Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- Does it even need it?
2- Do the "long travel" lift kits out increase rear wheel travel? or just the travel of the front?

Trying to decide on doing a OME HD/Dakar HD set up or making a long travel kit...

·
on line
2,239 Posts
1) do you wheel to the point you need it, or are you just along to drink the Kool-Aid?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1) do you wheel to the point you need it, or are you just along to drink the Kool-Aid?
I have a 2014 that already has 10k miles on it, one cross country trip, and 'wheeling' in 7 states, to include Moab. I need to start lifting and armoring the X for the next trips so I dont destroy the sheet metal and can support the weight I carry.

Of the two of us, you are probably more of a kool aid drinker than I am.

Any other stupid ****ing questions? Or do you just want to answer mine instead?

Im trying to figure out if the X benefits from increased rear wheel travel, and if any of the kits actually increase it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Calm down man. Give us more info.

How much are you wanting to spend?

How often are you going to use it?

Check this out as well.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24095

Any rig will benefit from more travel. The rear suspension is leafs so for more lift you could go with the AAL or Shackles. However if you're looking for more travel as well (you did also mention more weight) I would go with alcans/dakar however it is more expensive. They can tack on more leafs for the weight you're going to be adding to the X.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I have a 2014 that already has 10k miles on it, one cross country trip, and 'wheeling' in 7 states, to include Moab. I need to start lifting and armoring the X for the next trips so I dont destroy the sheet metal and can support the weight I carry.

Of the two of us, you are probably more of a kool aid drinker than I am.

Any other stupid ****ing questions? Or do you just want to answer mine instead?

Im trying to figure out if the X benefits from increased rear wheel travel, and if any of the kits actually increase it.

OR, you can stop asking to be spoon fed and just do your own research.

Your questions have been answered on here before. I wouldn't have cared and would have chimed in, but you clearly don't want it. The initial response to your post wasn't out of this world. What lift you NEED is directly relevant to what you use it for. That's all the response asked, which is a pretty good place to start.

I think autozone has some pretty solid lift kits though. I'd probably start there if I were you....and maybe just stay there.

Edit because it's annoying:
Speaking of stupid questions by the way, what off-road capable vehicle do you know of that does NOT benefit from wheel travel? And on those mystical vehicles, who is cramming shocks that are built for 5-7" of lift under them?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Calm down man. Give us more info.

How much are you wanting to spend?

How often are you going to use it?

Check this out as well.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24095

Any rig will benefit from more travel. The rear suspension is leafs so for more lift you could go with the AAL or Shackles. However if you're looking for more travel as well (you did also mention more weight) I would go with alcans/dakar however it is more expensive. They can tack on more leafs for the weight you're going to be adding to the X.
Thanks for the link...I'll check it out.

I load the truck out fairly often, so I think doing a full leaf pack will serve better than basic add a leafs or shakles. I'm also not looking for a ton of lift nor do I feel like I need the adjustability of an adjustable coilover. I don't really have a price cap other than not buying a bunch of stuff I don't need (is calmini)

The one kit appeals because its simple and complete, and there is always something like a radlo setup, or a non adjustable tjm setup with a leafpack. The fronts advertise a 3" increase in wheel travel but I can't find anything on rear wheel travel? From what I've read it seems like the rear already has more travel than the front, so I'm wondering if its already sufficient for non Rubicon trail types.

Thanks again for the link. I'll read through that and get in touch with nisstech and discuss it over with them.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
on a stock suspension in the rear, you're limited in two places, up travel (limited by the bumpstops, if you've driven around fully loaded on stock leafs you know what these feel like) and down travel (limited by shock length, and brake hoses, e-brake cables and ABS wire lengths). if you are happy with the load carrying capacity of the stock leafs, you can lengthen the shackles in the rear, install longer shocks, and move some things around in the hoses and wiring department and get a bit more up and down travel. if you want more travel and more load carrying, you can do an AAL (cheap, and honestly mine has 80k+ miles on it and the stock leafs are just now giving up) from PRG or Nisstec, install a bit longer shocks and have more up and down travel and a bit more load carrying capacity. if you want more load carrying and a little less lift you can get an Old Man Emu leaf pack that has had good reviews, and if you want more lift or load carrying you can add an additional leaf to the pack. From there, if you have a permanent gear installation or carry a lot of stuff a lot of the time, you can order a custom leaf pack from alcan, but that is overkill for most people.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thanks for the link...I'll check it out.

I load the truck out fairly often, so I think doing a full leaf pack will serve better than basic add a leafs or shakles. I'm also not looking for a ton of lift nor do I feel like I need the adjustability of an adjustable coilover. I don't really have a price cap other than not buying a bunch of stuff I don't need (is calmini)

The one kit appeals because its simple and complete, and there is always something like a radlo setup, or a non adjustable tjm setup with a leafpack. The fronts advertise a 3" increase in wheel travel but I can't find anything on rear wheel travel? From what I've read it seems like the rear already has more travel than the front, so I'm wondering if its already sufficient for non Rubicon trail types.

Thanks again for the link. I'll read through that and get in touch with nisstech and discuss it over with them.

Cheers
te he:geek:

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Long travel, load carrying and leaf spring suspensions are three things that do not *generally* go together ... at least not without some pretty good design and tuning efforts. Efforts which I highly suspect have not been put into the kits currently available ... I'd lay better than even odds that any bolt on "kit" that's currently available for the rear of the Xterra is going to provide EITHER longer travel or more load capacity (than stock), but not both.

Unfortunately it's not something that anyone has really cataloged to any significant degree ... so we can't point you to a table that says Kit A is going to give you X lift, Y travel and Z load capacity. Further, it's a nuanced (and vehicle specific, including personal use cases) enough problem, that such a table would be virtually useless even if someone were willing to put in the time and effort (to say nothing of money) to generate it to a reliable degree.

Getting more travel out of a leaf pack means that the axle mount has to move through a bigger range ... that will mean either longer packs (and longer shackles, as well) or more flexible packs. More flexible packs at a higher spring rate (we're after more capacity, as well, right?) is where we start getting into competing design drivers and needing to look at many, thinner, leaves or even variable rate packs ... now you're starting to get a bit more trick.

Or you can look at something like OregonX's rear coil conversion ...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
To make it simple - in the front, go with shocks with more travel than stock and possibly a spacer for more lift. From all the research I've done, the standard length Radflo's or height adjustable Bilstein 5100's allow the most travel without replacing the UCA's. Although, with either of those shocks and a medium spacer (1 - 2"), you'll probably need to grind the UCA/CB for some clearance to allow for max droop...

For the rear, I think the stock leaf packs - being fairly soft - allow for plenty of travel. To lift the rear, shackles and a single AAL would do the trick for most people. The shackles allow the leafs to flex more than the stock shackles, as well as allowing the axle to droop as far as possible without having to mess with brake lines, etc. Adding a single AAL to the pack will stiffen the rear for higher loads. Coupled with longer shocks that don't limit travel before the axle reaches a "natural" full droop (axle droop with no shocks), you're going to have as much as can be had without making a lot of other changes.

Sure, you could do a lot more, but an extra inch or two in the front requires UCA's and even longer travel shocks. Beyond that, you're swapping out A-Arms, etc. for something like the Titan Swap - which gets expensive ~ $2500 or so. As said, in the rear, you're looking at something like Alcans with even longer shocks, brake line, ABS line mods, etc.

I'm always suspect when someone says price is not a consideration... Price is ALWAYS a consideration... so, an easier way to answer your overall question is by you setting a price limit. Then, we'll be happy to spend you money for you. LOL

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I quit reading after his second post. I usually dont have problems with anyone on here but this guys seems like a complete jackass.

And to the OP. This is a stupid question. If you had half the knowledge you say you do then you would know how to within a matter of minutes figure out the answer to your question...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I quit reading after his second post. I usually dont have problems with anyone on here but this guys seems like a complete jackass.

And to the OP. This is a stupid question. If you had half the knowledge you say you do then you would know how to within a matter of minutes figure out the answer to your question...
I thought it was a sarcastic post to gauge our knowledge and not his own regarding increased travel since he is a pro, gone"wheeling" 7 times including moab in 10k miles of having the truck.

Rik

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
I quit reading after his second post. I usually don't have problems with anyone on here but this guys seems like a complete jackass.
Let's give the kid a break. He's in way over his head and perhaps suffering from the Walter Mitty Syndrome. After all, in his first post he announced that his "plans for this Veh is mall crawling. . ." and two months ago was asking the difference between "M&S" and "Snowflake" tires. Now he's mentioning Moab and the Rubicon in the same post and dreaming of Titan swaps and Radflos.

I, for one, would hate to dash someone's dreams even if they are only daydreams.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Off topic - no matter what forum I've been to, newb's are treated with contempt. I would bet that this happened to many of us here... I consider it part of hazing the newbs and that's what they have to go through in order to be respected - if they make it that far. Some can't handle it, some can. Am I complaining? No. It's just life. C'est la vie.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts