Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 X is sitting right around 225k. Stock everything. Had a leaf spring finally crack. Looking at suspension upgrades vs. going with a lift of any kind. Not looking to swap out UCAs or LCA's our CV joints. Deciding between Bilstein 4600's all around or the 5100's with new coils, as well as OME in the rear, maybe 1inch.

Hoping to do this without stressing out the front differential as its getting up there in miles and am hoping to to get some more good years out of her.

Any comments on tolerances or issues with slight lifts on the differential or LCA, UCA?

I feel like the 4600s are already an upgrade from my stock shocks and that the 5100's are a little over kill for my purposes.

Any Advice would be great.

·
on line
221 Posts
What model do you have? To keep the stock UCA's you'll want to limit any lift to 2". The 4600s won't save you much $ over the 5100s. Check out 4x4 Parts/Automotive Customizers for some of the best prices.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Read the forums, do some research. Sounds like you'll wanna go with a full set of 5100's and new leaf springs at the very least.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
My 2008 X is sitting right around 225k. Stock everything. Had a leaf spring finally crack. Looking at suspension upgrades vs. going with a lift of any kind. Not looking to swap out UCAs or LCA's our CV joints. Deciding between Bilstein 4600's all around or the 5100's with new coils, as well as OME in the rear, maybe 1inch.

Hoping to do this without stressing out the front differential as its getting up there in miles and am hoping to to get some more good years out of her.

Any comments on tolerances or issues with slight lifts on the differential or LCA, UCA?

I feel like the 4600s are already an upgrade from my stock shocks and that the 5100's are a little over kill for my purposes.

Any Advice would be great.

Since you don't want a lift 5100's are pointless, the 4600's will get you close to a factory ride again but there are likely a few more worn out parts with that mileage. I'd definitely replace at a minimum the coil springs/bushings too. The inner/outer tie rods, LCA's, UCA's are probably decently worn but if you don't want to spend the money you can always wait and see. IME that has always led to me having to go back in later to replace stuff that would have been easier to do all at once the first go around. You can typically lift up to around 2" or less without issues with the UCA's, the LCA's are much more tolerant of increased angles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What model do you have? To keep the stock UCA's you'll want to limit any lift to 2". The 4600s won't save you much $ over the 5100s. Check out 4x4 Parts/Automotive Customizers for some of the best prices.
X series 2008 Xterra. Theres really no way to not have some semblance of a lift when replacing the leaf packages without just going to the junkyard. So OME's it is. Thanks for the website!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read the forums, do some research. Sounds like you'll wanna go with a full set of 5100's and new leaf springs at the very least.
Been doing quite a bit of research through the day, just sort of got a little alarmed with the front differential failure thread. 5100s are pretty much the only option when also replacing the leaf packages to OME's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you don't want a lift 5100's are pointless, the 4600's will get you close to a factory ride again but there are likely a few more worn out parts with that mileage. I'd definitely replace at a minimum the coil springs/bushings too. The inner/outer tie rods, LCA's, UCA's are probably decently worn but if you don't want to spend the money you can always wait and see. IME that has always led to me having to go back in later to replace stuff that would have been easier to do all at once the first go around. You can typically lift up to around 2" or less without issues with the UCA's, the LCA's are much more tolerant of increased angles.
Replacing the leaf's with OME Dakar leaf package is going to give it a 1inch lift there about so might as well continue with the 5100's since they are adjustable and only about 20 dollars more expensive per shock.

I imagine doing everything all at once is the most ideal but I'm at my budget for now with 4 5100s, OME leafs, hardware, and coils. The rest of it nearly triples the budget. Fingers crossed that the rods, UCAs and LCAs don't say f%&^ it and give up on me after the install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts