Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've been reading as much as I can, and i just cant seem to get it to click as far as what exactly needs to be done.

I have a 2011 Xterra X, and I want a suspension lift. I want to do it somewhat inexpensively, but I also don't want to completely cheap out.

1: I'm pretty sure my leaf pack is shot. It seems very flat, could I get away with an add-a-leaf, or does the entire thing need replacing?

For the front shocks, can I just buy a new coil and possibly a coil spacer, or do I need new shocks as well?

and what else do i need? i see plenty of threads that show options... I'm just having trouble piecing together all the components i actually need.
Would i be better off buying a kit, or separate pieces?

I'm fairly new to modifying vehicles, so this is tough to jump into for me. thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
if money permits getting new leaf packs are the way to go. The ones that come from the factory go flat very fast (as you can tell from yours). An add a leaf will help for a little bit but you will end up in the same situation you are in now down the road. I went with old man Emu leaf packs and they are great, I recently went up to the hd pack also (just add another leaf) and its a firm ride in back, which i like.

As for the front you can just add a top spacer to achieve lift. its not ideal but is a cheap option for you. Without doing new upper control arms, you will run into coil bucket contact (CBC). again if money permits new coil overs and upper control arms are the way to go.

you'll need to factor in what you do with your x, the weight (added armor etc.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm mostly using it as a daily driver, only done very minor off-road stuff. Closest place I've been able to find to take it out is about 2 hours away. But that's also because I'm still trying to build it up a little bit to be more capable. I don't want to do anything too rough, I really can't afford to break anything major. :p

No armor yet besides the stock skid plate on front. I've put 33" duratracs on it. Im working on getting rear recovery points, and a hi-lift / comealong to use as a small winch. I might eventually put an actual winch on it.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
You do realize that your largest leaf it broke, right?!

I count 3 in the back and only 2 in the front so a piece of your leaf is gone. You need to replace your leafs first.

Since you don't really go offroading you don't need a full blown SL. Get an AAL and a spacer for the front. If you want better shocks up front try to find slightly used OffRoad/Pro4X shocks on here and add the spacers to them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
:laughing3:

Holy Hell! Good catch.

This is becoming my canned, "what lift should I get?" answer:

Nisstec dosn't advertize the package, but you if you call I'm sure they'd give you package pricing.
I'd recomend the following:
TMJ Extended travel Coilovers
SPC UCA
Adjustable shackles
TMJ rear shocks

That's about $1000, it will give you a lot more travel. In your case you'll also obviously need a replacement leaf pack. The OME MD should serve your purposes just fine. If you wanted to you could upgrade later with better shocks, shims etc. but it would give an excellent bang for your buck in the short term.

I run the SPC UCAs and I've had no problems, although I did have to grind the coil bucket (they revised the design so this issue shouldn't be as pevalent anymore).
I don't have any personal experience with the TMJ shocks, but, dang, the price is right.
Running just the shackles will flatten out your leaf packs, so you should plan on replacing them. It will be a little soft in the back until you do, but it'll be a nice flexy off road suspension. If you don't like it you can just get the AAL and set the adjustable shackle a little lower.

No need to run spacers with that setup.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
If you have any questions regarding lift options, pricing, and availability please feel free to either give us a call or send over an e-mail and we would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I count 3 in the back and only 2 in the front so a piece of your leaf is gone. You need to replace your leafs first.

Since you don't really go offroading you don't need a full blown SL. Get an AAL and a spacer for the front. If you want better shocks up front try to find slightly used OffRoad/Pro4X shocks on here and add the spacers to them.
Hahahah oh man, I didn't even notice that... it's actually the second one from the bottom x right by the U bolt. Passenger side is okay. Well, that answers my AAL or full replacement question!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Keep an eye on that passenger side leaf. When my drivers side went it nearly put a hole in my gas tank. There was a serious gouge that it put in the tank. Then driving down some dirt roads the passenger side went and the piece of leaf somehow wedged itself sideways and was sticking out the side of my X!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Baker wins today's forum with eagle eyes.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I advised the OP to look at these (yes I know they are the same, giving him buying options):

Nisstec:

http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58956&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Rugged Rocks:

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/15-lift-rear-leaf-spring-for-2005-2011-nissan-xterra-by-old-man-emu-p-36019.html?osCsid=f1k0cul3b7cvl2qt62uia8odm7

Since he has to get new leaf packs, why not get good ones that add lift.

I know a couple of people have picked these up, any advise for the OP?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have the old man emu leaf packs (started with medium pack then upgraded to HD pack with the additional add a leaf). They are awesome... just awesome.

I lucked out and got a pair before their stock sky rocketed in the states and had a half week wait time for mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the old man emu leaf packs (started with medium pack then upgraded to HD pack with the additional add a leaf). They are awesome... just awesome.

I lucked out and got a pair before their stock sky rocketed in the states and had a half week wait time for mine.

On that note...where did you get them from? I'm looking at the OME suspension lift package on Nisstec, is there a place online that might be cheaper?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hey neighbor .. I say for now since your on a budget find a set of used one leaf Springs (pro4x/S/offroad all the same) if you can and run add a leafs with it . I replaced my oem leafs that had about 120k on them a set of oem pro4x leafs that had 10k on them along with my cheapo ebay aals. I have been wheeling the heck out of them for 3 yrs now no issues knock ebay aals all you want lol . you can expect to pay $50-100 for a set of low miles oem leafs . Ebay aals will give you 1.5-2" lift and run 2" spacers up front and you won't have too much coil bucket contact.
just my .02:eek:ccasion5:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts