Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've about had it.
To solve the bottoming out problem that the poorly designed leaf springs create, I put a Calmini shackle lift on the back of my '06 OR. Looks great and problem solved.
Unfortunately, the rear is much higher than the front now and since I have a little rubbing in the front from the larger tires, I figured I should install some spacers to even out the front with the back.
This is where everything gets frustrating...

After installing the spacers, I predictably get contact with the UCA and the coil bucket. It's loud and annoying. I put the rubber tubing on the UCAs, as suggested somewhere else in the forum, and the sound gets a little less annoying.
Add to that, I honestly feel that the shocks are bottoming out, thus creating noise as well. Looks like I need longer shocks. (read: $$$)

But the worst of all is the enhanced spring rate. With that extra space created between the control arms, the springs are a little tighter/more compressed and respond accordingly. Going over speed-bumps is maddening...*WHAM!!* :tard:
What happened to "retains the factory ride"?
Will longer shocks solve this problem??

On top of all of this, the front is now 3/4" higher than the back. It may not look like much, but it is annoying to me, personally. So now I am looking to do the AAL mod to even things out, but fear there will be vibration from the drivetrain as a result of the extra 1 1/2". I've only read about this on other threads, but suspect it will be an issue.
Should I be concerned??

All I wanted to do was get about 2" - (front and back) of lift with no change to how the truck drives around town.
Now I am spending money getting more lift than I really need. What I really need is a 1" spacer kit for the front.
:banghead:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What spacer kit did you go with?

Is the spacer on top of the shock? If so, that's not going to change your spring rate at all.

If you went with the Calmini Shackles and Spacers in the front you should be sitting about level.

Longer shocks are not going to do anything for you except cause your UCA contact worse.

Bottom line. What kit did you go with?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Like they said: What spacer kit did you go with? Calmini offers two different ones... a 2" for the 4x4's and a 3" for the 4x2's... with the 2" the uca bump should not be that bad on either vehicle.

If all else fails, you can give PRG a holler and he will machine up some 1" or 1.5" lift spacers that will keep the factory stance (the back a little higher than the front)

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for writing back so quickly, guys.

I installed the Top Gun Spacers. They sit on top of the shock mount rather then most spacers that squeeze between the spring and the mount.
I took some pics (below). You can see where I put the rubber tubing.

Honestly, I'm wondering if I damaged something during the install, although I don't know how or what...

·
on line
152 Posts
this might be a long shot but i noticed you have an Offroad and mcampana has an S. would the different shocks have a very slight difference is travel, the way the spring sits on the perch, or something crazy like that would cause more UCA contact.

So i wonder if this issue concerning more UCA contact for some people has to do with the different shocks on different models.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have to run so just to touch on a point. The spacers you have are the common way to lift the new X. The spacers that go inside the shock (between the spring and the spring plate are not common in the Xterra world.

Again, your setup...no increase in spring rate.

As for contact vs no contact. It seems that every X is slightly different as some people get contact and some don't. I would say that many the spacers are different. Not just between brands, but from spacer to spacer from the same brand, but seeing as some people are having problems with contact with top guns and some are not, same with PRG and Calmini.

One thing that might be different. Mark has a lot of additional weight on the front. That will cause the springs to sag some and widen the gap between the UCA and the spring bucket.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Muzikman said:
Again, your setup...no increase in spring rate.

One thing that might be different. Mark has a lot of additional weight on the front. That will cause the springs to sag some and widen the gap between the UCA and the spring bucket.
The more I think about it, you're absolutely right. ..There should be no increase in spring rate. But boy, does it ever feel like it. The ride up front is a bit more firm and like I said, going over speed bumps or any drop in pavement that makes the wheels drop quickly results in a horrible slamming sound.

As far as the weight up front, I have a bull bar with Daylighters installed, so there is a little more weight. (pic below).
My other thought was maybe the weight of the larger tires contributes somehow (BFG 285/75R - 16)

At this point, I'd be happy with the setup if I could just get rid of the horrible noises over sharp bumps.

·
on line
48 Posts
A set of new UCA's would probably do the job.

·
on line
5 Posts
Duck, I have had the same problem with my daystar spacers. I have an Off Road as well but with 265’s . Going over speed bumps is embarrassing unless I take it slow. I have kind of learned to live with it over the last year. I thought about getting the Total Chaos UCA’s, but their website states it reduces contact. For 500 bucks plus install, I want to know its going to be fixed.. I am almost ready to take off the lift unless someone with the same problem can tell me how they eliminated the contact. I left a few posts with pictures right after the Daystar lift came out describing exactly what you stated above, but at the time it seemed I was the only one.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
You won't eliminate the contact unless you change your components.

The "slamming" sound you're hearing is occurring during wheel-drop, not wheel-lift. In other words, if you hit a speed bump, you'd hear the "slam" when your tires drop down the bump, not when they initially hit it. Heavier tires exacerbate this.

That's your shocks topping-out.

I'm a firm believer that there are drastic differences in driving style and opinions amongst this group. You may feel like your truck is driving like crap after the lift, while another guy with the same lift might be surprised with how his ride has improved.

·
on line
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Syndicate,
I think you're right on - I don't think it's the UCAs contacting (although this does happen sometimes), I think it has more to do with the shocks.
And you're right, it only happens when the wheel drops.

This is the reason I asked earlier if different/longer shocks would help.
I'm half-tempted to put longer shocks in there and see what happens, but I was hoping somebody on here could give me some insight so I don't waste the money.

I also agree with your assessment on the subjective feeling of driving styles.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
It sucks that you're unsatisfied with your lift. Believe me, I feel your pain.

If you think you "top-out" hard with the Top Gunz, you should feel how hard my old AC coils used to "top-out" with my old Rancho 9000's.

If you want a solution, just try to alter your driving pattern when you cross a speed-bump. It's not necessarily about going slower, but more about interrupting the undulation with a quick brake tap. As far as I can tell, that's really the only solution.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
If you could find a longer shock to run on our vehicles it would only amplify the coil bucket contact problem.
You can't do much for the topping out issue since you've still got stock springs... they won't top out any worse than a completely stock set-up because there's no additional spring pressure.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
If you could find a longer shock to run on our vehicles it would only amplify the coil bucket contact problem.
You can't do much for the topping out issue since you've still got stock springs... they won't top out any worse than a completely stock set-up because there's no additional spring pressure.
^^^^ Correct.

If you are seriously hearing a metal on metal contact, that is not your shocks topping out, that is your UCA hitting the spring bucket. If you do spend the money on the TC UCA that will cure the contact with your setup.

·
on line
776 Posts
bucket tap

Hello, will the TC uca's cure the tap dance with a 3" spacer as well??? Or just help (but not cure) the problem? Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts