Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
its just not worth it, most who remove the rear sway (including me) dont feel much of a difference to warrant putting it back on.

Now the front is a diff story, but what are you going to do with the disconnected sway?

·
Registered
681 Posts
There is a combination of parts you can get from McMaster Carr that will give sway bar disconnects. The issue why there is not any on the market for the front is that the links are very short.

Here is the thread to make your own Hiem joint end links:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/make-swaybar-endlinks-lifts-68522/

From that thread these are the parts for a non disconnecting links:
$22.32 = 6072K34 11.16 EA (Female Shank; Right Hand Thread)
$23.68 = 6072K14 11.84 EA (Male Shank; Right Hand Thread)
$12.00 = Hardware (4 1/2-20 Nylon-Insert Hex Locknuts, 2 1/2-20 Hex Nuts, 8 1/2 Washers)

If you replace the 6072K34 with 6058K33(Ball Joint Linkage, Quick-Disconnect, Steel, 1/2"-20 Right-Hand Thread Size, $5.77 each Link) they will be able to disconnect. Mind you I have not done this, but it should give you that ability. The only concern I have is that the quick disconnect hiem is not as beefy as the standard hiem so not sure how long they would hold up. If you try this and they don't last you can anyways just order the ones listed above and be back on your way. Please report back if you do try this!

21SF, just swing the bar forward and zip tie it. or make a mount that will capture it. Easy...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm hoping to find an easy way to front disconnect as well. So far, nothing sounds "great"...

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only concern I have is that the quick disconnect hiem is not as beefy as the standard hiem so not sure how long they would hold up. If you try this and they don't last you can anyways just order the ones listed above and be back on your way. Please report back if you do try this!

21SF, just swing the bar forward and zip tie it. or make a mount that will capture it. Easy...
Neither of those part numbers are load rated, so it's a crap shoot even with the non-QD style. They're designed to be used in a linkage application, not load bearing. After spring break is over I'm gonna bug my Statics & Strengths teacher and see if I can figure out how much force those things actually take.

I had QD's on my Cherokee and loved them. Just swung the sway bar up and bungeed it out of the way. The Xterra has quite a bit less room up front, though. When I have everything torn apart to get my lift in I'm gonna see if there's any good place to tie the bar up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Why couldn't you remove just one of the links from the front? I was thinking about that. Has anyone tried that? I know it's not "quick", but doable in a couple minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts