Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the PRG FRONTIER MINI KIT online and wanted to know if i got this would I need new shocks too? I am only looking for a mild lift so I was thinking the 2" front and 1.5" in the back. Thanks....if i get it ill need help installing so here comes a mod day...

·
on line
463 Posts
I guess it depends upon your application and desire for off-road usage ?
My X sees daily usage as a commuter to/From the daily drag we all know as work.
But, on the week-ends it gets it's fair share of abuse on the trails.
Initially, I installed the two inch spacers in the front and added an AAL to the rear. ( This would fit your criteria for the street.)
On the weekends, I found this combination as unacceptable for my liking on the trails.
I have installed Rad-Flo shocks and Eibach springs in the front and put the Deaver Mini-Packs in the rear with PRG"s shackles. The shackles are adjustable for higher lift if need be.
All of my suspension came from PRG,,,Greg Knows his stuff !
I have found this to be a great combination for my application. As you look through the group here, you'll find every kind of usage and combination of lift and suspension.
While the spacers and AAL are relatively inexpensive,,,,,,,,,,the more you change,,,,,,the more it costs !

For What it's worth,,,that's my input !

·
on line
2,077 Posts
as mentioned, you need to consider what you'll be doing in the X, if your sticking to the street a spacer/AAL or spacer/shackle kit will suit your needs. if you have ambitions of offroading say a few times a year it may be wise to invest in something like the radflo coilovers up front.

as prod39 mention, the radflo/deaver setup is great (i have it also, but with AC shackles and bil 5125 rear shocks). it's a great setup offroad, and works well on road too. Also, greg stands behind his products better than anyone i have dealt with (he's replacing one of my radflos because i started getting UCA contact 2 months after i put them on...that's some good customer service!)

a spacer kit will run you a few hundred, radflos and deavers anywhere from $850-$1100 (depending if you upgrade the shackles and rear shocks also (which will require longer brake lines))

just remember to budget $50 for camber bolts you'll need them.

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I too use my x for the daily commute to and from work, but i want to get into off road adventures, hence my previous questions concerning lockers and suspension... I am not one of those guys looking to build a hardcore off road rig, but i want somthing better than stock. I live in snow country and I anticipate going to the slopes everyother weekend in the winter, but in the summer i dont know where to go to trail ride so thats why I have not modified anything on the x as far as suspension and drive parts... like I said I am looking for mild performance becase this is my daily driver. and I am no looking to drop a ton of money on it, I understand you get what you pay for, but SAS is out of the question...looking to do a little lift for around $500-$750 The prg kit is $250 so that would give me $250-500 for shocks springs or other things needed (which I have no clue on)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
marzterra said:
..., but i want to get into off road adventures...
Have you taken you X offroad much, or any, in stock form yet? What works for one in their terrain and their type of wheeling my not be the best for you. My suggestion would be to slap on a set of sliders first and foremost (my recommendation for anybody hitting the trails) and go out and wheel the thing! Then, determine what your needs really are. I, like most, have found that a bit more ground clearance sure would be nice, so I plan on adding a small suspension lift. But, I've come to this realization with real-world experience. I'll be going the cheap route first, spacers and AAL, and am hoping it works out. If it sucks, I'm sure I can recover most of the $100 spent on spacers and upgrade to the Radflos. Easier to start cheap, though.

But, my $0.02, go wheel it and find out what you need. You may find it works just fine in stock form for you. Now, if you are going for looks, that is a whole other conversation...

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i would have to agree if you only plan to do mild offroading the X in the stock form is quite capable....slap some sliders and skids on, and upgrade the tires and you'll prob. be pretty good unless you get a little more aggressive with your offroading

hey RockyMtnX......adding a lift will not increase your ground clearance, you're rear axle will not be raised up, thus your rear diff will still be at the same height as before the lift....the only way to get a true increase in ground clearance it to increase tire size.....just some food for though

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Check out http://www.marketworks.com/storefro...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=134402&c=702220&i=172587736 for spacers... they are the cheapest and a lot of guys are running them. I like the Calmini AAL for the back, as it appears to be a pretty all-inclusive kit; most common complaint with it is noise (squeaks). A lot of guys like the deaver kit from PRG too. New shocks are a good idea, but not necessary; they open a can of worms to other necessary mods, too, ala brakelines, wiring mods, etc.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
willgr1 said:
hey RockyMtnX......adding a lift will not increase your ground clearance, you're rear axle will not be raised up, thus your rear diff will still be at the same height as before the lift....the only way to get a true increase in ground clearance it to increase tire size.....just some food for though
Okay, good catch. What I was referring to was clearance in general. While you are correct that lowest point of ground clearance would not be changed with a lift and only by tires, a lift will add clearance at the places I, and probably most others, have found to be more of a problem while offroading; ie, sliders and frame. I haven't yet encountered a clearance problem at either of the diffs, which can generally be overcome with proper tire placement.

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so you have changed my mind....sliders and new tires....now the question is what size?

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the stock size...whats the largest size i can run with out mod?

·
on line
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good deal....thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts