Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand the physics of suspension systems to a degree. Enough to be dangerous.

Tougher stronger springs obviously you put more weight on those, and they will go "down" less then a weaker spring. So if you put a heavy bumper/winch/plow on the front of your vehicle, installing bigger springs will keep your front end from sagging.

I read but didn't understand about coil spacers? Is that basically a cheaper way of obtaining the same result as increasing coil sturdiness/strength?

From what I understand, both a stronger bigger coil, as well as some coil spacers can provide a lift?

What exactly is a lift kit? I know it lifts the vehicle and can provide more ground clearance etc... but exactly how is that accomplished?

Do bigger stronger coils &/or coil spacers have any effect on your front end alignment? If I put in new coils/spacers do I need to have the front end of my X realigned?

What exactly is bucket contact? Is that a bad thing?

What is a UCA? Is that upper control arm? Why does one need to replace the Upper control arm, or any of the arms? What about brake lines? Do they have to be replaced in a lift?

I have a stock 2012 Pro-4X, am getting a Shrockworks bumper (No extra lights or top bars) am going to get a 10 Warn Zeon Plat winch, Don't know yet if I am going to get it with the synthetic rope or wire rope. I am going to mount the removable control housing to the interior of the engine compartment too.

I can't afford $1500 for a new front end suspension. What is the least inexpensive way to provide some lift or at least some extra support for the bumper and winch?

What are Shackles? I saw something about greasable 2.5" shackles? Are greaseable any advantage? Where do these go? I take it they are somewhat visable as I saw a choice of colors you can get them in?

Here are two examples of needing a better explanation.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_xterra_front_lift_spacers_and_mini_kits/

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22025

Which one do I get? Both? Or is there something else better for the same price range??? Or am I totally off base?

Thanks

TGC

·
on line
1,420 Posts
I understand the physics of suspension systems to a degree. Enough to be dangerous.

Tougher stronger springs obviously you put more weight on those, and they will go "down" less then a weaker spring. So if you put a heavy bumper/winch/plow on the front of your vehicle, installing bigger springs will keep your front end from sagging.
Correct...if you add heavy steel bumper up front, you will "want" to upgrade the coil springs on the front to heavier duty set up to keep the front from sagging and nose diving on braking, etc...

most go OME 608 i believe are the heavier duty front coils...but full on coilovers are available as well........

I read but didn't understand about coil spacers? Is that basically a cheaper way of obtaining the same result as increasing coil sturdiness/strength?
Coil spacers:
Most mount on top of the coilover, and give you 3 more bolts for installing back on your Xterra. see the spacer adds length to the suspension coil shock system. thus forcing your control arms down...this raise the truck, but eliminates down travel becuase you are using some up right from the start? get it?

From what I understand, both a stronger bigger coil, as well as some coil spacers can provide a lift?
well, yes, many options out there, but people do buy stronger coils, and add spacers, combo parts up, etc, yes it provides lift.

What exactly is a lift kit? I know it lifts the vehicle and can provide more ground clearance etc... but exactly how is that accomplished?
So, thats a very hard question to answer because its a loosely used term, but in the end there are many options of parts you can buy. however, looking at the "kits" that most 4x4 websites sell.....they call them kits and sell them that way, but no two kits are alike, some have different parts than others - but in the end, the end result is to lift the xterra.

Do bigger stronger coils &/or coil spacers have any effect on your front end alignment? If I put in new coils/spacers do I need to have the front end of my X realigned?
yes of course, if you lift the xterra, your gonna need to buy camber alignment bolts for the front (takes 4 of them) and your alignment shop will have to adjust to get you back into spec.

now, you cant go more than 2.5 inch lift max (depending on set up) with just camber alignment bolts. even then, and definitely higher, your gnna need adjustable upper control arms.

What exactly is bucket contact? Is that a bad thing?
well, after you lift the truck - say with a coil spacer - the upper arm is forced downward and when you hit bumps you can have the upper control arm hit the top of the coil bucket structure...search and you will find pictures of this on this site.

its not a "BAD" thing for the daily driver, occasional dirt road guy, but for those that off road heavily for sport, of course its not wanted as it limits travel, etc...

What is a UCA? Is that upper control arm? Why does one need to replace the Upper control arm, or any of the arms? What about brake lines? Do they have to be replaced in a lift?
yes, upper control arm, and again depending on lift and alignment yes you will need to. dont go over 2 inch or 2.5 inch lift and you will be fine.

brake lines no, if your going to 2.5 inch lift max...but its recommended as you will need longer as you articulate suspension...

I have a stock 2012 Pro-4X, am getting a Shrockworks bumper (No extra lights or top bars) am going to get a 10 Warn Zeon Plat winch, Don't know yet if I am going to get it with the synthetic rope or wire rope. I am going to mount the removable control housing to the interior of the engine compartment too.

I can't afford $1500 for a new front end suspension. What is the least inexpensive way to provide some lift or at least some extra support for the bumper and winch?
ome hd coils and spacer up front, paired with bilstein 5100 shocks?? probably the cheapest option for you?

What are Shackles? I saw something about greasable 2.5" shackles? Are greaseable any advantage? Where do these go? I take it they are somewhat visable as I saw a choice of colors you can get them in?
shackles are the links in the very back of your xterra leaf springs. again look more on this site..longer ones are used to help raise teh rear of the xterra.

they help lift the rear - they are another option, but there is also AAL (add a leaf) and other options u can choise to raise the rear. they are just one of the cheaper options.

Thanks

TGC
welcome, hope i made some sense, helped...others im sure will chime in.

-J

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Correct...if you add heavy steel bumper up front, you will "want" to upgrade the coil springs on the front to heavier duty set up to keep the front from sagging and nose diving on braking, etc...

most go OME 608 i believe are the heavier duty front coils...but full on coilovers are available as well........

Coil spacers:
Most mount on top of the coilover, and give you 3 more bolts for installing back on your Xterra. see the spacer adds length to the suspension coil shock system. thus forcing your control arms down...this raise the truck, but eliminates down travel becuase you are using some up right from the start? get it?

well, yes, many options out there, but people do buy stronger coils, and add spacers, combo parts up, etc, yes it provides lift.

So, thats a very hard question to answer because its a loosely used term, but in the end there are many options of parts you can buy. however, looking at the "kits" that most 4x4 websites sell.....they call them kits and sell them that way, but no two kits are alike, some have different parts than others - but in the end, the end result is to lift the xterra.

yes of course, if you lift the xterra, your gonna need to buy camber alignment bolts for the front (takes 4 of them) and your alignment shop will have to adjust to get you back into spec.

now, you cant go more than 2.5 inch lift max (depending on set up) with just camber alignment bolts. even then, and definitely higher, your gnna need adjustable upper control arms.

well, after you lift the truck - say with a coil spacer - the upper arm is forced downward and when you hit bumps you can have the upper control arm hit the top of the coil bucket structure...search and you will find pictures of this on this site.

its not a "BAD" thing for the daily driver, occasional dirt road guy, but for those that off road heavily for sport, of course its not wanted as it limits travel, etc...

yes, upper control arm, and again depending on lift and alignment yes you will need to. dont go over 2 inch or 2.5 inch lift and you will be fine.

brake lines no, if your going to 2.5 inch lift max...but its recommended as you will need longer as you articulate suspension...

ome hd coils and spacer up front, paired with bilstein 5100 shocks?? probably the cheapest option for you?

shackles are the links in the very back of your xterra leaf springs. again look more on this site..longer ones are used to help raise teh rear of the xterra.

they help lift the rear - they are another option, but there is also AAL (add a leaf) and other options u can choise to raise the rear. they are just one of the cheaper options.

welcome, hope i made some sense, helped...others im sure will chime in.

-J
Are these the OME 608 your referring too:

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58926&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

So what if I had a 2.5" Greasable Shackle to the rear.... Then 2" spacers up front?

I provided for a link.... I noticed one spacer was made of Rubber and went in the middle of the spring coil over. The other was aluminum and went at the top??? One better than the other?

Would it be bad to just use the spacers, or just use the new OME 608 coils? or use both of those without the bilstein 5100's?

If I do a 2" lift, do you know if I upgrade to 33" tires if I still need to do the melt mod?

With the 2.5" Shackles in the back. Does it provide more ground clearance in the rear? Obviously it won't provide more ground clearance for the differential. Or does it just give extra support if you are pulling a trailer. Or both?

Here are some links to what I was thinking???

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58946&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58926&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59033&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Thoughts about going this route? Would this give me support for my front bumper and winch and a 2" lift for better ground clearance?

Would this allow me better performance when I go to "Gone Moab 2016" to handle more trails better?

Thanks again

TGC

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
1. Coil spacers do not achieve the same result as adding a stronger spring with a stiffer spring rate. It's more like installing a longer spring, therefore raising the ride height of the vehicle.

Yes a bigger coil and a spacer will provide lift but only in the front. You would need to match the lift height in the back.

Front lift can be achieved a number of ways from spacers to taller coils or drop brackets.

Rear lift can be done with an add-a-leaf which adds a single leaf to your existing leaf spring pack and is a common inexpensive way of achieving lift.

You can also replace your rear leaf pack entirely with a custom set from ALCAN or Deaver which can be ordered to suit your liking with specified lift heights and spring rate. So for example, if you towed something regularly like a camper and wanted a small lift, you'd tell them you wanted a 2" lift spring with a spring rate 400 lbs over stock.

Another way to achieve rear lift is SHACKLES. These connect the leaf spring to the frame. A longer shackle extends the distance between the shackle and the frame therefore pushing the axle down and the truck up. Greasable shackles allow you to service the shackle adding grease for lubrication. Very few vehicles come from the factory with readable shackles because it is not a necessity and they last a long time.

Generally when you lift a vehicle, you change the suspension geometry. Your truck may drive straight but the camber (angle of the tires from top to bottom), will likely be affected causing uneven tire wear. It is always best to plan for an alignment after a lift.

UCA = upper control arm. LCA = lower control arms.
These don't always need to be changed. It depends on your lift and what your planning to do with it. Generally tubular UCA SETUP like the one from PRG are used to increase suspension travel.

Brake lines also depend on your lift. Generally 2" or so and you'll be fine with stock.

Here is a cheap lift from nisstec but it won't do much for added coil strength.

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58955&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

The PRG coil spacers you have listed will provide you lift but not a stronger front spring rate.

The sumo springs you have listed actually slide into your factory coil and add resistance to the springs compression. Therefore decreasing the sag in your truck when you add weight. I have these on the back of my expedition that I tow my RV with. They didn't do much for sag but they made a noticeable difference in combating the sway caused by a 32 ft camper.

Yes you will need the melt mod to run 33s

Yes 2.5 in shackles will provide clearance. They LIFT the vehicle. They will do nothing to combat sway.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Your killing me with this F'n melt mod bug.. I've answered that question for you like 3 times in the last week in different threads. YOU NEED TO DO THE DAMN MELT MOD WITH 33" TIRES!!! It takes like 5 minutes. Stop asking and just do it. There are literally hundreds of threads that answer all the questions you have. Take the time and do some research because it seems like you don't want to educate yourself at all you want to be spoon fed information and when you don't like the answer you just keep asking over and over again to try to get different results....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your killing me with this F'n melt mod bug.. I've answered that question for you like 3 times in the last week in different threads. YOU NEED TO DO THE DAMN MELT MOD WITH 33" TIRES!!! It takes like 5 minutes. Stop asking and just do it. There are literally hundreds of threads that answer all the questions you have. Take the time and do some research because it seems like you don't want to educate yourself at all you want to be spoon fed information and when you don't like the answer you just keep asking over and over again to try to get different results....
Totally do not understand the fear of the dreaded "melt mod" around here sometimes:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
TGC
I think you need to spend some more time reading what's already been posted, but it can be hard to find. I found these posts to be helpful, as I'm trying to learn about this stuff too.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1005843&postcount=1

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2004458&postcount=12

In defense of the OP, the "lift options" thread could use some updating IMO.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21796

On this site there are about 2 billion posts about suspension and lifts but it's hard to filter all the noise and get some quality information when you're trying to research options. Leading to the inevitable "CBC? melt mod??? OMG!" -> "SEARCH N00B!!!" threads. Again, just my opinion as someone who has been trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't either. If everything goes right, I'm picking up a brand new xterra tomorrow. On Sunday it will have the melt mod done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I vote we rename it to something less scary sounding. Gentle warmth and slight pressure mod!

Congrats on the new ride man:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
155 Posts
melt mod away its super easy and the risk of messing anything up is very unlikely.

close to 100% of your questions have been asked and answered here on the forums or can be read on nisstec or prg's website.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Correct. those are them. and if your going to get a aftermarket steel armor front bumper then your gonna 'want' that.

So what if I had a 2.5" Greasable Shackle to the rear.... Then 2" spacers up front?
Shackles:
would raise the rear yes

Spacers:
2 inch in front - i dont think you need them with the ome coils?? if anything maybe a prg 1 inch spacer. check prg's website.

see, on the link you provided for the OME coils it says "-Provides 1.5" of front lift when used with an extra 110+ lbs of front weight. Great for aftermarket front bumpers and winch combos!"

so, that means the coils themselves are longer and STRONGER and create lift themselves...."without" the need of a spacer, but if you want more than 1.5 inch of lift then you will need to add an additional spacer (1/2 inch max with stock shock top plate or install longer studs on the shock plate- read prg's site on these spacers) to get you to 2-2.5 inch.

I provided for a link.... I noticed one spacer was made of Rubber and went in the middle of the spring coil over. The other was aluminum and went at the top??? One better than the other?
when it comes to spacers, you want the one on top. easier to install because it doesn't require diss-assembly of the coil/shock assembly.

Would it be bad to just use the spacers, or just use the new OME 608 coils? or use both of those without the bilstein 5100's?
if you mean, use them with your oem existing shocks? sure you can, but whats the life left on your oem shocks? consider that, consider having to redo assemble with new shocks down the road when your current shocks (2012) give out.

If I do a 2" lift, do you know if I upgrade to 33" tires if I still need to do the melt mod?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! just do it, its easy, no one notices...u seem ocd on this, just don't look at it...let me tell you if this bothers you, then good luck...cause the day you drive away from the tire shop the few mile home on 33's and you hear and feel the rubbing you will be so annoyed with the rubbing sound and fact its damaging your tires you will be dropping everything to do the melt mod on the spot the moment you pull into your driveway.

I did this (drove home with 33's prior to doing mod with full intention of doing the melt mod) because i wanted to see "exactly where" i needed to "melt mod"

With the 2.5" Shackles in the back. Does it provide more ground clearance in the rear? Obviously it won't provide more ground clearance for the differential. Or does it just give extra support if you are pulling a trailer. Or both?
It lifts the vehicle. correct only larger wheels give axle/diff clearance.
does not give extra support - actually probably diminishes some as alters the angles of the leafs in manipulating their mount point to the frame.

Would this allow me better performance when I go to "Gone Moab 2016" to handle more trails better?
I cant comment on moab, never been - but i can say the general statement "well compared to stock, any type of lift will gain "some" performance gains over doing nothing.

Thanks again

TGC
So, something im reading from your posting? if you plan or think you may tow a trailer, plus your adding armor to your xterra....

I really believe you need to do the following:

Front:
Coils: HD to handle your front bumper:

Camber bolts:
your forgetting you need this:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_cams/

PRG 1/2 inch spacer:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/frontier-xterra-12-lift-spacer/

Those 3 parts will lift the front, support your heavier bumper and should get you into alignment at a max 2-2.5 inch lift height.

REAR:
lift the rear via AAL: (add a leaf's):
I suggest this, because you are increasing your load rating to HD springs, yet with shackles like yoru thinking will only lift your xterra and not gain you any heavier duty capacity.

I suggest you get these to lift the rear:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-25-dual-aal/
im suggesting the 2 leaf AAL because if your adding front armor bumper, im guessing one day you will want rear armor bumper, so might as well get the two leaf AAL that can support that over the one leaf AAL PRG sells.

you will also need:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-shim/
The shims help point the diff / axle angle back to tolerable angle.

Done

Other recommendations:
while your in the rear installing all this sheit - you may want to also consider:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-ubolt-flip-kit/
research why...

i saw you posted this:
so with that front bumper - get the HD ome 608 coils. done.
get synthetic rope.

now stop questioning and go buy everything....

Soooo, my suggestions are from what little I know of YOU from your postings and what your looking to do.....its a low cost set up that will get you learning your truck....form here you can and will learn more as you go....if i knew what i know now i would have gone a different route on my Xterra - its a learning process, but parts can be removed, sold to recup funds and bigger and badder stuff can be purchased.....

I'm in the process of ditching my front spacer and getting heavier coil ome 608 as well, because I'm also i the process of purchasing a front armor bumper..

no biggy, ill sell my front spacer for cheap to someone one day or give it to a buddy with an Xterra......

stop being nervous, just by the stuff and go for it.

-J

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you need to spend some more time reading what's already been posted, but it can be hard to find. I found these posts to be helpful, as I'm trying to learn about this stuff too.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1005843&postcount=1

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2004458&postcount=12

In defense of the OP, the "lift options" thread could use some updating IMO.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21796

On this site there are about 2 billion posts about suspension and lifts but it's hard to filter all the noise and get some quality information when you're trying to research options. Leading to the inevitable "CBC? melt mod??? OMG!" -> "SEARCH N00B!!!" threads. Again, just my opinion as someone who has been trying to figure this out.
I have found and read quite a few threads about suspension just enough to confuse me even more than I already am.

Then again, I am horrible with searches and trying to filter through all the stuff to get to the stuff that I can understand. Especially when a thread has several hundred posts or more. Sorry.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Correct. those are them. and if your going to get a aftermarket steel armor front bumper then your gonna 'want' that.

Shackles:
would raise the rear yes

Spacers:
2 inch in front - i dont think you need them with the ome coils?? if anything maybe a prg 1 inch spacer. check prg's website.

see, on the link you provided for the OME coils it says "-Provides 1.5" of front lift when used with an extra 110+ lbs of front weight. Great for aftermarket front bumpers and winch combos!"

so, that means the coils themselves are longer and STRONGER and create lift themselves...."without" the need of a spacer, but if you want more than 1.5 inch of lift then you will need to add an additional spacer (1/2 inch max with stock shock top plate or install longer studs on the shock plate- read prg's site on these spacers) to get you to 2-2.5 inch.

when it comes to spacers, you want the one on top. easier to install because it doesn't require diss-assembly of the coil/shock assembly.

if you mean, use them with your oem existing shocks? sure you can, but whats the life left on your oem shocks? consider that, consider having to redo assemble with new shocks down the road when your current shocks (2012) give out.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! just do it, its easy, no one notices...u seem ocd on this, just don't look at it...let me tell you if this bothers you, then good luck...cause the day you drive away from the tire shop the few mile home on 33's and you hear and feel the rubbing you will be so annoyed with the rubbing sound and fact its damaging your tires you will be dropping everything to do the melt mod on the spot the moment you pull into your driveway.

I did this (drove home with 33's prior to doing mod with full intention of doing the melt mod) because i wanted to see "exactly where" i needed to "melt mod"

It lifts the vehicle. correct only larger wheels give axle/diff clearance.
does not give extra support - actually probably diminishes some as alters the angles of the leafs in manipulating their mount point to the frame.

I cant comment on moab, never been - but i can say the general statement "well compared to stock, any type of lift will gain "some" performance gains over doing nothing.

So, something im reading from your posting? if you plan or think you may tow a trailer, plus your adding armor to your xterra....

I really believe you need to do the following:

Front:
Coils: HD to handle your front bumper:

Camber bolts:
your forgetting you need this:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/prg_cams/

PRG 1/2 inch spacer:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/frontier-xterra-12-lift-spacer/

Those 3 parts will lift the front, support your heavier bumper and should get you into alignment at a max 2-2.5 inch lift height.

REAR:
lift the rear via AAL: (add a leaf's):
I suggest this, because you are increasing your load rating to HD springs, yet with shackles like yoru thinking will only lift your xterra and not gain you any heavier duty capacity.

I suggest you get these to lift the rear:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-25-dual-aal/
im suggesting the 2 leaf AAL because if your adding front armor bumper, im guessing one day you will want rear armor bumper, so might as well get the two leaf AAL that can support that over the one leaf AAL PRG sells.

you will also need:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-shim/
The shims help point the diff / axle angle back to tolerable angle.

Done

Other recommendations:
while your in the rear installing all this sheit - you may want to also consider:
http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/xterra-ubolt-flip-kit/
research why...

i saw you posted this:

so with that front bumper - get the HD ome 608 coils. done.
get synthetic rope.

now stop questioning and go buy everything....

Soooo, my suggestions are from what little I know of YOU from your postings and what your looking to do.....its a low cost set up that will get you learning your truck....form here you can and will learn more as you go....if i knew what i know now i would have gone a different route on my Xterra - its a learning process, but parts can be removed, sold to recup funds and bigger and badder stuff can be purchased.....

I'm in the process of ditching my front spacer and getting heavier coil ome 608 as well, because I'm also i the process of purchasing a front armor bumper..

no biggy, ill sell my front spacer for cheap to someone one day or give it to a buddy with an Xterra......

stop being nervous, just by the stuff and go for it.

-J
Thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it. Just trying to understand concepts and what the rationale is to things. I could tell someone how to make a great BBQ Brisket, but that doesn't mean they understand what's going on to make it so great. So I do appreciate the time. More than likely I will go the route you suggested. Just trying to understand the reasoning.

Will the "Ride" be the same with stiffer coils? or will be a rougher ride? As in going over a speed bump. Will it feel like it does now, or will it feel like I am hitting a brick wall, or will I even notice the speed bump? Not that it matters, just curious how stiffer coils will effect the ride?

Ok correct me if I am wrong.... Coils provide for a stiffer/softer suspension. Stiffer coils will give more height, or prevent sagging on front ends with more weight from bumpers/plows/winches, but will provide a rougher ride? Softer coils provide a smoother softer ride, but will sag more from more weight? As far as the spacers that go on the top of the coil, that is like making the coil longer. Do I have that right???

So if I am replacing coils, why not just get a longer stiffer coil instead of a coil spacer??? or am I missing something?

I was asking about if I could use my current stock shocks, because the dealer just replaced them with brand new ones before I bought the vehicle. So was wondering how long I could get by on the stock shocks. Trying to keep costs to a minimum at least for a while.

What advantage do I gain from using different shocks? Smoother ride over more bumpier road? Or is it more about Wheel travel?

Now about labor... is this something I should have someone do all or part of? Or is some of it I can do? If so about how much should I expect to pay someone for the labor??

TGC

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally do not understand the fear of the dreaded "melt mod" around here sometimes:dontknow:
Well some things I get really quickly, if it's math, I can figure it in my head, other stuff, it takes a bit for me to grasp. Sorry. Just things that can't be reversed/undone scare me sometimes. lol

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it. Just trying to understand concepts and what the rationale is to things. I could tell someone how to make a great BBQ Brisket, but that doesn't mean they understand what's going on to make it so great. So I do appreciate the time. More than likely I will go the route you suggested. Just trying to understand the reasoning.

Will the "Ride" be the same with stiffer coils? or will be a rougher ride? As in going over a speed bump. Will it feel like it does now, or will it feel like I am hitting a brick wall, or will I even notice the speed bump? Not that it matters, just curious how stiffer coils will effect the ride?

Ok correct me if I am wrong.... Coils provide for a stiffer/softer suspension. Stiffer coils will give more height, or prevent sagging on front ends with more weight from bumpers/plows/winches, but will provide a rougher ride? Softer coils provide a smoother softer ride, but will sag more from more weight? As far as the spacers that go on the top of the coil, that is like making the coil longer. Do I have that right???

So if I am replacing coils, why not just get a longer stiffer coil instead of a coil spacer??? or am I missing something?

I was asking about if I could use my current stock shocks, because the dealer just replaced them with brand new ones before I bought the vehicle. So was wondering how long I could get by on the stock shocks. Trying to keep costs to a minimum at least for a while.

What advantage do I gain from using different shocks? Smoother ride over more bumpier road? Or is it more about Wheel travel?

Now about labor... is this something I should have someone do all or part of? Or is some of it I can do? If so about how much should I expect to pay someone for the labor??

TGC
I'm at a loss for words... Sorry brother but I think you need to spend some time on the phone with nisstec or prg. The amount of questions following answers is overwhelming and you'd be better off just calling a suspension expert to get a good understanding.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well some things I get really quickly, if it's math, I can figure it in my head, other stuff, it takes a bit for me to grasp. Sorry. Just things that can't be reversed/undone scare me sometimes. lol
It's fine man, just giving you hell. This is something that even if you had to trade it in tomorrow nobody would be the wiser. We're talking about pushing in the fender liner a hair. It still appears stock even after you do it:eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
14,613 Posts
You can buy as many suspension types as you like.
it is not a buy once irreversible decision.

i have had a PRG 2.5 inch lift
and a Titan swap(sway away).
I skipped spacers as I think they are dumb.

I have had 3-5 diff covers,
2 racks types
2 rear bumpers
the list goes on........

I have a friend that ask for advice but never takes it.

I no longer give him advice, even when he ask for it now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm at a loss for words... Sorry brother but I think you need to spend some time on the phone with nisstec or prg. The amount of questions following answers is overwhelming and you'd be better off just calling a suspension expert to get a good understanding.
I will do that... but that still doesn't negate my appreciation for you at least trying to attempt to help me. I do sincerely appreciate your help.

Thanks

TGC

1 - 20 of 86 Posts