Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2012 X trim xterra since may (2013) and I have decided I want a Simple 2-3 inch lift but honestly I have no clue what I'm doing.

I have looked into these different lifts but I still don't know which would be the best quality for the $.

http://www.roughcountry.com/nissan-suspension-lift-kit-867.html the cheapest so far.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg-2xe31mk-x/ I like the thought of AAL over shackes

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-2-x-vhs-mini-kit/

I don't know which would be better for my truck.

I also am looking at the http://www.treaddepot.com/wheelsizes/ser98.html

but it seems like it won't clear the calipers without spacers but I have heard some very mixed reviews on spacers stuff like ruined ball bearings (nissan dealership) to they have no problem with them so I really have no clue with what I should do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
The Rough Country and PRG VHS kits are the same concept - spacer block which goes between your front coilover and the coilover mount on the frame, and rear shackles that replace your stock ones. The PRG shackle is boxed and welded, so it would most likely be stronger than the Rough Country. Both are theoretically simple - jack the X up, unbolt the components to be replaced, swap/add components, bolt everything back together. Be advised that, above a 2" lift (especially with spacers), you may get coil bucket contact at full droop (meaning when the suspension flexes down, it will touch the mounting bracket for the coilover and make a very loud noise! No real damage done though) - the only way to resolve it is to get different upper control arms.

The PRG AAL kit (middle link), as you can see, comes with additional leaf springs that attach to your stock leaf spring to achieve lift instead of replacement shackles. This kit will require a bit more work as you'll have to detach your axle from the leaf springs (and likely you'll have to get new u-bolts as well - not advisable to re-use the old ones).

A thread over on ClubXterra (made by a Discount Tire Direct rep) confirms that the 98s will hit your calipers. On this forum, we have a thread of wheel options: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5119

And in that thread, this post shows some similar-looking rims that do fit without a spacer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so bouncing to what LI11X said about the leafs flattening faster scares me and so does the "loud noise" so thinking about bit is there a kit that will preserve my leafs and prevent the loud noise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i also wouldn't mind the spacers for the wider stance but i don't want to do any damage with them

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
so bouncing to what LI11X said about the leafs flattening faster scares me and so does the "loud noise" so thinking about bit is there a kit that will preserve my leafs and prevent the loud noise.
Just don't exceed 2" in the front (or spend more money on different upper control arms). As to leaf packs, they'll all flatten out eventually (and "faster" is relative) but your best bet is to save up and get full replacement leaf packs. Old Man Emu is a good place to start (and in fact you can get a whole coilover and leaf package for a 1.5" lift which can be augmented with shackles and spacers for more height), but if you really want to invest in the rig, go for custom packs from Deaver or another manufacturer. The custom route will have you weighing your truck and specifying the manufacturer what kind of ride and activity you're planning for.

Basically, to avoid issues, keep throwing money at the them :)

and i also wouldn't mind the spacers for the wider stance but i don't want to do any damage with them
I've heard about the bearing wearing too. But just as importantly, if you go too wide you'll end up rubbing (and damaging) the fenders - many Xterras with spacers and Titan swaps have trimmed fenders. The size of spacer will depend on the wheel and tire configuration you want to run - some simply work, some will require you to cut your truck up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not really looking for custom suspension just looking for the basic 2 inch lift for right now. $ is a pretty big deal for at this point, but im going to try to save uf for the shrocks front bumber.. which i hope will add a little personality to my rig.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
You should be fine with shackles and spacers, then. That Shrock will weigh your front end down, though, many lose some lift (fractions of an inch). You may want to think at least about a spring upgrade for the front (and for that money and time spent you may as well do a full coilover). Whatever you do, just anticipate your needs (load and articulation) and that will inform your lift.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
so a full coil over will be well worth it?
Yes. You'll generally get improved performance over just a spacer (which doesn't do much) because you're replacing the shock and spring together with heartier components. The stock stuff is only juuuust strong enough to keep the truck from sagging as it stands. As you peruse the forums you'll find plenty of people complaining about the rear end unreasonably bottoming out over bumps.

so what is the benefit of a titan swap? and what would be a better choice in coil overs radflow or OME?
Titan Swap gives you more downtravel (wheels can drop lower) - uptravel is still limited by the fenders but you can do a body lift and trim the fenders to alleviate that. Also widens your stance by 3" on each side (front only - you'll need spacers for the back for even track) and allows for a beefier front differential and wider/higher variety of lifts (since you're using Titan parts). A Titan Swap is pricey though (especially for a 4x4), and it will likely void every warranty on your X. There are different levels of Titan Swap, but the ultimate one (besides buying an entire Titan) will replace the entire front suspension and drivetrain components.

Radflo is top-of-the-line for us (or near the top anyway, maybe Sway-A-Way/SAW ranks a little better). OME is an entry-level coilover. If you have the money, go for Radflo (along with upper control arms) as they can be continuously adjusted to give you the exact lift you want. Topping one out seems inadvisable though, as ride quality will suffer - if you're going for 3", set them for 2" and get a 1" spacer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
so redflows 2.5 would be over kill? and as long as that would be a good sturdy setup I would Defiantly consider it.

so where does blisten sit in comparison to redflow and OME and sway a way ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Question for those answering "theman's" post if you all don't mind...?

Was looking at the lift links at top and it seems like getting the Bilstein 24-187053 Front Height Adjustable Shocks and an adjustable shackle in the back would be a pretty cheap ~2" lift that wouldn't have the possible metal to metal contact issues you'd get with a 2" spacer up front.

Plus you could still add a 1" spacer and bump stop to the front and shouldn't get contact. Then do an AAL in the back and have a ~3" lift for around 500 bucks in parts?

OR am I missing something obvious there? (which is probably the case! :) )

I know it's not gonna ride like higher end coil overs, but so far I'm hugely impressed with the ride on the Pro4x as is with it's Blisteins. Just need to get up over the rocks a bit more!!! (I'll be visiting the link to the tire selection next, thanks for that!)

I'm a noob at this like the OP! (from the burque too. some great mud up at Cedro on New Years!) I have been searching and reading, but didn't find this question answered yet. (Plus I always get distracted checking out build threads and forget what answer I was looking for!!!)

Sorry to threadjack! But since it's on topic I hoped no one would mind.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Just my 2 cents and what i think is a good plan for you.

get the spacers up front and the aal in the back. this will keep you happy for a while.

wait for a set of coilovers to come up for sale. I got my saws for $400 and i got a set of radflos for a buddy of mine also for $400. these deals are few and far in between though. budget 600 for a set. any less is just a plus.

no sense in getting the shrock without the radflos or like so after those are found get the shrock. that should keep you very happy for a very long time. especially with a winch in the front.

but.... if youre like me you make all these plans to be happy for a long time and then youll end up slaving over the X for all eternity and it changes pretty consistently every other day...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
is it necessary to get an alignment every time you install a suspension component?

On top of that i have the x class rims but i also have no clue how tire sizes work or what will fit any help :confused:

BTW that was the first week i had my rig and it was high centered in a running stream :/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts