Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Does anyone know if I'm traveling through a state can I be hit for one of these violations or do I just have to follow my state law where my vehicle is registered?

Edit: The reason I ask i'm about to drive south to north and back down again in a few weeks and don't need a ding for my wheels sticking out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
As far as I know, as long as you comply with the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered, they can't ding you for it, but I could be wrong on that.:confused:

·
Banned
2,966 Posts
As far as I know, as long as you comply with the laws in the state where the vehicle is registered, they can't ding you for it, but I could be wrong on that.:confused:
That is correct. You cannot be written a violation if your vehicle complies with the regulations set forth in the state in which it is registered. This apply's to things including, but not limited to; Tire size, total lift, head light retrofitting, offroad lighting, window tint and front license plates.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
So justto be clear if I were to drive to a state like cali that requires mud flaps and decent fenders but Florida does requires I'll be good right?
I've been living here for ~20 years without mud flaps.

"27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. "

So as long as I don't remove the rear fenders I'm legal.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The question is if you have a Texas truck since they basically have no restriction can you get in trouble in a different state. I think they can right you a ticket you probably have to show up in court to fight it which in a lot of cases is not worth the travel money.

·
TNX Senior Member
445 Posts
Actually, if you do not comply with a given State's law, they can and will write you a ticket. Not sure if it is "Legal" but they will do it. The reason I know this is because about 2 years ago I was traveling from PA to FL and going through VA I was pulled over for modifications to my vehicle. I was following two other family members and we were not speeding or breaking any "normal" laws. My vehicle was the last in line in our "convoy" and the cop saw my tinted windows, lowered car (I had a Ford Focus at the time), my wheels, stance, etc. and the officer ticketed me for just about everything he could. I called in to the local station to complain because I too thought it was absurd they could ticket me even though my vehicle was not registered in their state. I spoke with the chief of police and he told me that's how they get a significant portion of their funding, from out of state traffic "violations". I thought it was ridiculous but they had me between a rock and a hard place because I wasn't going to drive 4-6 hours for a $200 fine. Would not have been worth the cost of missing work plus the time/gas money to drive back down. So unless I was just terribly unlucky that day and they got one over on me, yes, you can in fact get pulled over if you are driving in a state in which your vehicle does not comply with their laws, even if it is 100% legal in the state your vehicle is registered in.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Being ticketed for something and it being illegal are vastly different. That is why there is a court.

If you can get something from your registered state (a copy of the law or whatever) stating that what you have meets their code - in your case would have been window tint levels in the law, and a statement from somewhere saying yours were under that level, then you could have it quickly thrown out of court.

Of course you have to show up in court to fight the charge, and often that is not worth the time and trouble financially.

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,842 Posts
If you are out of your home state, they can only legally cite you for moving violations. Vehicle code is different for every state and cannot be applied to out-of-stock vehicles. You should've fought it. One state cannot gain revenue for a violation based in another state.l when it comes to the vehicle. Now if you bumper was dragging on the road or your tire was wobbly and about to fall off, that would be a different story. That's falls into the category of safety and the potential endangerment of others.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Federal Transportation Law requires that one state recognize other state laws. So all vehicles have to follow laws of the state it is registered in.

So note if your vehicle violates the law for the state it is registered another state can still write you a ticket for it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This is funny because the Georgia law for suspension states a max of 2in but clearly they don't care because there are so many people over that up to 6 inches of lift lol.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Federal Transportation Law requires that one state recognize other state laws. So all vehicles have to follow laws of the state it is registered in.
see, that's what everyone is saying - its where your registered....so it seems to me the approach i would recommend for anyone traveling through a state where you could possibly be pulled over for "their" differences in lift laws is to discuss the facts with the officer....

i mean, if you had PRINTED OUT laws and the code of the state in which your registered and your there reading to the cop and showing him the code in which your vehicle is in compliance/registered then after that HE still gives you a ticket...

Then it just sucks to be you....Cant think of anything else really......

-J

·
Registered
991 Posts
No cop is going to take back a ticket because it was wrongly given. If he has taken the time to stop you, he'll expect a return on his "investment". Since quotas became illegal, ticket requirements have moved to the job description, and become a condition for promotion.

It's not personal.It's just business. And, no, I don't approve.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
^ yep...i agree......having the facts and showing a cop hes wrong....lol....ya you ever met a cop that was wrong..pfff

in the end.......i think this worry as you drive from state to state is just....are you lucky enough to not be stopped...

-J

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm gonna step in on this. Civil servants(town and state cops) should not be pulling anyone over unless you have committed a crime or moving violation. They have to have probable cause or an articulation of a violation. So if you have a taillight out, or have run a red light then they have cause to pull you over and then they got your exhaust, lift or illegal mods they can sight you for. Now if your from Vermont that is an allowed any height lift over stock, and you go to Massachusetts, an officer can pull you over, he can give you a ticket! BUT IT WILL NOT FLY IN COURT. it becomes a sovereign citizens right to travel freely across any state without having to abide by state vehical lift laws, they do not honor your states lift laws. Unless there not doing there job right! Some of the list includes,.....lifts ( check out stock 2017 Toyota forerunners suspension height off the showroom vs 2.5" xterra lift. Exhaust mods (can only be justified by an officer that will need a decibal meter and a print out sheet of decible readings per vehical noise output)! Stock dodge rams with hemis, off the showroom floor have a higher decible read out then 6cyl xterra aftermarket exhaust systems). It has been proved that some can even get away without having a licence plate to travel through other states. But then again some states don't honor sovereign laws. Its all about how you are with the officers. ( being polite, while voicing your amendment rights can get you a lot further then being cocky!
Always remember to read and learn 1st-4th and 5th amendments and always video and audio record when you get pulled over, after all its your 1st amendment right. Unless they can articulate a reason why they are pulling you over... your free! Also suspicion is not a crime. So if you don't know your states height laws go to liftlaws.com followed by your state. Its definitely a go to sight!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts