Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but can't seem to locate an answer to my question, so please bear with me. I just got my 2013 S 4X4 and can't stand the steering wheel. I ordered the leather one for a Pro-4X. I didn't realize the controls are already in the wheel unit. So...my question is multi-part. :) I am having the dealer do the install, but when I stopped by to get a price quote for labor, they seemed confused as to what I was trying to do, which has me concerned. I told them I ordered a Pro-4X leather wheel and want to just swap it out, and they kept referring to it as an aftermarket wheel. I am just looking for info for when I bring it in so I am the informed one. :) Since the S model steering wheel doesn't have stereo controls, and the new one does, will there be an issue if they just plug it into the system as is? I understand the radio controls won't work...I am not looking for that anyway. My concern is whether it will just plug in since it has the radio controls and the cruise controls wired into one plug/harness, or will that mess up the cruise controls. So..if not, I presume the silver covers on the wheel where the controls are built into come off, but I tried to remove them last night and couldn't get them to free up after taking the bolt out. If they do come out, am I correct that we can just swap out the silver center portion and cruise controls from my stock wheel and put them into the new leather wheel?

I apologize for the long post, but trying to understand this is driving me nuts. In my mind I'm positive this is an easy swap out and I'm just missing something that's not allowing me to get the silver center parts out, but I don't want to break anything by forcing. AND, I want to have the answers on how to do this that I'm beginning to think the dealer will be clueless about.

Thanks All

·
on line
433 Posts
I have just installed the leather one on my '08 S as the original was starting to fall apart. It really is pretty easy if you want to give it a go yourself, about 30 minutes from start to finish. I ended up swapping my original switches on to the new wheel as the pin outs were different on the new one.

The only thing I would add to the video is to leave the nut engaged a few threads before pulling the wheel off so it doesn't hit you in the face.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/how-install-steering-wheel-controls-31210/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDv-IYVPP0

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Furrner. But how do you get the silver switch parts to come off after undoing the torx screw? I tried last night, and couldn't figure out how to get them to disengage. I didn't want to break any tabs so I stopped trying.

Not sure I want to do it myself only because I heard you have to reset the airbag once you unplug it from the wheel. Not sure if it's true or not, but not sure I want to take the risk...

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The switches do come off the wheel. Couple of screws and pull. Take the back cover off first will help.

·
on line
433 Posts
They just need a little wiggling while pulling vertically off the face of the wheel. They should pop right out. There are two semicircular tabs that push down into matching receivers molded into the steering wheel.

I did not have to reset anything other than the VDC and slip lights after doing this. Also be very careful about not moving the clock spring with the wheel off. There is a procedure to reset it's position if it does get moved.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched to a leather Pro-4X wheel as well. I used the controls using a how to on this forum. I paid the dealership to do mine as it only cost $37.50 and that was worth it for me to not have to mess with the air bag or clock spring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I actually doing the same thing, but my concern is the tech that looked at it to give me the quote seemed clueless. So I am just doing my homework first.

Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts