Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a rear différentiel from a 2018 nissan frontier pro4x when I bought my 05 offroad last year. That xterra has since died, but I'm going to look at an 08 S tomorrow.

I was wondering how I would go about swapping the rear diff with the locker onto the Xterra?

·
Registered
Canadian 05 Xterra base with small upgrades.
27 Posts
Gear ratio is different, you need a matching front differential from a from a frontier. Unless the xterra is 2WD

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Spring seats are also different - frontier leaf is over the axle, Xterra is under. They will need to be rewelded to a different location if you wish to keep your existing suspension.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Gear ratio is different, you need a matching front differential from a from a frontier. Unless the xterra is 2WD
The matching diff could be from an Xterra, pathfinder, or MAYBE a Titan... but yeah, probably gotta change the ratio at one end or the other.

·
on line
2,416 Posts
The pinion is also longer. Should run a shorter driveshaft. Although many don't. With a lift it can actually help with a lengthening the rear driveshaft without actually having to do it.

Hope you have the ABS sensors, they do NOT interchange.

How many driveshaft bolts on the new axle? Frontiers typically run 4 bolts, Xterra typically 6. You may need a flange, and there are different spline counts over the years.

No brackets for the rear sway bar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts