delete it in the name of off-road performance. If maximum off-road performance is your goal, remove it. But as off-road performance gets better, on-road performance suffers. It is a balancing act and some people only care about pushing the balance toward the off-road side as far as possible. On-road you are likely to not notice it if is there or not in daily driving. But when that old lady pulls out in front of you on the highway and you have to do an evasive maneuver, or you are towing a good sized trailer, it is a good thing to have. Even with the bar in place it doesn't hurt off-road use much at all. You can still flex it out pretty good in place, you can get a little more rear flex without it. Do you really need more rear flex?

The Frontier doesn't have on, but it is a longer wheelbase and doesn't have all the mass of the roof and glass over the rear. Look at any camper special package on a big truck and to counter the extra mass high and at the back of a vehicle you will find a rear sway bar. When Hellwig built up the off-road Titan with a camper in the bed, as they lifted it and did all the other trick suspension parts they also put a LARGER rear sway bar on. People that engineer suspension for a living did this instead of removing it.

So how do YOU (not some other person on the internet) plan to use the Xterra? Do you thinkg the "I took it off and never looked back" people have more knowledge than the factory engineers that designed it and speced it for the Xterra when the twin of a Frontier doesn't get one. They cost money, its there for a reason. If it wasn't serving a purpose Nissan would have left it off and saved the money to start with.

Reactions: pso

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I built a custom relocate bracket that moves it one inch back and three up, I'm lifted higher than most people and it does make a difference in stability.

·
Registered
935 Posts
MIne's a daily driver. I removed the rear sway bar several years ago, never noticed any difference in my normal driving. I suppose it would behave differently in a high speed maneuver on the highway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I removed my rear sway bar for more flex off-road and have only noticed a slight difference on road in a sudden evasive maneuver. I did however do a 2" AAL in the rear and went to bilstein 5100 all around with the fronts set to 1.5 on stock springs all at the same time. As with any other suspension mod it will change the vehicle handling to some extent.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You have the same setup I have, mdm. 2" AAL and 5100s at all four corners with stock springs in the front. I've set the 5100 seats in the front at .5" of lift though. I kinda like the rake and it will settle to less rake over time as the AALs start to sag. But I did run without the rear anti-sway bar for a couple years on completely stock suspension, still nothing that I could put my finger on that was different.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I snapped my rear sway bar in half, so I know there can be some serious forces applied to it even if people aren't noticing it in everyday driving. I don't know how it broke - maybe from articulation offroad, but I don't drive extreme trails. I installed a new one because I occasionally tow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It’s an unpopular opinion around here but I say relocate and keep. I’ve had mine off for a couple months since I put new heavier springs on and I noticed the difference immediately despite the stiffer equipment. I am not enjoying it or getting used to it. I’m going to put it back on. Around town it seems like just a little bit of a soft roll but at highway speed combined with the lift it feels like you get stuck in a corner. I was in a gentle curve next to a big rig who decided he didn’t really need to keep his lane outside of me. While I was trying to figure out compensation for the new handling the semi slid about four feet closer while I was sliding out and I didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t get away. Felt like my tires were under inflated. I wheel but I don’t think I’ve come close to lifting a wheel yet. And if I get to that point the sway bar takes just a few minutes to zap off and on.

But you could try it, you might like it. And like I said it is not hard to reverse.

·
on line
200 Posts
i left mine off after installing OME plus PRG adj shackle.... i'm at around 3.5" lift.
since then i've notice no difference at all at street speeds.

freeway speeds 65mph and over and i hit a little divet... it kinda sways (jumps LtoR) not too crazy

but... at 75 hitting multiple divets in the road (messy roads imo but non the less) i had several oh shit moments as i had to hit the brakes to slow down after hitting said divets (pot holes)... i believe said holes are caused by rain.

i know the stiffer leaf springs (not the HD) attribute to this but when i had the oh shit moment i was hauling gear for hiking havasupai falls ( 2 people 1 week of supplies ea.)

so my 2 cents is not an answer but an experience and i'm going to spend the 30 bucks to relocate mine and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i left mine off after installing OME plus PRG adj shackle.... i'm at around 3.5" lift.
since then i've notice no difference at all at street speeds.

freeway speeds 65mph and over and i hit a little divet... it kinda sways (jumps LtoR) not too crazy

but... at 75 hitting multiple divets in the road (messy roads imo but non the less) i had several oh shit moments as i had to hit the brakes to slow down after hitting said divets (pot holes)... i believe said holes are caused by rain.

i know the stiffer leaf springs (not the HD) attribute to this but when i had the oh shit moment i was hauling gear for hiking havasupai falls ( 2 people 1 week of supplies ea.)

so my 2 cents is not an answer but an experience and i'm going to spend the 30 bucks to relocate mine and see if it makes a difference.
That’s exactly my height and setup and basically the same experience. I feel a little extra wag in the tail that suddenly becomes a white knuckle event. I’m not into driving 15 mph slower on I-15 than before so it’s going back on.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's barely noticeable, but be aware that the times you notice it missing are going to be the times that you wish you had it. I took it off when I added a lift (DAAL, radflos, etc.) at about 2". You feel a little more body roll with it gone, but it doesn't add as much as lifting it does. I put it back on when I was getting ready to move cross country loaded with a bike rack hanging off the back, and I've kept it on since then. Yes, you lose some articulation in the rear, but it is a pretty quick and easy job to remove it before you want to go wheeling. Only 6 bolts, takes a couple minutes with a ratchet or small impact.
It's your choice whether to keep it on or off, but the benefit of removing it is only when you are off road and need all the articulation you can get.

·
Registered
2011 XTerra S Metallic Green
26 Posts
I was watching some youtuber on a Jeep going to Montana mountains. He disconnects his sway bar for the off road but reconnects it back before hitting tarmac. Makes sense to me.

·
on line
205 Posts
I was watching some youtuber on a Jeep going to Montana mountains. He disconnects his sway bar for the off road but reconnects it back before hitting tarmac. Makes sense to me.
Yeah that's always an option, but did that Jeep have the electronic sway bar disconnects? I wish that was an option for us, at least in the front anyway.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It's a Jeep thing. Don't worry about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts