Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife surprised me with a week of fourwheeling in Southwestern Colorado for my birthday a few weeks ago. We started in Lake City, drove over Cinammon Pass into Animas Forks ghost town, then on to Ouray via Silverton. After spending a couple days in this area, it was on to Telluride for a couple days, then Ridgway for my birthday, and back to Ouray for the last couple days of our trip. Whew! Logged about 1,000 miles since we left home, and what a great trip!

For those of you who have never been to the area (or even heard of it, lol), Ouray is called "Little Switzerland of the America" and the beauty of the area certainly earns it the name. Many local stores have shirts, etc calling it the Jeeping capitol of the world, and if it weren't for Moab, I may have to agree. Roughly 53 trails in the area, and an economy sustained strongly by 4x4 rentals, jeeping tours, and so forth, really reminded me of a Moab in the mountains.

After weeding through the approximately 500 pics, here is a few that highlight some of the fourwheeling we did on the trip.

Beginning Cinammon Pass, Day 2.

Top of Cinammon Pass, Elev. 12,600'.

Descending Cinammon Pass. Animas Forks in the background.

Francisco Mine (?) at Animas Forks.

Old mountain rescue rig in Ouray. Day 3.

We hooked up with RONIN (Renedezvous of Nissans) and ran Mineral Point, Engineer Pass (to Oh! Point), Corkscrew Gulch, and a few other trails. Day 4.

Kevin

The whole crew. Mineral Point trail.

Ascending Engineer Pass.

The color is the same, but that may be about it. Kevin making my X look small.

Chris.

The group at Oh! Point.

Descending Engineer Pass.

The wrong line.

Chris gave me a quick spot and we were on our way.

Below Bridal Veil Falls, lower Black Bear Pass, near Telluride. Day 5.

Station House atop Bridal Veil Falls.

Shelf road along Ophir Pass. We were supposed to catch up with RONIN here again, but got to the trailhead a little too late; missed them by about 15 minutes and never did catch up. Day 7.

Drinking Cup spot on Yankee Boy Basin. Day 8.

Overhang on Yankee Boy.

Some unlucky sap from Oregon rolled his Pathy on the upper portion of Yankee Boy, successfully blocking the trail. But...

A couple of guys from MacPherson Offroad out of Montrose were nice enough to flip the guy back over. The guy in the TJ just mounted his winch that morning!

Happy trails! ~Steve

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Great shots. You did some great runs.
RockyMtnX said:
Old mountain rescue rig in Ouray. Day 3.
I meant to get a shot of this truck but forgot to go back. I loved how they had the MasterCard and Visa stickers on the truck!

RockyMtnX said:
Some unlucky sap from Oregon rolled his Pathy on the upper portion of Yankee Boy, successfully blocking the trail. But...
How the hell did he manage to roll there?

·
on line
564 Posts
Very nice!

Rob

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Nice stuff man. That pathy looks like he rolled down some hill or something.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Awesome pictures man

·
on line
2,459 Posts
kneebuster said:
RockyMtnX said:
How the hell did he manage to roll there?
That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw it.

Great pics man!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the sliders came in handy a couple times. Sooo glad I told myself I wouldn't take it offroad until I got them. Now, I just need to get a lift on it for a little more clearance.

As for the Pathy, the guy said he had a "momentary lapse;" I'll say! We took a while to figure out how he managed to roll there, too, but he went too high on the hill behind the yellow Jeep (3/4 roll). He is lucky he didn't roll once or twice more, though... there is a few hundred foot drop off into a canyon just beyond the edge of the pictures.

Great present indeed... can't wait to go back!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Right on! Nice pics my man, that is a gorgeous area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts