Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
We just installed prg shackles and Firestone air bags on my dads '11 pro4x w/ 30k. Stock shocks, no aal.

It rides silky smooth on the road. It is surprising how good it rides (10 psi in air bags). Significantly better than stock imo.

We also towed my boat with it (4000 lbs, 400-450lbs tongue wt). It was also an extremely comfortable ride. Waaaaaay better than my ome hd leafs. No comparison at all. Truck still sat with stock rake with the boat hooked up and 30 psi in the air bags. I am very impressed with them and will be installing them on my stock '15 very soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
We just installed prg shackles and Firestone air bags on my dads '11 pro4x w/ 30k. Stock shocks, no aal.

It rides silky smooth on the road. It is surprising how good it rides (10 psi in air bags). Significantly better than stock imo.

We also towed my boat with it (4000 lbs, 400-450lbs tongue wt). It was also an extremely comfortable ride. Waaaaaay better than my ome hd leafs. No comparison at all. Truck still sat with stock rake with the boat hooked up and 30 psi in the air bags. I am very impressed with them and will be installing them on my stock '15 very soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
So advice question, I have a dual swing wrap around bumper and a aftermarket front bumper (Will eventually get a winch for it with Synth rope)as well, I just purchased Dakar leaf pack and the PRG shackle and the OME rear shocks was thinking about firestone airbags, and eventually going to get the front OME HD spring and shock, but I was wondering if the Airbags would work on that setup ? and also if i would need shims?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using a digital protractor and a level on the drive shaft and the
pinion flange netted a 4 1/2 degree deflection and it was noisy.
After installing the 4 degree shims the difference in angles was
real close to zero and the driveline is now quiet.

Best to measure angles before you tear it apart so you have
a base line. The CV joint wears to a particular pattern and likes
to be in the same place. Pinion angle on mine was real close to
zero from the factory.

Pinion Angle - Wolfe Race Craft

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Driveline 101

More info that goes way beyond what you really need to get
it all together for now.

Good Luck and be carefull.
Should i get the 4 degree shim as well for the rear dakar shock and leaf and prg shackle with the front ome and HD spring or get a digital protractor and measure to see what shim id need?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
So advice question, I have a dual swing wrap around bumper and a aftermarket front bumper (Will eventually get a winch for it with Synth rope)as well, I just purchased Dakar leaf pack and the PRG shackle and the OME rear shocks was thinking about firestone airbags, and eventually going to get the front OME HD spring and shock, but I was wondering if the Airbags would work on that setup ? and also if i would need shims?
Funny you should ask - I just got done titan swapping my dads truck and used OME lt/med leaf packs with the prg shackles. Planning to re-install the firestone air bags soon. You will need longer carriage bolts for the bottom bracket and a spacer for the airbags. the thickness of the spacer really depends on how far your ome shocks let the suspension droop, but you probably need around 2" spacers for the airbags.

We used 2.5* steel shims and there are no driveline vibes with the shackles on the lowest setting (haven't tried higher, but I don't expect any issues).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny you should ask - I just got done titan swapping my dads truck and used OME lt/med leaf packs with the prg shackles. Planning to re-install the firestone air bags soon. You will need longer carriage bolts for the bottom bracket and a spacer for the airbags. the thickness of the spacer really depends on how far your ome shocks let the suspension droop, but you probably need around 2" spacers for the airbags.

We used 2.5* steel shims and there are no driveline vibes with the shackles on the lowest setting (haven't tried higher, but I don't expect any issues).
So, real dumb question:

I just bought a 2008 Xterra S and my pre-inspection report said the front end was okay for an 11 year old truck with 153k on the clock (so, not great). I'm thinking of doing a similar setup to what you did on your dad's truck. Out of the box, with stock Titan components, how much lift does that give you on the front?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
So, real dumb question:

I just bought a 2008 Xterra S and my pre-inspection report said the front end was okay for an 11 year old truck with 153k on the clock (so, not great). I'm thinking of doing a similar setup to what you did on your dad's truck. Out of the box, with stock Titan components, how much lift does that give you on the front?
Depends on what coilover and spring rate you run. Most are around 3-4” lift with the Titan swap

81 - 86 of 86 Posts