Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new the wheelin world but my girlfriend gave me permission to do whatever I want to her xterra, I already stealthed her emblems and bumper and I am waiting for her current michelins to bald so i can get some new tires onto it, I want to put in a nice lift to her x roughly 2 inches. What do you guys recommend, I dont have a bottomless wallet but I can drop a pretty big amount if needed on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for something a littttle bit cheaper then that, I don't wanna drop that in suspension until I get my new x in march
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
but I can drop a pretty big amount if needed on it.
In the Xterra world, this is a decent amount. You want to drop a "pretty big amount"....grab your balls and get started on a titan swap. You'll drop 3-4 grand (depending on how you do it).

If those lift kits aren't a "big amount" and you are wanting less, what exactly do you want ot accomplish out of your lift kit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's fair, and since I'm newer at this, I'm willing to hear everything. So I will look into those lifts, I'm in to drop a load and "my balls" to get a mean machine
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The X is not the cheapest vehicle to lift. The two I linked are the best kits, from there you would spend $3-4k on a Titanswap, or much more on a SAS. Check both PRG and Nisstec, there are less expensive options, but they will be more limited in performance.

Or just take the GF's, get some sliders, get on the trail. Then you will have a good feel for what improvements you want on the new truck.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Is the Xterra yours? If so, spend the money dude, buy one of those kits. I recommend the PRG kit, BUT, Greg (at PRG) has struggled with customer service. If it were me, I'd call him and I would wait out the delay on the UCAs. I think his are unrivaled...BUT, and a second huge "BUT", this is strictly my opinion, his service really does suck huge donkey balls.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its my gfs an she doesnt care what i do with it, thats why i dont want to throw a lot into it until i get rid of my cherokee and buy a new xterra in the coming months,. I just want her vehicle to be able handle easy to moderate trails and do what needs to be done fo that

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Honestly, since you are not wanting to go all out on this thing. I would wait on the lift. I'd get some skid plates and some sliders along with those new tires you were talking about and you can actually wheel that thing.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Honestly, since you are not wanting to go all out on this thing. I would wait on the lift. I'd get some skid plates and some sliders along with those new tires you were talking about and you can actually wheel that thing.
+1

My truck did surprisingly well on stock suspension and 33" tires. Add sliders and skids and you're pretty much set. You could always throw some spacers on the front and AAL's or shackles in the rear to get you a bit more ground clearance on the cheap.

The only problem really you would run into is with the front suspension. When you lift an X, you want to add cam bolts to the lower control arms. 9 times out of 10, the stock LCA bolts are seized and the entire LCA needs to be cut out and replaced. This ends up being about a $300-400 ordeal for new LCA's and cam bolts, no matter what way you lift it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Listen to the ppl here telling you to invest in skids and tires first. You'd be surprised what an X will do with just tires. Lift later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
excellent, I am going to do just that! So I am going to order sliders friday, what do you recommend for skid plates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay sounds good ill do hefty, any specific skid plates that are more important then others

1 - 20 of 21 Posts