Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've noticed that there are modified off-road vehicles with' Quick-disconnect" bolts on the sway-bars.
I understand the concept, that the sway-bar will limit wheel travel BUT,
What a pain to crawl under everytime you want to go off-road and unbolt the sway-bar .
Anyone know about these " quick-disconnect bolts ?"
Thanks, Jim B

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have QD's on the front swayar of my Rubi. They are easy to get to, but if you are talking about rear swaybar, or even the front swaybar on the X, it would be a pain in the butt.

Take the rear off and leave the front on, you'll be fine.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Right you can take the rear off and leave it off. The front I would leave on unless you have the AC springs up front because they are so stiff. No one makes QD's for the X at this time. I tried to get AC to make them with no success though.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

So, you both think removing the rear sway bar is okay?

I understand it's a truck, not a sportscar, but you guys don't have any
" Issues " with the daily commute and no rear sway bar ?

Thanks, again,
Jim B

·
on line
3,217 Posts
No problems at all. I could come over to your house tonight and take it off and the next time that you drove it you wouldn't even notice it.

·
on line
279 Posts
Hey Dan, I haven't gotten around to taking my rear sway bar off yet. Could you sneak over and remove it?

·
on line
163 Posts
dan galusha said:
Right you can take the rear off and leave it off. The front I would leave on unless you have the AC springs up front because they are so stiff. No one makes QD's for the X at this time. I tried to get AC to make them with no success though.

Sorry to correct you, but I have Swaybar QR's.

AC Parts, www.4x4parts.com has them. They are about $100, You just have to call to order them.

You do have to drill out the bolt holes on the swaybar and mount on suspension to 1/2"... but they are almost a half inch now. I think stock hole size is 12mm, and since there are 25.4mm in 1", that means the hole needs to be 12.7mm... which is barely anything.

Just an FYI! I havne't installed mine yet because of my airbag problems and I'm waiting until I feel confident that my airbags won't go off again. :cherry:

·
on line
163 Posts
They're not on their website. You need to call them to order them, I'll take a photo of them when I get home tonight.

See I can tell a big difference without the swaybar. It is liveable without the rear swaybar, but I prefer how it drives with one, and didn't want to undo the bolts everytime. Especially since it is only $100.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I was trying to get them to come out with one shortly after their SL was released. The one guy that I talked to couldn't understand the reason that someone would want to have that function.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sway-bar quick disconnect

Hey ALL,,,
Thanks for the help.
I just got off the phone with 4x4,,,,a quick note,,,I had to emphasize 05,
as the telephone person was ready to ship 2000-2004.
and wasn't aware of the 05 model yet. It indeed is not in the catalog.

All of you people are cool !
Thanks, Jim B

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I mounted my sway bar on my garage wall. Looks good up there. Not sure if it will mount to my axle again as the mounts are looking abused.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
kokopop said:
I mounted my sway bar on my garage wall. Looks good up there. Not sure if it will mount to my axle again as the mounts are looking abused.
Yeah, I have actually been thinking of taking the torch to the mounts. I have also been trying to think of a better lower shock mount as my mounts are beat to hell.

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
kokopop said:
Yeah, I have actually been thinking of taking the torch to the mounts. I have also been trying to think of a better lower shock mount as my mounts are beat to hell.
Do they look like this?

I'be been thinkig about addapting one of this to my axle and torching the shock and sway bar mounts off:

Just haven't had the time to look for the right shock stud.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Spicoli said:
They're not on their website. You need to call them to order them, I'll take a photo of them when I get home tonight.

See I can tell a big difference without the swaybar. It is liveable without the rear swaybar, but I prefer how it drives with one, and didn't want to undo the bolts everytime. Especially since it is only $100.
So these QD's are for the REAR, correct? Are any made for the front as well?

·
on line
2,081 Posts
If you go with Timbren bumpstops to stop the bottoming out, the rear axel practically rests on them anyway. Hense I removed my rear sway bar and have absolutely no ill affects as the Timbrens are giving me the cornering stability at the rear.

·
on line
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sway bar quick disconnect

This would be to Muzikman and Offroad;

So, I got to thinking about those broken sway bar mounts and your pics.
Are there brackets out there to be re-welded ?
Or, Do you guys not care ?
I'm certain that the damage was not intentional.

JimB

·
on line
3,484 Posts
RiNkY said:
If you go with Timbren bumpstops to stop the bottoming out, the rear axel practically rests on them anyway. Hense I removed my rear sway bar and have absolutely no ill affects as the Timbrens are giving me the cornering stability at the rear.
I'll second that! Not even sure the Sway bar would do anything with the Timbrens on. I can take corners like a race car! Way faster than any other SUV outside maybe a Cadillac with Air in the rear. MC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts