Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy the pads/hold downs for my existing roof rack to hold down my surfboard. I'm looking for recommendations on what you guys have used. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct the ones for surfboards are basically soft pads with a support to hold down the board. Most are small and don't go over the round Xterra tubing.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What if you took the 'pool tube' type ones and zip ties them the the rack as well as latch em down with a strap?

Or look for 3" foam tube insulation at Home Depot. Zip tie em around the cross bars and then ratchet strap the board down onto them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use soft pads on the cross bars, and hold it down with padded straps. You can pick these up at your local surf shop.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
I always used to use the Home Depot foam pipe insulation on my OEM crossbars for transporting my surf kayak, only I wrapped the pads and bars with duct tape and they stayed on all the time. It kept the foam protected and made it easier to slide the yak on without the pads rotating, tearing and or sliding off. If I ever wanted to take them off then a single cut in the tape along the opening of the foam tube was all it took.

It was cheap, easy, highly effective, and the best part was nobody would ever steal it off your rack like the thief who took my spendy Dakine pads before I went the cheap route....and I was out in the surf playing at the time it happened.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
Another vote for pipe insulation/pool noodles/towels. Everyone knows the less stuff you buy to surf with, the higher your core score gets. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts