Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you think would be the average price someone would charge to do a sprung over axle on a 05 xterra. Next question. How wide is the rim on the s model? And what is the larget RECAMENDED tire size, not the size you can squeeze on.

Thanks

·
on line
2,938 Posts
The rim is 7 ins. Largest tire on the stock rim without trimming or a BL is the 285/75.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
True Koko but I think the largest recommended is the 265/75 like on the OR. The 285s are made to go on at least an 8in rim (ask MC)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yep the largest recommended tire size is what is on the OR model. I'm not sure what that is. Less than a 285 though. And, I do recommend doing that.
Yep, factory rim is 7 in and a 285 75 16 calls for a 8 in. to make it sit properly on the road, otherwise it bulges in the center and runs out of balance.
I like the "LOOK" of the 285 75 16's but I'd say it's a safer bet going with the OR size tire for gas mileage reasons as well as handling, and making sure they don't scrap out your front diff. (That's a rumor that over size tires cause this) 20K and no trouble there, here. MC

·
on line
559 Posts
What does "spring over the rear" mean? Meaning replacing the leafs for springs?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
max6spd said:
What does "spring over the rear" mean? Meaning replacing the leafs for springs?
Nope. Right now on the X the leaf springs are mounted under the axle. A spring over is moving the leaf spring mount onto of the axle.

This is spring over axle on ponyboy's X.

Standard X spring mount

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
If you do spring over in the rear you are not going to be able to match the lift height in the front.
Yes you can. You just need to SAS it. :wave:

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think you get more than 6 inches with a soa. Calmini is a diff drop kit that uses the stock springs. Then with ac coils you have 7.5 inches in the front. And the cv's are no more out of place then with ac coils alone.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ok, if you get the Calmini 5" lift then you can probably do it...but then I have to ask why?

That being said, can you even buy the Calmini 5" yet?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
That being said, can you even buy the Calmini 5" yet?
They are taking orders. I read on another board, a user pre-ordered and calmini said they are almost sold out of the first 50 units. Calmini also said they should begin shipping in 3 weeks :lol:

50 units seems like they sold a lot of units, but I think that is both for the X and the fronty.

·
on line
576 Posts
The SOA didn't give us as much lift as we thought. I would say around 5-6inches. Here is some before and after pics of the SOA without and with the Calmini 1.5" AAL.

Before:

After:

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YOu ask why I say why not? You spend what 1800 on the lift and coils. What ever for the spring over axle. Alot cheaper than a sas. PLus no down time, I dont have to worry about finding parts or driving from va or nj to colorado. Seems like a good deal to me. Especially if my other post about gears works out. Then running 35's wont be much of a problem. We got people running 34's already. PLus if your not flooring it all the time and jumping the wheels off the ground i see no problem. Especially since ill be moving to the beach and playing in sand and mud. With wheeling once a month if that its the look im after.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
You have a good point AJ. i would love to see that calmini lift combined with the AC lift. What i personally think you should do is buy the calmini lift... dont install it but send the diff drop over to jim at shrockworks and see if he can make a couple of them for us. Then install it. :cheers: :cheers:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The only reason I can see to do it if you buy a Calmini 5" lift is if you forgo the new spring pack. As for how much it would cost to do...I would figure about 3 hours at probably $100 / hour. It's not hard to do. You could do it yourself pretty easily.

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figure making friends with someone that can weld is alot cheaper than a custom 7 inch spring back thats why I figure soa. PLus it would move the shock mount up and you could use calminis rear shocks you already have. If you get a new spring pack no one makes shocks for an xterra with a 7 inch lift. I figure soa would move the shock mount up so basically you would use everything in the calmini kit and the ac coils but depending on how much height soa axle gives the only thing you wont use is the calmini shackle or the leaf pack depending on what you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts